Hi, I'm new to Android OS and Galaxy Note. Help with USB storage!

trinxified

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. I came from crackberry.com forums, and I just recently switched from a BlackBerry to Android (Galaxy Note). I'm from Toronto, Canada and my carrier is Telus.

I'm still learning and getting the hang of the Android OS but the one thing I can't seem to figure out is USB storage. It says that my phone should have 16GB of space to install apps/games, etc... Also, anyone know how I can update the OS? (especially when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out)

I can't seem to figure out how to access the USB storage that has about 11GB available. All my apps/games are installing on the 2GB system storage, and I don't want all of it to stay there. How to move it?

I currently don't have a SD card yet, but is there a way to move the apps/games to the available USB storage?

Thanks for the help guys! Welcome me to Android! :)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Hi, I'm new to Android OS and Galaxy Note. Help with USB stor

For OS updates... they will be automatically pushed to the phone.. or you can go to Menu.. Settings.. About phone.. System updates. Keep an eye on the forums and homepage blog here for any info for your device.

As for storage...theres 16 GB of Internal Storage.
16 GB internal storage, raw hardware
12.9 GB internal storage, available to user

3 GB is being used for the OS.. thats why it's only showing 12-13 GB available. Not all apps can be moved... I'm not too familiar with that device but you can try going to Manage Applications in the settings.. clicking on an app and see if theres an option to "move to sd card"

Someone that actually owns the device should be able to help you out better with the apps and storage space question.

Edit: info about sd card fixed.

Last edited:

trinxified

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for reply. When moving apps/games, it only shows move to SD card. I cannot use the 11GB that is available in USB storage. :(

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Sorry.. after some research I just realized that the Note DOES have an external storage (SD) capacity of up to 32 GB

trinxified

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site

Sorry.. after some research I just realized that the Note DOES have an external storage (SD) capacity of up to 32 GB

I don't have SD card at the moment, so I was hoping I can use that 11GB available in the USB storage...

Anyone know how it works?

Professor777

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

The phone comes with 16 Gb, some of which is System and you can"t touch it, so don't worry about the System allocation.
You can add SD storage up to 32 gigs. the phone automatically stores to the default on-board storage area. You only store to the SD what you send there, such as pics or apps. some apps give you the option of where to store them, most don't.

Never store apps that have widgets or timing alarms to the SD storage, it will break the app and crash either the app or the whole phone.

zviki

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Some models have 32GB internal storage I think.
I never had problems with alarm apps saved on SD.
I have external SD card and I don't know if apps to internal SD work but it's strange that apps can't be stored on internal SD. On some forum I read that apps2sd app will move apps on internal SD

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shengkasilu Skl

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
hi! i'm massi from afghanistan i have problem with my phone galaxy note. i have free 12GB in SD card but my US storge is full i can't use any app cuz i don't have free space n in USB sotrge. can any 1 tell me plz how to move apps and pics from USB sotrge to SD card.

lgpars

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
When the app says Move to SD Card, believe me when I say it does go to your phone's storage and not an external SD card because I have tried continually to get some of my apps onto my external SD card and cannot do it. It's very confusing for them to call the phone's internal storage an "SD card." I am going through a mess with my Note right now because my first external SD card got damaged somehow (who knows how) and I had to put in a new card. I had my music and photos on the external SD card and lost it all. Now I cannot get it back onto my new external SD card. When I initially went into Kies Air, it had a page that said I could import my IPad photos to my phone so I clicked on it and checked the box to use the SD storage first (which I thought would send it to my external SD card....WRONG) and the pics downloaded from my IPad very nicely but went into the phone's internal memory and not my external SD card. I could not get them to go to my external SD card correctly and ended up reformatting the card which was a mistake. Anyway I have a nice mess and am going down to AT&T today and see if I can get them to help me. Android should make it easier to store things on your external SD card. What's the use to have one in your phone if it is such a hard process. I am not computer savoy much so it's doubly hard for me. I'm ready to go back to the IPhone myself. All this Android stuff is too complicated for me!!

Bradah

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey dude ICS came out like ages ago lol even in my country New Zealand not popular at all)
And app data actually goes to the USB storage (11gb one not the 2gb sotrage only app saves got to 2gb storage i have over 50 games like seriously and i used only 1.75 gb of the 2gb usb storage and 20gb of app data in 11gb and 16gb sotrage.

tulikabans

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i am also facing the same problem. i just bought a samsung s advance that has 1.8GB of system storage and 11GB of USB storage and i don't have any external SD card. By default all my apps gets downloaded on system storage. On the app button says "move to SD", when i press it, its says "your phone does not have a SD card. Insert SD card". Isn't there any way to move the apps from system storage to USB storage without any need to buy an external SD card??? My complete USB storage of 11GB is free and i am not able to use it. Please help!!!!!!!

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned numerous times in multiple other forums as well, anything that is ice cream sandwich or above as the os cannot move apps to the sd memory partition or card.

This is a limitation imposed by Google, no one else. There are some roms out there that are supposed to have restored the function, but from what I have read is that they can be hit our miss, meaning possible corrupted apps and data.

It's not wrong to fondle the s pen.