Just got the Skyrocket!! My initial review

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello all, on Friday I left Verizon for AT&T and got the Skyrocket! I'm very happy with my decision. I waited and shopped around. Wanted to stay with Verizon but they just did not have any phones that really appealed to me. I'm a heavy researcher, so I really look into phones before I decide on my next one.

I was hesitant to leave Verizon since I have not had any problems with them for the 2 years I was with them and had my OG Droid. Service was excellent, no dropped calls and fast & consistent data coverage. After asking family, friends, and co-workers who have AT&T I was reassured my coverage and data speeds would be good. So far I can say that's true. I have achieved the same quality of voice calls and data speeds on AT&T's HSPA+ (no LTE here yet) as I did with Verizon's 3G. I'm glad about that!

So anyway, I got the White Skyrocket with the Otterbox Commuter Series case (dark blue) and in advance purchased a 32GB Micro SDHC Class 10 card off Newegg.

I am loving everything about this phone! It performs flawlessly! The processor makes everything move blazing fast. Multitasking is effortless. I'm getting used to Android 2.3.5 as I came from 2.2 with my old OG Droid. I also like Samsung's UI over Android. I don't understand the complaints. You can customize and control how much you want to use from it. Except for the bottom row of icons. But even then you can customize the left 3 icons. I really love Super AMOLED, what a joy to view. I haven't experienced any screen defects like few have reported with other Super AMOLED phones. Everything is crisp, clear and bright. I love it. I consider myself an advanced user and I have no complaints so far. I'm not one of the super tech users or whatever they like to be called; the ones that root and get really nit picky. So I won't notice the flaws they seem to.

I'm so glad I didn't wait around for the Galaxy Nexus! Yes I'm one of the few. :)

Reactions: Edge1978

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear you are enjoying your SR! It is a great phone! Although HD screens are coming out, this screen holds it own with them IMO and allows for better battery life which you will need in LTE areas.

Also Samsung has really improved upon touch wiz with TW 4. I still use launcher pro because I like 5 rows of icons not 4. I can actually leave it on touch wiz for days now when before I could not!

I might be interested in the 32GB Nexus but not the 16GB. Honestly, I think the SR will be as good when it does get ICS except for the screen resolution and again I think the SR screen holds up well. I was considering the LG Nitro with it's beautiful HD screen but the battery life on it killed that idea.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Glad to hear you are enjoying your SR! It is a great phone! Although HD screens are coming out, this screen holds it own with them IMO and allows for better battery life which you will need in LTE areas.

Also Samsung has really improved upon touch wiz with TW 4. I still use launcher pro because I like 5 rows of icons not 4. I can actually leave it on touch wiz for days now when before I could not!

I might be interested in the 32GB Nexus but not the 16GB. Honestly, I think the SR will be as good when it does get ICS except for the screen resolution and again I think the SR screen holds up well. I was considering the LG Nitro with it's beautiful HD screen but the battery life on it killed that idea.

Ahh yes I forgot to mention battery life. At 1,850 mAh, battery life is good so far, can't complain. And yeah I didn't talk about resolution. I know some where saying 480x800 was the worst but I don't see a problem with it. The quality of the screen to me is good enough that I don't think about the 480x800. I used to use Launcher Pro on my OG Droid, not sure if I will on the SR but I might consider it. I love having 7 screens instead of 5 so that I really like.

DHeimer

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
My experience with the Skyrocket has been mixed.
Pros
Really Fast
Great web integration
Great screen
Nice form
Calendar is good

Cons
Bluetooth is really quirky
Contact list can only display in first name sequence
Memo doesn't display in "title" sequence. It only sorts by "color" and "date modified"
Can't "reply all" to a text originally sent to multiple numbers
Getting to "speed dial" requires about 4 keystrokes.
No "voice dialing"
Battery life is short

I really like this phone, but the strange issues are making me think that I will return it.

MAGiK9

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
You can change how you want to display contacts by pressing menu [when you're viewing contacts], more, and display options.. And hold down the search button for voice dialing.

Battery life is good once you root.

Don't know about the rest.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
You didn't like the Nexus, RAZR, or Rezound? He'll I'd drop ATT like a bad habit if it weren't for the unlimited data. lol

DHeimer

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Following up on my message about the pros and cons of the Skyrocket: A few days ago I switched to the HTC Vivid.

It has all the "Pros" on the list above, and fixes many of the "Cons", most notably the issues with Bluetooth just went away. Even the battery life seems better. I haven't tested the "reply all" text message feature. The keyboard layout and features of the Vivid are substantially better. The user interface is better. The HTC sync works better (although it doesn't include "memos", which is annoying.) The phone dialing interface has some clever features.

I like the form factor of the skyrocket a bit better because it's just a little thinner. But it's not a significant factor for me. I feel like I have to say that just to say that SOMETHING is better about the skyrocket.

After 3 days using the Skyrocket I was wondering if I should switch. After a week I knew I needed to switch. After 3 days of using the Vivid I'm very happy with it and think I'll probably keep it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87