Showing lock screen only when actually "locked"

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
One annoyance I have with my S2 is that if the screen goes dark after the timeout, when I wake the phone again it takes me to the "lock screen" background (though the phone is not actually locked, since my lock timeout is set to 20min) and I have to swipe it out of the way to get back to the last active screen.

Is there a way to disable showing the lock screen backdroup unless the phone is actually locked? e.g. when I wake the phone, and it's not locked because my lock timeout of 20m hasn;t been reached, I want to immediately view the last active screen, rather than having to "swipe" the lock screen background out of the way.

Similarly, I find that when I tap the power button to put the phone display to sleep, the phone automatically goes into "lock state" - when I wake it again I now have to enter the lock code to access. Is it possible to have the "locked state" only activate when the lock timeout is reached?

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I installed Nolock from the market. It keeps my lock screen from loading. I disable it when I want the screen to lock. It's a pretty nice little widget. It's the best solution I found for me. Someone else might chime in with a better idea.:)

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
thanks, trying out nolock now. Seems like this should really be something that's builtin to android, one should have the option to have the lock screen only display when the phone actually locks, and not when it's woken from sleep.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Sometimes I think they release products before they're ready for primetime. It's a wonderful thing that developers help by filling in the gaps!

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Nolock does solve this issue for me, but unfortunately at the expense of NEVER locking the screen if I have it set to "unlocked." The ideal behavior imo would be to let the phone autolock after the desired time interval, but never lock until then, say if the screen goes dark on its own or if you tap power to turn screen off.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You can try Delayed Lock Trial. It's in the Market. It allows you to block the lock screen for whatever time you designate so, when the display times out and you wake it up, the lock screen won't be there if it's within the time you designated. There are quite a few customizations you can make. It's $1.49 if it works for you.

I use NoLock because I never know how long I want the lock screen to stay off. You need to be able to assign specific timeouts, so Delayed Lock should work for you. It works for me. Hope it helps...

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I actually found another app which works quite well, "unlock with wifi" ... causes the phone to be always unlocked when at home, and enables locking when away. In the latter case, I can manually enable unlock mode via NoLock if necessary.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Sounds great! And, if your phone isn't set to automatically connect to wifi, your phone won't unlock unless you want it to. I have wifi all around me...coffee houses, some grocery stores, MacDonalds, etc., and because I like to leave my phone on auto-connect to wifi to save on data, NoLock works well for me. I do like the idea of auto-unlock though. Thanks for sharing the app! I'll check it out. :)

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
fwiw, I'm using Wifi auto unlock in conjunction with Auto WIFI Toggle ... the latter disables my wifi radio when I'm not connected to wifi networks I've predefined (e.g., home/work) ... so that may help?

I'm hoping that the Unlock with Wifi author will update his app so that you can define which subset of wifi networks you want to allow unlocking the phone.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
That sounds perfect! If the dev adds that feature you could have a whole list of approved networks that activate unlocking your lockscreen without you having to so anything. That's a great fix. Thanks:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress