Rooting my SGS2

ryenoblast

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey fellow android users!

With little knowledge on technology, i started searching up about rooting my SGS2, I can say I am kind of interested in it. So far i heard that it uses lesser battery usage, faster and access to several useful root-supported apps, but risky. That's what stopped me from rooting as I'm pretty afraid it would screw up my phone. Therefore, can anyone tell me the disadvantages of rooting my phone?

Here are my questions about rooting my SGS2: :confused:
-> Are you still able to call/message after rooting?

-> Do you still have the apps you downloaded before rooting? Or do you have to download them again?

Thanks. :)
-Sebastian

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey fellow android users!

With little knowledge on technology, i started searching up about rooting my SGS2, I can say I am kind of interested in it. So far i heard that it uses lesser battery usage, faster and access to several useful root-supported apps, but risky. That's what stopped me from rooting as I'm pretty afraid it would screw up my phone. Therefore, can anyone tell me the disadvantages of rooting my phone?

Here are my questions about rooting my SGS2: :confused:
-> Are you still able to call/message after rooting?

-> Do you still have the apps you downloaded before rooting? Or do you have to download them again?

Thanks. :)
-Sebastian

The biggest thing to make sure is that the files you download that are required to root are the files for your device. Most of them are pretty general, but I would make sure that in the description it says for XXX model number and carrier and yours matches.

Risky? Sort of. Only if you use files for incompatible devices. It's not really rooting you need to be concerned about, it's flashing ROMs that can really screw up your device. And again, only if you load improper files to your phone. Rooting does void OS warranties.

Your questions:
1. Yes. All rooting does is grant superuser access (like administrator rights on Windows) to your device. That's it. Root is typically required to flash ROMs and other performance apps. And so long as you only root and install apps, you should be fine. Rooting typically stops OTA updates from being downloaded and installed.

2. Yes. There is no redownloading what so ever.

I would check out QBKing77 on YouTube. He mainly has Sprint devices, but...his videos are awesome, easy to follow (I would suggest to take notes and watch 3 or 4 times) and can be used as a guide for the root process as most steps and procedures are going to be roughly the same.

ryenoblast

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
The biggest thing to make sure is that the files you download that are required to root are the files for your device. Most of them are pretty general, but I would make sure that in the description it says for XXX model number and carrier and yours matches.

Risky? Sort of. Only if you use files for incompatible devices. It's not really rooting you need to be concerned about, it's flashing ROMs that can really screw up your device. And again, only if you load improper files to your phone. Rooting does void OS warranties.

Your questions:
1. Yes. All rooting does is grant superuser access (like administrator rights on Windows) to your device. That's it. Root is typically required to flash ROMs and other performance apps. And so long as you only root and install apps, you should be fine. Rooting typically stops OTA updates from being downloaded and installed.

2. Yes. There is no redownloading what so ever.

I would check out QBKing77 on YouTube. He mainly has Sprint devices, but...his videos are awesome, easy to follow (I would suggest to take notes and watch 3 or 4 times) and can be used as a guide for the root process as most steps and procedures are going to be roughly the same.

I see. Thanks! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa