Galaxy S II - My phone won't let me send SMS but it lets me send MMS?

kapesha

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) won't let me send text messages.. I can receive them but I can't respond back. Also, I can send MMS but not SMS. Whenever I send an SMS, it just keeps loading and says "sending" then finally says 'failed' w/ a red ! sign beside it. I can also call people and receive calls but whenever somebody in my contacts call me, it always say "Unknown number". I already checked my message centre number and it has the right number in it so I don't think that's the issue. I thought it was because I just upgraded to jellybean 4.1.2 but then I downgraded to ICS and it's still like that.... help?

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) won't let me send text messages.. I can receive them but I can't respond back. Also, I can send MMS but not SMS. Whenever I send an SMS, it just keeps loading and says "sending" then finally says 'failed' w/ a red ! sign beside it. I can also call people and receive calls but whenever somebody in my contacts call me, it always say "Unknown number". I already checked my message centre number and it has the right number in it so I don't think that's the issue. I thought it was because I just upgraded to jellybean 4.1.2 but then I downgraded to ICS and it's still like that.... help?
Hmm....this is an interesting problem. What carrier do you have? Also, what APN settings are you currently using?

kapesha

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
*sigh*
I feel like I already did everything...
checked if the message centre has the right number
cleared data/cache
reboot
took out the battery out for awhile
did a factory reset

I still can't send a txt message, but idk why it lets me send an MMS though......

- - - Updated - - -

T-Mobile has put together a guide on how to check the apn settings and reset them. Here you go:
Reset default APN settings for data and picture... | T-Mobile Support

Oh thanks! I'll try that and report back here if it helps~

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, it didn't do anything....

Alright, we can still troubleshoot. When did this issue start occurring? Was it during a time when something new was installed? Is the phone up to date? Are you aware of any issues with T-Mobile in your area at the moment (network connectivity, upgrades to the towers, etc.)?

kapesha

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Alright, we can still troubleshoot. When did this issue start occurring? Was it during a time when something new was installed? Is the phone up to date? Are you aware of any issues with T-Mobile in your area at the moment (network connectivity, upgrades to the towers, etc.)?

It started when I finally upgraded to Jellybean 4.1.2. But then like I said I downgraded and went back to ICS 4.0.3 and it's still won't work.
And I don't think something's wrong with T-Mobile at the moment since my family's phones are all good. This actually happened to my brother a few days ago, but it was resolved after my mom changed his phone from 2GB to 4GB (I think that was about the internet/web/4g limit) and it worked... she did the same for me but it's still like this. We contacted T-mobile and their suggestion was to clean the cache/data etc. and turn off the phone but yup it didnt work.

What I don't get is how I can receive msgs and send a message as long as it's in MMS (it doesn't have a problem when I do that, and it sends the msg fast) but when it comes to SMS it won't..

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
It started when I finally upgraded to Jellybean 4.1.2. But then like I said I downgraded and went back to ICS 4.0.3 and it's still won't work.
And I don't think something's wrong with T-Mobile at the moment since my family's phones are all good. This actually happened to my brother a few days ago, but it was resolved after my mom changed his phone from 2GB to 4GB (I think that was about the internet/web/4g limit) and it worked... she did the same for me but it's still like this. We contacted T-mobile and their suggestion was to clean the cache/data etc. and turn off the phone but yup it didnt work.

What I don't get is how I can receive msgs and send a message as long as it's in MMS (it doesn't have a problem when I do that, and it sends the msg fast) but when it comes to SMS it won't..

I have a theory that it might be a network issue. If your brother's phone was resolved by an account switch, it sounds like a network issue. What baseband do you have? It's found in settings and then about or status I believe

Posted via Android Central App

kapesha

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a theory that it might be a network issue. If your brother's phone was resolved by an account switch, it sounds like a network issue. What baseband do you have? It's found in settings and then about or status I believe

Maybe I should try contacting them again later if nothing doesn't resolve this..
and its baseband is: T989UVLE1

kapesha

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Nevermind..... it's finally working.
I called T-mobile today and apparently they had my sent message blocked, and they had no idea how that happened.
They unchecked it and now it's fixed!

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Nevermind..... it's finally working.
I called T-mobile today and apparently they had my sent message blocked, and they had no idea how that happened.
They unchecked it and now it's fixed!

Awesome! I thought it was a network issue. I'm glad it's fixed!

SSpinball

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem can't send SMS text message I can receive not send.
calling t-mobile on Monday, everything worked fine until, I upgraded to 4.3 rom

LaterRon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
the solution to to the same issue I used was to put my Sim in a non android phone (Nokia or Iphone etc) then the messages came through. I returned the sim to my phone and all is good for now. My Help Center said the sms were held up in the system, as it does and can happen from time to time. 2 options were: 1. try Sim in non android phone to clear the blockage... 2. Get your service provider put in a request to delete messages held up then to re-set phone after hour or so. (turn phone off for 30 secs)

Syed Shah8

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
i am facing same probleon glaxcy S3. one thing i want to add (little trick or rough solution in emergency), Send message and other second dial help line or any other number for 10 to 20 sec (as miss call sense ).. your message will be send ..
but is a poor technique ans not a complete solution.
kindly provide the right solution

Shaista Waseem

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site