Is dedicated camera/shutter key really that important??

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
A number of sites are counting Galaxy S's lack of dedicated shutter key a bad, but what I can't understand is why is it that important? iPhone doesn't have such key but still works really well for taking pictures. Galaxy S can focus on a screen tap and can take pictures just fine using onscreen camera button, so what can a dedicated hardware shutter key do that onscreen soft-button can't do?

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
A number of sites are counting Galaxy S's lack of dedicated shutter key a bad, but what I can't understand is why is it that important? iPhone doesn't have such key but still works really well for taking pictures. Galaxy S can focus on a screen tap and can take pictures just fine using onscreen camera button, so what can a dedicated hardware shutter key do that onscreen soft-button can't do?

People like to have something to complain about that they think is important because society says it is or because its a "feature".

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
People like to have something to complain about that they think is important because society says it is or because its a "feature".

I guess you are right. They need something to fill their "cons" section of the review. Although Epic brings that feature in it, I don't think other versions are lacking in any way in terms of camera key. Personally I like the soft-button to capture the shot, its easier using the thumb.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I miss the button from my Instinct (that's about all I miss though). Makes it easier to hold than trying to press the screen to take a pic.

Argent

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
there's a familiarity associated with a dedicated camera button - anyone who's taken photos with any type of camera will know where a camera button SHOULD be located

the whole touching the screen thing is foreign to a lot of people - people don't like change, they like familiarity

that being said - I have a Droid Incredible without a dedicated camera button and I miss having one because it's more convenient and comfortable in my opinion to take photos with one.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is hard to see what you are taking a picture of if you have to hold the phone such that your thumb is on the screen.

hampstenj

May 8, 2010
Visit site
yup. The Epic has everything, although I don't know why they gimped it with just 1GB of ROM.

no kidding on gimping on the 1GB of ROM, but with Froyo coming along the road I bet that Sprint thought, well you can put apps on the SD card, it's coming with a 16GB card, so well go low and be the first out with Froyo.... OK partial hoping on my part, but in all honesty I do feel like the Epic is being a tad bit shortchanged in the ROM dept,

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It is plausible that they needed the space to put a 4G radio in and still be able to use the same motherboard as the other phones. I don't think that is what happened though, I think they had some sort of agreement with some carrier to make sure that the verizon/att versions had more memory than the sprint one.

xmBill

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I had an HTC VZ-6700 with WM on it and I really liked the camera button. I could grab the phone in an instant and while not even looking at the phone, hit the button to start the process and by the time I got the phone up to where I can take a picture, the software would be loaded and I already had my finger ready to take the picture. Sure I miss it, but it was not a deal killer of any sort. I have the dInc now and wish I could reprogram the search button as a camera button, but unlike my WM phone, I could reprogram all of the buttons. That's a nice feature I wish I had on the dInc, but I can easily live with out all that because my dInc is the best phone I ever had.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I had an HTC VZ-6700 with WM on it and I really liked the camera button. I could grab the phone in an instant and while not even looking at the phone, hit the button to start the process and by the time I got the phone up to where I can take a picture, the software would be loaded and I already had my finger ready to take the picture. Sure I miss it, but it was not a deal killer of any sort. I have the dInc now and wish I could reprogram the search button as a camera button, but unlike my WM phone, I could reprogram all of the buttons. That's a nice feature I wish I had on the dInc, but I can easily live with out all that because my dInc is the best phone I ever had.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what phone is dInc?

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site

I don't understand why you can't reprogram the buttons. You can on webos, and you can iOS if you jailbreak. Isn't android supposed to be the most open?

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is hard to see what you are taking a picture of if you have to hold the phone such that your thumb is on the screen.

I do agree. Also, trying to set up the shot, and contend with pressing a spot on the screen is very awkward, and I have to be really careful to avoid movement. I'm looking forward to having a real button on my next phone.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
yup. The Epic has everything, although I don't know why they gimped it with just 1GB of ROM.

Why would you want more? Isn't this the standard for an Android high end phone?
I guess my question is, which Android phone packs more memory?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Why would you want more? Isn't this the standard for an Android high end phone?
I guess my question is, which Android phone packs more memory?

Every single Galaxy S phone has more memory than this. European Version/Captivate/Vibrant all have 16GB onboard, while Fascinate has 2GB. Epic 4G has the least memory onboard out of the whole Galaxy S family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress