12-27-2010 12:39 AM
29 12
tools
    A number of sites are counting Galaxy S's lack of dedicated shutter key a bad, but what I can't understand is why is it that important? iPhone doesn't have such key but still works really well for taking pictures. Galaxy S can focus on a screen tap and can take pictures just fine using onscreen camera button, so what can a dedicated hardware shutter key do that onscreen soft-button can't do?
    07-08-2010 06:44 PM
    The Epic has a dedicated shutter button, it depends on which version.
    07-08-2010 06:53 PM
    yup. The Epic has everything, although I don't know why they gimped it with just 1GB of ROM.
    07-08-2010 07:11 PM
    A number of sites are counting Galaxy S's lack of dedicated shutter key a bad, but what I can't understand is why is it that important? iPhone doesn't have such key but still works really well for taking pictures. Galaxy S can focus on a screen tap and can take pictures just fine using onscreen camera button, so what can a dedicated hardware shutter key do that onscreen soft-button can't do?
    People like to have something to complain about that they think is important because society says it is or because its a "feature".
    07-08-2010 07:19 PM
    People like to have something to complain about that they think is important because society says it is or because its a "feature".
    I guess you are right. They need something to fill their "cons" section of the review. Although Epic brings that feature in it, I don't think other versions are lacking in any way in terms of camera key. Personally I like the soft-button to capture the shot, its easier using the thumb.
    07-08-2010 07:58 PM
    I wouldn't call it important but I do prefer one. Not going to stop me from getting this phone though.
    07-08-2010 11:04 PM
    Well for one, it enables quick access to the camera in an instant. Plus, you can take candid shots easier that way.
    07-08-2010 11:07 PM
    I miss the button from my Instinct (that's about all I miss though). Makes it easier to hold than trying to press the screen to take a pic.
    07-09-2010 10:04 AM
    there's a familiarity associated with a dedicated camera button - anyone who's taken photos with any type of camera will know where a camera button SHOULD be located

the whole touching the screen thing is foreign to a lot of people - people don't like change, they like familiarity

that being said - I have a Droid Incredible without a dedicated camera button and I miss having one because it's more convenient and comfortable in my opinion to take photos with one.
    07-09-2010 10:10 AM
    Yes, it is hard to see what you are taking a picture of if you have to hold the phone such that your thumb is on the screen.
    07-09-2010 02:18 PM
    yup. The Epic has everything, although I don't know why they gimped it with just 1GB of ROM.
    no kidding on gimping on the 1GB of ROM, but with Froyo coming along the road I bet that Sprint thought, well you can put apps on the SD card, it's coming with a 16GB card, so well go low and be the first out with Froyo.... OK partial hoping on my part, but in all honesty I do feel like the Epic is being a tad bit shortchanged in the ROM dept,
    07-09-2010 08:10 PM
    It is plausible that they needed the space to put a 4G radio in and still be able to use the same motherboard as the other phones. I don't think that is what happened though, I think they had some sort of agreement with some carrier to make sure that the verizon/att versions had more memory than the sprint one.
    07-09-2010 08:36 PM
    I had an HTC VZ-6700 with WM on it and I really liked the camera button. I could grab the phone in an instant and while not even looking at the phone, hit the button to start the process and by the time I got the phone up to where I can take a picture, the software would be loaded and I already had my finger ready to take the picture. Sure I miss it, but it was not a deal killer of any sort. I have the dInc now and wish I could reprogram the search button as a camera button, but unlike my WM phone, I could reprogram all of the buttons. That's a nice feature I wish I had on the dInc, but I can easily live with out all that because my dInc is the best phone I ever had.
    07-10-2010 04:28 AM
    I had an HTC VZ-6700 with WM on it and I really liked the camera button. I could grab the phone in an instant and while not even looking at the phone, hit the button to start the process and by the time I got the phone up to where I can take a picture, the software would be loaded and I already had my finger ready to take the picture. Sure I miss it, but it was not a deal killer of any sort. I have the dInc now and wish I could reprogram the search button as a camera button, but unlike my WM phone, I could reprogram all of the buttons. That's a nice feature I wish I had on the dInc, but I can easily live with out all that because my dInc is the best phone I ever had.
    Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what phone is dInc?
    07-10-2010 11:19 AM
    droid incredible
    07-10-2010 11:31 AM

I don't understand why you can't reprogram the buttons. You can on webos, and you can iOS if you jailbreak. Isn't android supposed to be the most open?
    07-10-2010 12:41 PM
    Yes, it is hard to see what you are taking a picture of if you have to hold the phone such that your thumb is on the screen.
    I do agree. Also, trying to set up the shot, and contend with pressing a spot on the screen is very awkward, and I have to be really careful to avoid movement. I'm looking forward to having a real button on my next phone.
    07-10-2010 03:22 PM
    Why would you want more? Isn't this the standard for an Android high end phone?
    I guess my question is, which Android phone packs more memory?
    07-19-2010 11:23 AM
    Why would you want more? Isn't this the standard for an Android high end phone?
    I guess my question is, which Android phone packs more memory?
    Every single Galaxy S phone has more memory than this. European Version/Captivate/Vibrant all have 16GB onboard, while Fascinate has 2GB. Epic 4G has the least memory onboard out of the whole Galaxy S family.
    07-20-2010 11:12 PM
    The fewer moving parts the better... less to break.
    07-21-2010 07:19 AM
    I like a shutter button, although not a requirement. On the hero I currently use, the trackball is the shutter button, and since its round its hard to take 1 handed shots without it blurring on me. Horizontal two handed shots work fine.
    07-21-2010 07:50 AM
    If I want to take a picture of say myself and my wife in the ever so famous 'arms length pose' ....I turn the timer on 5 seconds and then press the shutter button.

Gives me time to hold the camera at arms length and focus on the angle of the shot and not if my finger is or isn't touching the 'take picture' icon on the screen.
    08-08-2010 09:03 PM
    If I want to take a picture of say myself and my wife in the ever so famous 'arms length pose' ....I turn the timer on 5 seconds and then press the shutter button.

Gives me time to hold the camera at arms length and focus on the angle of the shot and not if my finger is or isn't touching the 'take picture' icon on the screen.
    Ah...now, there's a good reason to have that button. Prior to reading this, I actually didn't think there was any practical reason for a dedicated button since tapping the screen is more stable than pushing a hardware button when taking pics with a cam phone, imo.
    08-23-2010 10:05 PM
    shutter key is not, but a Flash or LED is needed... ...
    08-25-2010 08:26 PM
    While the phots are coming out great, its really hard to take pics of yourself without the dedicated button. I do that a lot for bass fishing or to send shots to my wife for the kids.
    08-30-2010 11:41 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD