Emergency Recovery Bootloop

IRONRINGED

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi All,

My niece was using my phone, and when I got it back, it started to just stay in on the Samsung logo screen. I let the battery die, and now it is stuck on the screen that says "An error has occurred while updating the device software. Use the Emergency recovery function in the Smart Switch PC software.

I downloaded the Smart Switch software, but didn't really get anywhere with it.

I then came across Odin, which seemed more promising. I'm using a Galaxy S10 SM-G973W. I am from Canada, and got the phone through Fido. I searched for the firmware to use, which I got from sammobile. After a few attempts at refreshing the FW, I am getting a failed message from Odin. I've attached the log messages from Odin. It says FAIL right after storsec.mbn. The version of Odin I've got is 3.14, and the PDA of the firmware I am using is G973WVLS4ETK1.

Attached are pictures of the Odin log.
Odin1.png
Odin2.png

I've read online that trying a different FW might help. I am using the latest Fido one from sammobile.com.

I've also done the following things:

1. Reinstalled drivers using Smart Switch.
2. Using the factory Samsung USB Cable, and have tried other cables.
3. Tried using two different computers. One is my main PC with two USB ports connected for a keyboard and mouse. The other is a laptop, where only my phone was connected.
4. Tried USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 on my main PC. My laptop only has USB 3.0 ports.

I have been reading some stuff about a PIT file that I might be able to utilize. I tried to extract it from the CSC file, but it says I need a password. I extracted the HOME CSC file, but no .PIT file showed up.

My phone is completely useless right now, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, welcome to AC!

Try this , download Frija tool from xda forums and extract it , then open and put your model name and region and download the FIRMWARE , then let's see . Try always use 2.0 port and also change cables to good known one and different ports .

IRONRINGED

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded the firmware using Frija, but I am getting the same error. I tried on my laptop with USB 3.0, and my PC with USB 2.0.

Is it possible that including a partition file might help? If so, where could I get the PIT file for my phone?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded the firmware using Frija, but I am getting the same error. I tried on my laptop with USB 3.0, and my PC with USB 2.0.

Is it possible that including a partition file might help? If so, where could I get the PIT file for my phone?
I don't recommend the PIT file because you use wrong firmware you can permanently damage your phone.

You are in download mode correct?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

IRONRINGED

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
Yup, I have been doing that. I get into download mode by pressing Bixby, Power and Volume down, then I press Volume Up. Before starting each attempt with Odin, I get into download mode, and make sure the COM is detected, and the log says Added!! Hmm, Ok, thanks for the advice on the PIT. I just feel like I've tried everything else.

I'll try 3.14.4.

Thanks again!

IRONRINGED

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
Tried 3.14.4, and still no dice. Tried two different cables. So far, I've always been able to get into download mode. Would it be true to say, that as long as I am able to get into download mode, the phone is not completely bricked?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Tried 3.14.4, and still no dice. Tried two different cables. So far, I've always been able to get into download mode. Would it be true to say, that as long as I am able to get into download mode, the phone is not completely bricked?
Yes as long as you can get into download mode you have a chances and there no errors on the phone or odin .

Fail can be from any one of those reasons I mentioned.

You have to be on the firmware that phone was currently on or above , that's why I had you download frija as they usually give the latest firmware out. You also have to make sure your region is correct, because the state the phone is in now.

Make sure no firewalls blocking odin , set odin as administrator , maybe trying a 3rd computer , as weird as that sounds .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Flashing through odin especially same firmware or update is usually effortless and quick , so something is missing .

IRONRINGED

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
I still haven't had any luck. I tried on a third computer, and I'm getting the same error. I bought a new USB-C cable, and I'm getting the same error.

I downloaded the firmware that came with my phone, which is this one, G973WVLU2ASIO, from October 2nd 2019. This is the PDA number written on the box of the phone. While running that I am getting a slightly different error.

Odin3DefaultFwError.png

Any thoughts on this one?

IRONRINGED

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
It is possible that my bootloader is blocked, so I cannot perform a flash, but only a root? I just read something about that on a thread from XDA. A Samsung Galaxy S III user, from 2013, mentioned it with his Verizon phone. He mentions he found a ROM that was semi-stock, but also included a superuser, which allowed him to flash using Odin.

Here is a link to the thread.

IRONRINGED

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
I'm thinking rooting the phone might resolve the issue. I'm not exactly sure what file to use to do this. I downloaded the file named, "twrp-3.5.0_9-0-beyond1qlte.img.tar", which is for the Samsung S10 Snapdragon, which is the version I have. Is this the correction file I can use to root it? From my understanding, I would use Odin and load the .tar file into the AP spot. Then I just click start, then reboot the phone into recovery mode. Is there anything I need to do after the phone is rebooted into recovery mode?

Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've been out of the root game for awhile , xda would be best source.

Fir the firmware it has to be equal or past for it to flash in that state its in. Otherwise the phone damaged.

IRONRINGED

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
Ok thanks. I read that it has to be equal or later as well. I'm doing some research on the rooting. I'll post back as things progress.

Thanks again.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Rooting the phone ends up doing one thing - putting a file named su in a system area of NAND. It has nothing to do with flashing or booting.

The two error messages from Odin say that there's a bad area of NAND (system storage). Nothing you can do but have the motherboard replaced or, if you have an extended warranty (or "protection" plan), have the phone replaced.

IRONRINGED

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
Rukbat, thanks for letting me know. Is there anyone else that can confirm that the motherboard is broken? This kind of makes sense because my nieces have used phones and tablets thousands of times, and they haven't managed to break any of them.

Now I'm just going to find out if this is a common occurrence and what the cost might be to fix it.

Thanks!

IRONRINGED

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
I called Samsung, and the told me I still have warranty, and to bring it into a place called ubreakifix. I think they have chains across north america. The guy mentioned that he thinks its the motherboard as well, but said it will take 1-2 days to diagnosis before they can say for certain. If it's the motherboard, they get a new one from Samsung and try to replace it.

IRONRINGED

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
There is someone on the XDA and reddit forums that mentioned he could fix my phone. He thinks that some Hex edits to the kernel will fix the phone. Any ideas on this?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There is someone on the XDA and reddit forums that mentioned he could fix my phone. He thinks that some Hex edits to the kernel will fix the phone. Any ideas on this?
They have knowledgeable people there , if they can , definitely give them a shot

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87