Photo transfer Android to Windows PC

dangnad

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Would like an easy, mostly automatic way to upload photos and videos from a Galaxy S10 to a Windows 10 PC. Windows has the means ("Import Photos and Videos") but it does not work well with phones because it finds ALL images on the phone. I would like to upload from DCIM/Camera only. I do not mean drag and drop.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Literally all you would have to do is plug the phone in, change the connection to file transfer. Find your phone in explorer and double click it then you just navigate to the folder you want to move and drag it to where you want it on your computer. I know you said you didn't want to do that, but it's honestly the easiest way. And if you didn't want all the photos from the folder it's easier to delete them on your computer with a bigger screen and a mouse. It will probably take longer for the files to transfer than it will to do it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Galaxy S forum (for the ancient 1st gen Galaxy S phone) to the S10 forum.

You can also use either Google Photos auto-backup, or OneDrive auto-backup. It'll back up everything to the cloud, but then you can easily access them from your PC (and download any that you need).

dangnad

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
I'm not looking for backup. I'm really old-fashioned. All the pictures I've ever taken in the last 30 years have been transferred to my PC where editing is easier, emailing is easier, printing easier, projecting to TV is easier. In fact, everything is easier on a PC. I said transfer meaning taken off my camera permanently and put in my Photos partition on my Windows PC. Occasionally I will copy a few images back onto my phone. Works great and you can set up directories on your phone with Windows. Yep! Just old fashioned.

Really. Back up to "the Cloud". C'mon. Anything on "cloud" is not yours anymore.

dangnad

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Mr Bojangles1: I prepared a long reply to your post, now it is gone. Is there a chance it is saved in drafts somewhere in this forum?

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Mr Bojangles1: I prepared a long reply to your post, now it is gone. Is there a chance it is saved in drafts somewhere in this forum?

I know what you meant. Do it the way I said and you will see how easy it is. When you open your phone using your computers explorer you are literally navigating around your phones internal storage. When you drag and drop folders/files from your phone to computer what it is doing is just copying it to your computer, but after you double check everything copied correctly then you can delete them out of your phone using your computer. The same folders you drag and drop to copy you can just right click and then delete.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not looking for backup. I'm really old-fashioned. All the pictures I've ever taken in the last 30 years have been transferred to my PC where editing is easier, emailing is easier, printing easier, projecting to TV is easier. In fact, everything is easier on a PC. I said transfer meaning taken off my camera permanently and put in my Photos partition on my Windows PC. Occasionally I will copy a few images back onto my phone. Works great and you can set up directories on your phone with Windows. Yep! Just old fashioned.

Really. Back up to "the Cloud". C'mon. Anything on "cloud" is not yours anymore.

Fair enough. Just be aware that copying a huge number of files from a device to a PC can be problematic sometimes. Data transfer via USB can be unreliable, and the more data you try to transfer at a time, the more chance there is of a data error. This can sometimes be serious enough to cause actual data loss, so if you're going to copy files, I recommend doing it in relatively small batches.

Also, make sure you use the Copy command, and NOT the Move command. If something goes wrong with a Move command, there's more chance the source files will be wiped out regardless of how successful the operation was.

For what it's worth, Google explicitly states that they don't claim any ownership of any of your data stored in the cloud: https://www.google.com/drive/terms-...ive allows you to,store in your Drive account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38