Does S10 have MST for samsung pay

klee0032

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if the S 10 has MST for samsung pay. I know they didn't add it to the Galaxy watch. I think it's pretty awesome when it works. I use Samsung pay all the time pretty much everywhere I go.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Yes it does. Ultra-mega-duper selling point, there's no way they'd remove it from the premium line.
They removed it from the galaxy watch. Which made samsung pay on the watch useless. Would have been a deal breaker if I didn't have a Samsung phone on me at all times.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They removed it from the galaxy watch. Which made samsung pay on the watch useless. Would have been a deal breaker if I didn't have a Samsung phone on me at all times.

Yeah, but payment on watches apparently is very low on all surveys, so obviously MOST people won't care if MST is not on their watches anyway. On the plus side, they did reduce the price. If you just HAVE to have MST, you can always go with the previous version. Or, like you said, the phone.

As for SPay being 'useless' on the watch without MST, unless they also removed NFC (Don't know, didn't really look into it), it still works for those terminals. And to be fair, a lot of major retailers are updated to NFC-enabled terminals (whether you want to peg that on Apple Pay or not, it's up to thee).

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I mean, maybe if you're paying somewhere that doesn't have tap to pay, but those places are a tiny percentage.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, but payment on watches apparently is very low on all surveys, so obviously MOST people won't care if MST is not on their watches anyway. On the plus side, they did reduce the price. If you just HAVE to have MST, you can always go with the previous version. Or, like you said, the phone.

As for SPay being 'useless' on the watch without MST, unless they also removed NFC (Don't know, didn't really look into it), it still works for those terminals. And to be fair, a lot of major retailers are updated to NFC-enabled terminals (whether you want to peg that on Apple Pay or not, it's up to thee).
I wasn't too worried about mst on the watch that's why I upgraded. Once retailers get on board with nfc it will be a non issue, but it doesn't seem to be happening that quickly. So for now I'll stick with my phone for samsung pay.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site

I agree that was pretty lame. It was worth it for 5 ATM water resistance, but why couldn't we have both? They have shattered my dream of jogging around a city park and stopping to buy a water from some random drink stand.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Every has station in my area has yet to update to nfc. Meijer is the only place I frequent that has it. I still get strange looks when I use my phone to pay at most places.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Every has station in my area has yet to update to nfc. Meijer is the only place I frequent that has it. I still get strange looks when I use my phone to pay at most places.

The ones in my area did so very recently. And I'm not in the middle of nowhere, I live six miles from downtown St. Paul. Most of the breweries in my area likewise only take physical cards. So yeah, MST is by no means unnecessary.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I still get strange looks when I use my phone to pay at most places.

I have still yet to see anyone pay for anything with their phone anywhere. That seems crazy at this point, and it's not like l live out in the middle of nowhere! I think that's the biggest reason I've been reluctant to try it myself. I keep thinking I want to give it a shot, but I'm not the kind of person who likes to be "that guy" holding up a line of people checking out somewhere to try something out of the ordinary.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Actually there are quite a few places that don't have it. I use MST quite often

Some stores like my local CVS blocks google/apple pay, but allow Samsung pay because they can't stop it working due to the MST functionality. A local supermarket also doesn't support NFC, but I use Samsung pay with no problems, to their continued surprise I might add. :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Some stores like my local CVS blocks google/apple pay, but allow Samsung pay because they can't stop it working due to the MST functionality. A local supermarket also doesn't support NFC, but I use Samsung pay with no problems, to their continued surprise I might add. :)

Best thing about using Samsung Pay with MST is the look on the befuddled cashier that tried to yell at you because 'No sir, we don't take Apple Pa...HOW DID YOU DO THAT??!!'

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree that was pretty lame. It was worth it for 5 ATM water resistance, but why couldn't we have both? They have shattered my dream of jogging around a city park and stopping to buy a water from some random drink stand.
Apparently it was a space problem with the smaller Galaxy Watch. They couldn't fit it in there and keep everything else so since they removed it from the bigger watch too so they had feature parity. Since the Gear S3 was only available in one size they were able to do it. It's lame, but since I use nothing but Samsung phones I went ahead and upgraded anyway. Where I live barely anything has NFC so I'm happy they're keeping it in the Galaxy S10.

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I mean, maybe if you're paying somewhere that doesn't have tap to pay, but those places are a tiny percentage.

Get out of the city 😁. Many places buy me have the updated terminals but have not set up their accounts to take advantage of it. 90% of my purchases are still MST

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
iPhone has iMessage, Samsung has Samsung Pay, Pixel has the imaging software and camera...if only there was one phone that could rule them all...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non