Preliminary S10 Plus Review

omarshawki

Mar 3, 2019
Visit site
Well I've been using the S10 Plus for 3 days now. I'm coming from an iPhone X. The last Android phone I had was the S8 Plus.

To start with the screen is gorgeous. I'm not too bothered by the cutout but then again I wasn't all that bothered with the iPhones notch. I have been using the phone at its maximum resolution.

The battery life has been decent. Definitely making it through the day but I honestly expected slightly more from a 4100 MAh battery. Not saying it's bad at all but I'm getting around 4/5 hours of SOT with about 2 hours if audible and an hour of iTunes Music streaming. Pretty good.

The size of the phone isnt too big but I am using it without a case until it arrives. It's a very light phone. Not as slippery as my iPhone.

I actually really like One UI. It's smooth and has some pretty nifty functions. I would normally have downloaded Nova Launcher but I haven't felt the need to do so. I think Samsung finally nailed it.

The finger print scanner isn't all that great. It requires a specific angle to work properly. I would have much rather had one on the back of the phone honestly.

This is my first review so I know things are all over the place. If you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them :)

Mushkie11

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I too am leaving the X for the S10+. What would you say is the biggest adjustment? And any must do's when activating??

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I expect they have some work to do with the fingerprint scanner. Either they'll fix it in an update 6 months from now, or we'll hear dead silence until the S11 with the "all-new!" scanner (read: OOPS, WE GOT IT WRONG LAST TIME).

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Redo your finger on the scanning part and move it around every time you place it down. Like a different part of your thumb is touching each time. That will make it work better. Because you probably kept putting it down the same way, now you have to use that angle. You can also use multiple fingers.

Well I've been using the S10 Plus for 3 days now. I'm coming from an iPhone X. The last Android phone I had was the S8 Plus.

To start with the screen is gorgeous. I'm not too bothered by the cutout but then again I wasn't all that bothered with the iPhones notch. I have been using the phone at its maximum resolution.

The battery life has been decent. Definitely making it through the day but I honestly expected slightly more from a 4100 MAh battery. Not saying it's bad at all but I'm getting around 4/5 hours of SOT with about 2 hours if audible and an hour of iTunes Music streaming. Pretty good.

The size of the phone isnt too big but I am using it without a case until it arrives. It's a very light phone. Not as slippery as my iPhone.

I actually really like One UI. It's smooth and has some pretty nifty functions. I would normally have downloaded Nova Launcher but I haven't felt the need to do so. I think Samsung finally nailed it.

The finger print scanner isn't all that great. It requires a specific angle to work properly. I would have much rather had one on the back of the phone honestly.

This is my first review so I know things are all over the place. If you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them :)

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
It helps to scan the same finger twice as in use the same finger for 2 slots. I usually do 2 fingers on my left hand then one on my right.

Notefan161

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site
I expect they have some work to do with the fingerprint scanner. Either they'll fix it in an update 6 months from now, or we'll hear dead silence until the S11 with the "all-new!" scanner (read: OOPS, WE GOT IT WRONG LAST TIME).
A new update is already coming...

Michael_Archangel

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
Could you please take a photo of a cat or dog in low light? Really interested to see if they've finally sorted the blurring / over smoothing of details that the S9 had due to aggressive noise reduction.

Also interested to see if the "pet mode" makes a difference as "pet" is one of the new scenes recognised by the scene optimiser.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Honestly if camera is really, really, really important to you. I suggest looking into a pixel 3 or the latest iPhone. The s10 will have a great camera, but probably not top 2 quality. Just my 2 cents.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Honestly if camera is really, really, really important to you. I suggest looking into a pixel 3 or the latest iPhone. The s10 will have a great camera, but probably not top 2 quality. Just my 2 cents.

The S10 has a much better camera than the iPhone XS Max. The Pixel has been passed on all the tests I have seen lately. Just put GCAM on any top tier android phone and you have a camera that beats the Pixel.

https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/

Last edited:

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

I agree nothing beats the pixel camera. I am sure the S10 is great

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
When I was at Best Buy tonight they had several pictures taken of the front of the store from out front like 6 or 8 maybe and they had us guess which ones were from the S10 they had the names of the phones marked on the back. I picked 2 just guessing and one was the Pixel 3 and one was the S9 my husband picked the 10 and Note 9 I think it was. But I think it's going to be a good camera.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
The S10 has a much better camera than the iPhone XS Max. The Pixel has been passed on all the tests I have seen lately. Just put GCAM on any top tier android phone and you have a camera that beats the Pixel.

https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/

Using DXOMark scores is not a reliable way of comparing phone cameras -- particularly if the number of cameras is not the same. DXOMark gives "bonus points" for extra cameras -- this is why the Pixel scores are so low (just the single back camera), despite being widely proclaimed as the best phone camera, and why the phones with three cameras on the back of the phone score higher.

nndlb123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The S10 beats the iPhone's cameras by a good margin in nearly everything except sometimes their colours are more accurate. The Pixel 3 has an excellent night mode and a much wider front facing camera which the S10 doesn't but otherwise the S10 seems better. The S10 has the best all around camera, having the three lenses means it has a lens for almost all situations now. there will be a phone that might beat it in some situations here and there but all round photography it's pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Notefan161

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site
People obess too much on cameras these days all amazing cameras

Pixel still looks the best but you don’t buy a smart phone just for camera alone. Pixel comes up short in other areas aside from the camera

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Just put GCAM on any top tier android phone and you have a camera that beats the Pixel.

I can't say I agree with this. The heavy lifting that makes a Pixel camera awesome is done in a large part on their visual core and the processing interaction from the app is heavily reliant on that processor. The google camera app can improve some devices, but it's not going to bring them up to par.

That said, the S10's camera looks awesome, though its strengths lie in different areas. I've not had time to form my own opinion on which one is better overall, but DXO is certainly already sold.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The S10 beats the iPhone's cameras by a good margin in nearly everything except someone their colours are more accurate.

Is it fair to restate this as, "the S10 is better than the iPhone in many things, but is still behind on one of the most important aspects of photography - accurate reproduction" - or something like that?

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
I would suggest you review all those pictures done from GCAM on a S9 or N9 phone and you will say otherwise. They look much better and in much better quality than the Pixel itself. The Pixel camera with one single lens is now way behind the competition. No zoom, no wide view, and so on.

I can't sa

y I agree with this. The heavy lifting that makes a Pixel camera awesome is done in a large part on their visual core and the processing interaction from the app is heavily reliant on that processor. The google camera app can improve some devices, but it's not going to bring them up to par.

That said, the S10's camera looks awesome, though its strengths lie in different areas. I've not had time to form my own opinion on which one is better overall, but DXO is certainly already sold.

omarshawki

Mar 3, 2019
Visit site
I too am leaving the X for the S10+. What would you say is the biggest adjustment? And any must do's when activating??

Well so far the only issues I had was moving all my content over to Google etc. As well as my passwords since I rely heavily on allowing the iPhone to create them for me. Had to manually add them to Samsung smart pass.

The software is easy enough time navigate. I just don't like the gestures on Android so I'm using the only screen button layout. I don't think you'll miss IOS that much. I still use my iPad Pro for work so I think this is the best of both worlds

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress