Fingerprint Scanner Not Working Well

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
This scanner has a huge learning curve. So far I can only get it to work 50% of the time with one thumb. The other 3 don't work at all. Good Luck.

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
This scanner has a huge learning curve. So far I can only get it to work 50% of the time with one thumb. The other 3 don't work at all. Good Luck.

My phone is on the way so I can't test quite yet. But I've heard having the phone learn the same finger 2 or 3 times helps.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site

No long press required; just a simple tap. Also, scan the same finger twice to allow for easier recognition, since you're allowed to scan four. Scan it from all angles. Muscle memory will improve with time.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Like running the test 2 or 3 times you mean?? Each test is a series of presses if I'm not mistaken.

I believe he means to scan the same finger multiple times. So if you only use your thumb to unlock, save your thumb twice or as multiple fingers to improve recognition.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe he means to scan the same finger multiple times. So if you only use your thumb to unlock, save your thumb twice or as multiple fingers to improve recognition.

So when you save your finger print with Samsung it only asks you to press once and not a few times?

**edit** I'll figure it out, lol!

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Yes after the updated. Ok I've doubled up scanning twice for use with just my two thumbs and that has helped a lot but I was hoping to be able to use an index finger as well. Oh well no worries. Thanks for the advice.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't read my fingers well either. It always tells me to press harder. The update made it better, but not good.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Using the installed screen protector? I have heard on another board removing that improves things greatly, but then you don't have a screen protector.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So when you save your finger print with Samsung it only asks you to press once and not a few times?

**edit** I'll figure it out, lol!

They mean that you should register your thumb as 'finger 1', then register it again as 'finger 2'. You can register up to four fingers, so you could register your thumb twice more if you wanted.

wrt0108

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
Mine came with plastic over the front but no obvious way to take it off. The plastic on the back had an obvious tab to pull. I cannot get my fingerprint sensor to set up. It tells me all the time to press harder or to cover the entire sensor with my finger. Does this plastic on the front need to be removed first, or is this a screen protector that can stay in place? There is a hole in the plastic where the selfie cameras are, but no hole by the fingerprint sensor like the one I have seen on at least one unboxing video.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey, do you folks think perhaps the thin protective film might be causing the sensor to not react as well as it should??

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine came with plastic over the front but no obvious way to take it off. The plastic on the back had an obvious tab to pull. I cannot get my fingerprint sensor to set up. It tells me all the time to press harder or to cover the entire sensor with my finger. Does this plastic on the front need to be removed first, or is this a screen protector that can stay in place? There is a hole in the plastic where the selfie cameras are, but no hole by the fingerprint sensor like the one I have seen on at least one unboxing video.

It is a screen protector. I have heard mixed things so far on if it is affecting the sensor. It shouldn't as these are installed on every phone, but guess we will see. I will see on mine tonight.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It is a screen protector. I have heard mixed things so far on if it is affecting the sensor. It shouldn't as these are installed on every phone, but guess we will see. I will see on mine tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised if these pre-installed film protectors are the cause of the FPS malfunctioning on some/most devices. It shouldn't be affecting it but its a possibility.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
The update made it much better, but I might end up pulling the screen protector off of it's still an issue. Haven't used a screen protector on my last 3 phones and turned them in to tmobile without issue. Obviously there's some minor scratches, but not bad enough to not get credit.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
From what I have seen it works better if you tap your finger in the appropriate spot versus holding. Seems to help alleviate the issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non