Fingerprint Scanner Not Working Well

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think everyone needs to take it easy. There is a learning curve for sure. But also give Samsung some time to send more updates. The phone isn't technically even out yet and people are screaming that the sky is falling lol.

The only thing that should need to be learned in this case is where to put your finger. The accuracy, speed, etc, should all be the same as any other device with an FPS. If it's not, then maybe the technology really wasn't ready.

wrt0108

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
I have tapped this sensor maybe 500 times today and about 490 of them it didn't work. Either I have a lemon or messed up fingers. I've pressed it with all types of pressure and moving it around all over the area. My LG V30 sensor worked flawlessly and instantly over 99% of the time, not to mention it has the best keyboard ever (Swype). I would go back to the V30 today except it's Verizon and my S10+ is Sprint. I'll only buy unlocked from now on. Maybe the Sprint store will have some advice this weekend.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
my fps is good - it takes time! Give it more than a freaking day guys! ha. I haven't got the update yet but mine works as it should. Yes, not every time but I just got the thing 2 hours ago. I love it so far! Phone is BEAUTIFUL. PRISM WHITE S10+ just entered the chat.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
my fps is good - it takes time! Give it more than a freaking day guys! ha. I haven't got the update yet but mine works as it should. Yes, not every time but I just got the thing 2 hours ago. I love it so far! Phone is BEAUTIFUL. PRISM WHITE S10+ just entered the chat.
Problem is, the FPS on the s9, note phones work 100% of the time right away. Anything less is backwards IMO.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Does the scanner add data everytime a user unlocks the phone, so that the sensor also records areas of the finger that weren’t registered in the initial fingerprint setup stage?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

While I am all for not making rash judgements something like this could be a potential issue since this is the main way people unlock their devices everyday. I would hope if anything it is a possible software bug and not a hardware issue causing the problem since that could be fixed.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The FPS works fine to me. The only issue I have is remembering the correct spot to place my finger. It's going to take a bit of practice.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
It will take time. It's new tech. That's the price for early adoption. This is precisely why people skip the first edition of something. This is why I will skip the first galaxy fold. That crazy new.

The fingerprint while not perfect or as fast as a dedicated spot is decent. For me it works most of the time on the first try. But I'm getting used to it. I'm sure Samsung will improve it with software updates. Is it for everyone. No and some will not enjoy it. But I have faith it will improve. If not then next go round I'll vote with my wallet and not purchase.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad I decided to wait until launch day to get mine. Hopefully the patch will fix the issues people are seeing. reddit, XDA and Phandroid are all up-in-arms over the quality of the FPS. I know there's a learning curve here so i'm still reserving judgment.

Bybcous

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
This has been said but ot fixed my problem, register your thumb as two separate fingers and also be sure to read the on screen prompts shen it tells you to place thumb in seperate positions.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
iJustine just posted a video on Twitter showing that she couldn't get it unlocked in 7 or 8 tries. I'm glad I didn't preorder this phone now.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I keep looking for video from users showing how it works. I'm thinking about cancelling my order. I still have that option.

Yeah. I'm going to wait until the second generation of ultrasonic fingerprint sensors before buying one a phone that comes with it.

I'm glad I didn't do my usual impulse phone upgrade this time around.

wrt0108

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
I think I'm getting the hang of it. First, I removed the protective film (what some call a screen protector). I scanned both thumbs twice. The trick is to put your thumb flat on it and not press it as you would a button. I wanted to love this phone. There is hope yet. It sure works well with Sprint in an area where other Sprint phones have failed me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC