$455 in Credits. Others (like Apple) can't even give you a nickel off!

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I would say Penny but we no longer have it up here. LOL

Seriously, it's amazing how SAMSUNG does business.

I got more than I expected that I forced to get a SAMSUNG case with kickstand and charger for travel. I paid $0 to upgrade.

Once again this puts their flagship below $1,000 CAN and I'm very happy.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I would say Penny but we no longer have it up here. LOL

Seriously, it's amazing how SAMSUNG does business.

I got more than I expected that I forced to get a SAMSUNG case with kickstand and charger for travel. I paid $0 to upgrade.

Once again this puts their flagship below $1,000 CAN and I'm very happy.

Not sure what you're talking about, but Apple offers similar trade in deals too.

Dmanaz

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
This was a huge reason I switched. I got the S10 plus (512m) for normal price (cheaper than my XS max 512) and my wife will pay 150 for her S10 after the promotion PLUS we get the two galaxy buds. We were able to sell our phones and pay off two lines leaving us just one extra we don't need AND sold out watches and didn't have to pay out of pocket for a galaxy watch and the wife the new galaxy active.

Just too good of a deal to pass up for brand new flagship phones. Is there a learning curve? Yes. Is it worth it by saving so much? HELL YES

Dmanaz

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
Not sure what you're talking about, but Apple offers similar trade in deals too.

Apple NEVER offers deals. It's the carriers.

You have to pay extra for fast charging. They have never given away or docked the price as an incentive to buy on airpods or watches like Samsung has (free galaxy buds) free wireless charger with active watch etc.

Now apple usually has done just fine as we loyal buyers in the past didn't blink but it's just getting too expensive and apple nickels and dimes too much these days

I can say this as I have been with apple since the 3s. Phones, watches, iPads, mac's, homepod etc. This switch to galaxy has been fun (pain for the wife lol) but she is now finding stuff she loves..and things not so much. Not one is perfect ot course

Sorry for the rant lol

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Apple NEVER offers deals. It's the carriers.

You have to pay extra for fast charging. They have never given away or docked the price as an incentive to buy on airpods or watches like Samsung has (free galaxy buds) free wireless charger with active watch etc.

Now apple usually has done just fine as we loyal buyers in the past didn't blink but it's just getting too expensive and apple nickels and dimes too much these days

I can say this as I have been with apple since the 3s. Phones, watches, iPads, mac's, homepod etc. This switch to galaxy has been fun (pain for the wife lol) but she is now finding stuff she loves..and things not so much. Not one is perfect ot course

Sorry for the rant lol

That is NOT true at all. On Apple's homepage RIGHT NOW they are advertising a trade in deals for the Xr that takes more than 50% off the price of the phone. Go onto the iPhone page, and they are advertising $300 off a XS with trade-in.

Dmanaz

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
That is NOT true at all. On Apple's homepage RIGHT NOW they are advertising a trade in deals for the Xr that takes more than 50% off the price of the phone. Go onto the iPhone page, and they are advertising $300 off a XS with trade-in.

I said for a brand new phone. The XS is over 6 mos old and the XR isn't much newer. When the iPhone 11 comes out this YEAR and APPLE does a bogo for bogo 750 off oet me know. Oh and when they give out free airpods and the ability to fast charge for free let me know

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I said for a brand new phone. The XS is over 6 mos old and the XR isn't much newer. When the iPhone 11 comes out this YEAR and APPLE does a bogo for bogo 750 off oet me know. Oh and when they give out free airpods and the ability to fast charge for free let me know

Apple knows they don’t have to though, and their business model is very different from Samsung. Sammy releases dozens of phones per year in all kinds of markets. Apple releases 2-3. I’d rather deal with Apple Customer Service over Samsung any day. It’s just preference and I love both Samsung and Apple but you’re saying things that don’t matter. Apple is offering the Xr at a discount now and Samsung usually offers deals when you preorder. Everyone wins.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Apple knows they don’t have to though, and their business model is very different from Samsung. Sammy releases dozens of phones per year in all kinds of markets. Apple releases 2-3. I’d rather deal with Apple Customer Service over Samsung any day. It’s just preference and I love both Samsung and Apple but you’re saying things that don’t matter. Apple is offering the Xr at a discount now and Samsung usually offers deals when you preorder. Everyone wins.

Well they better, they are just like others with major declines in sales.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, Apple does have a different business model... Offer 5 year old technology and say they are being leaders in technology.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Apple NEVER ever did a deal like that before these phones came out and they were hurting bad in the sales area. They made adjustments and put the XR on sale which is a first for Apple.

That deal honestly is not good at all, because you trade in a phone to get it, and it has to be a current flagship. And their trade in prices are terrible. Samsung gave almost double what Apple did for the same phones.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Apple NEVER ever did a deal like that before these phones came out and they were hurting bad in the sales area. They made adjustments and put the XR on sale which is a first for Apple.

That deal honestly is not good at all, because you trade in a phone to get it, and it has to be a current flagship. And their trade in prices are terrible. Samsung gave almost double what Apple did for the same phones.

True and probably because last quarter iphone sales down 15% which was the quarter new phone was sold in.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Whether the deal is good or not is irrelevant. Poster said Apple didn't do it, which is very clearly false

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No, actually they were correct. You never see Apple doing a deal on brand new current model year phones. That is fact.

Not a fact. Do you understand who pays for most of the trade in deals you see at carriers? Manufacturers through their marketing budgets. Apple devices have had trade ins just as long as samsung, including promotions. And I'm speaking to that from experience as a sales rep for AT&T. Additionally, it is demonstrably false to claim that Apple does not offer good trade ins when it has clearly been proven to be the opposite because you can go on their website RIGHT NOW to do one. The premise is false. Your 'alternative facts' are not welcome here.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not a fact. Do you understand who pays for most of the trade in deals you see at carriers? Manufacturers through their marketing budgets. Apple devices have had trade ins just as long as samsung, including promotions. And I'm speaking to that from experience as a sales rep for AT&T. Additionally, it is demonstrably false to claim that Apple does not offer good trade ins when it has clearly been proven to be the opposite because you can go on their website RIGHT NOW to do one. The premise is false. Your 'alternative facts' are not welcome here.

Are we seriously arguing about this? Who CARES!

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site

Show me where Apple did a sale on the XS Max right when released. Show me some advertisements or ads please. Like did they give free air pods, or $100+ off?

Apple does not offer good trade in, in comparison to Samsung or selling it on Swappa. Apple offers $250 for a Note 8 in good condition or $300 for S9+ on their site. Samsung offers $600 or 650.

Enough said.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I love Apple, Google, Samsung and pretty much every company .. I buy them all. But I can never get the kind of deals I generally get with Samsung from Apple or Google.

For my S10+ even though the price is $999 + tax, the trade in deals for Note 8 or G7 was crazy. I saved $210 dollars instantly since I picked up Note 8 from eBay for $340 and I know many people who picked phones for trade in at even lesser price. And the Galaxy buds adds another $130 worth of discount since I was going to buy the buds anyway. So there is a big discount from the total price which makes it a screaming deal.
The trade in deals for Apple or Google or in general most companies are not great and generally you end on the losing side compared to the launch trade in deals Samsung offers along with pre order gifts.

I have not looked into the Xr trade in prices in detail but I'm pretty sure they never offered or offering $550 for Note 8 or G7 or iPhone 7 plus (which is the Note 8 equivalent for Apple). Sure they offer trade in, but instead of those rip off trade in prices better sell the device yourself. The only time I generally consider trade in is during Samsung phone launches

Edit: Also I'm talking about just unlocked models, full price. Sure carriers offer all kinds of deals for most phones with their usual bill credits, adding line or whatever, but just taking straight unlocked model no one offers deals like Samsung IMO.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
No doubt the trade in offer Samsung offered at preorder was huge... $500-something for even my Note 8?! Crazy. And yes I don't think Apple has done anything like that BUT... shortly after the XS release and maybe it was due to heading to holidays they were offering 2x normal trade value for phones right?? I don't remember exactly but I did buy my daughter an XS this past xmas and traded in a spare 6 I had for $150. Not bad for a 4 year old phone really. I think a 6s would have fetched a little more, etc.

So like OP bembol mentioned apple probably wouldn't offer a nickel off without a trade but they did offer higher trade as usual. I'm kinda curious bembol... I know you said $0 to upgrade but did you have to turn in whatever phone you had? If so, what phone was it? I know you mention going through a lot of phones a year.

The honest truth is also if Samsung didn't offer these crazy deals and trade-ins... not as many people would be buying these phones at full price. They just don't command and hold the same value as the iPhone from day one. And they depreciate faster than their counterpart... 2x faster than the iPhone mentioned in an article. The S10 looks like a great phone and will sell well. But they have to do it discounting heavily or with trade-ins like this out of the gate.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez