What am I doing wrong? Or is this camera just THAT bad?

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I took this photo of one of my dogs this morning before you made this thread. Looks good to me, but it's possible I'm losing my eyesight lol.
Also, not to deminish the quality, but it's shot against a solid background right by the dog. Issue I am seeing is when there's depth of some kind behind the subject.I am no photographer, not sure of the lingo LOL

All I know is that most every other phone, I tap on the area of screen where the subject I want to focus on is and hit the shutter button and that's it. With this phone (as well as my short stint with the Note 9) I do that it does not seem to focus on the subject.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Chocolate miniature pinscher.

I used default settings and just shot it on auto. I really hope you get this issue straightened out as this is a great phone!

Good luck!
Min pins are too cute!

And thanks! Really am enjoying the phone otherwise. But not being able to have a reliable shooter is a no go. Have to be able to take a quick shot of my kids and dogs and be satisfied with the results!

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Min pins are too cute!

And thanks! Really am enjoying the phone otherwise. But not being able to have a reliable shooter is a no go. Have to be able to take a quick shot of my kids and dogs and be satisfied with the results!

Don't you have a Pixel? I do and I use it for the camera, the s10 for everything else...though I have had some major issues with the Pixel 3 camera as well. Pictures disappearing and a laggy shutter. No phone is perfect.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I do have the Pixel 3, but was going to trade it in for the $550 towards my S10+. Don't need, or like, having 2 devices and switching back and forth.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Honestly thought about returning the phone for the pixel 3 before I figured out how to put the Google camera on it lol...
Yeah, I installed that last night and noticed it makes a big difference! Just wich it could be set as default browser so double tap of power button opens it. Remapped the Bixby button for it, but phone needs to be on/unlocked.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Been playing around with the camera more and you're right. There's just too much post processing that Samsung applies. They really need to scale it back and make it a user option or turn it down if we have scene optimizer off. Even in Pro Mode they apply way too much smoothing of the details.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Been playing around with the camera more and you're right. There's just too much post processing that Samsung applies. They really need to scale it back and make it a user option or turn it down if we have scene optimizer off. Even in Pro Mode they apply way too much smoothing of the details.
Google Camera apk really helps, but said Samsung cannot get this corrected. I don't mind having 2 camera apps, just wish I could have the Google camera as default so it'd launch from sleep on double tap of power button.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Google Camera apk really helps, but said Samsung cannot get this corrected. I don't mind having 2 camera apps, just wish I could have the Google camera as default so it'd launch from sleep on double tap of power button.
Yeah have the Google Camera app also. Going to play around with that next to compare.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Definitely an improvement when using the Google Cam. Looks like I'll be using it going forward.
Yeah, it certainly helps... Still disappointed it takes another app to accomplish decent indoor pics.
Also had some signal & call drop issues today. Will monitor some more, but if that continues then I will likely be returning my S10+.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it certainly helps... Still disappointed it takes another app to accomplish decent indoor pics.
Also had some signal & call drop issues today. Will monitor some more, but if that continues then I will likely be returning my S10+.
Yeah hopefully they improve the camera but I doubt it. Majority of people or your average person probably likes the processing Samsung does as they think it makes the pictures look better by smoothing some details.

I haven't had any connectivity issues. Everything other than the camera works really well. I hope your other issues gets sorted. It's definitely a great device overall. I do like what the Pixel 4 will look like and will definitely be picking one up if the leaks are true.

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
This isn't the first time I've read that the S10's cameras were...not great.
I think the camera has a lot of potential. I can almost always get a macro shot or close up right. Some other "point and shoot" stuff is hit and miss. I don't think the camera is bad, I think the software needs a tweak. I'm assuming things will get better in an update. Also, the video is superb, especially 4K / 30.
1ce592752a503111ac970c047d1d5d9b.jpg

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately it's just how Samsungs are. All the galaxies I've had did it. It's how they work in average to low light.
Most noticeable on hair /fur, skin and things like grain in wood. Just gets blended together.
Main reason I stuck with my Pixel 3. Plus I take photos in these conditions a bit.
I tried the Google camera on the S9+ when we had it but for some reason it had horrible purple pinkish banding and artifacts.

dougm1970

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
i know i'm in s10 lands here....but this is on my s8+ on android pie / one ui ....i dunno, but apart from camera interface i think quality of shots have improved for me since the update...
52f5dd1118938ed7a9afecd6d0f8c48d.jpg

Last edited:

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting because, to me, pictures where the flash fires look infinitely better than indoor shots where there's decent lighting and the flash isn't needed ...
bee4b4b46f499d46e3285fc056a66674.jpg
ef019e8a59e72e8b84446c94ad7f64b2.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89