09-11-2020 06:37 AM
40 12
tools
    Why does the Galaxy Store need access to my Phone and Contacts? It won't let me update any Samsung apps without it.

Galaxy Store needs access to Phone and Contacts-screenshot_20190412-065623_galaxy-store.jpg
    04-12-2019 07:00 AM
    This is from the galaxy app privacy terms.

If you allow the sharing of Contacts information with us, the telephone numbers of the people in Contacts will be collected by us to facilitate file sharing and messaging with the people in your Contacts. You can turn off the file sharing and messaging features or restrict the scope of sharing by going to your profile settings.

So theoretically the app should work fine even with the permissions disabled.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-13-2019 02:36 PM
    This is from the galaxy app privacy terms.

If you allow the sharing of Contacts information with us, the telephone numbers of the people in Contacts will be collected by us to facilitate file sharing and messaging with the people in your Contacts. You can turn off the file sharing and messaging features or restrict the scope of sharing by going to your profile settings.

So theoretically the app should work fine even with the permissions disabled.
    But it doesn't let me open the store without granting access to my contacts first. I feel like that's really shady of them to want access to my contacts without there being a reason yet.
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    04-13-2019 10:54 PM
    Not towards OP but general question.

What's the big deal, I always wondered.

I have a co-worker that refuses to sign up for any Points/Rewards because he feels they will use it or steal his identity.

Is this similar?

Will the app not work if you don't accept?
    04-14-2019 09:08 AM
    Think of it this way. Your contacts are sitting in a Samsung phone with the software coded by Samsung. If they wanted access to your contacts and phone, they already have it even if they didn't ask your permission. This is just for certain features that the store app can directly share to Samsung contacts.
    04-14-2019 09:12 AM
    Why does the Galaxy Store need access to my Phone and Contacts? It won't let me update any Samsung apps without it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190412-065623_Galaxy Store.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	301876
    The GALAXY App store is part of the profile Sharing the Samsung phones have, so nothing to be worried about .
    04-14-2019 09:55 AM
    Think of it this way. Your contacts are sitting in a Samsung phone with the software coded by Samsung. If they wanted access to your contacts and phone, they already have it even if they didn't ask your permission. This is just for certain features that the store app can directly share to Samsung contacts.
    That is not correct. That would be a breach of personal information, hence the reason the app is asking for these permissions. It might be a Samsung phone, but it's using Google's Android OS which has proper security that companies must (should) follow or they can get sued for breach of personal information...and Samsung, being one of the biggest suppliers of phones will definitely not want to get on the wrong side. There's always the chance of them, or someone within their organization, could attempt to gain access to such information. But that is still against the law.
    As for the app requiring us to allow these permissions is, to say the least, a stupid move on their part and a bit shady. Once you agree, by the time you go into settings to turn it off, they already can get your full list of contacts. This is simply a a workaround to be compliant with regulations, but still get info you don't want shared. Hopefully complaints stack up enough to push back on them to "Do NOT do this and change this immediately!"

The GALAXY App store is part of the profile Sharing the Samsung phones have, so nothing to be worried about .
    I've never had to allow the sharing of my personal information to use their app in the past. I don't think this is accurate. I want to access their store to purchase an app. They do not need to know all my contacts to do that. And, I won't let that information out in respect to all the people I have in my contacts list! This should be of concern to everyone!!
    The only reason I would want to share this information is for Samsung Backup...But that is different from the store and I don't think there is any relation.
    Gary02468 and Apple2Droid like this.
    06-08-2019 10:42 PM
    I've never had to allow the sharing of my personal information to use their app in the past. I don't think this is accurate. I want to access their store to purchase an app. They do not need to know all my contacts to do that. And, I won't let that information out in respect to all the people I have in my contacts list! This should be of concern to everyone!!
    The only reason I would want to share this information is for Samsung Backup...But that is different from the store and I don't think there is any relation.
    If you didn't use profile sharing or turn it on, guess you have nothing to worry . You know what worries me ? Carriers selling our phone numbers , robocalls ect .
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    06-08-2019 10:55 PM
    If you didn't use profile sharing or turn it on, guess you have nothing to worry . You know what worries me ? Carriers selling our phone numbers , robocalls ect .
    Exactly!! You know how much Samsung could make off of selling this info collected from us. What sux is that other people have my information and may not realize what they are agreeing to which will potentially screw me over. Awareness is needed about things such as this. I don't have profile sharing or any of that enabled. But if I was to agree tip that BS they are asking for, whether or not I have profile sharing on or off, I've just given them a way to steal my information (actually allow them to take it). So I won't be accessing their store until they fix it. No way am I agreeing to that!
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    06-08-2019 11:05 PM
    That is not correct. That would be a breach of personal information, hence the reason the app is asking for these permissions. It might be a Samsung phone, but it's using Google's Android OS which has proper security that companies must (should) follow or they can get sued for breach of personal information...and Samsung, being one of the biggest suppliers of phones will definitely not want to get on the wrong side. There's always the chance of them, or someone within their organization, could attempt to gain access to such information. But that is still against the law.
    As for the app requiring us to allow these permissions is, to say the least, a stupid move on their part and a bit shady. Once you agree, by the time you go into settings to turn it off, they already can get your full list of contacts. This is simply a a workaround to be compliant with regulations, but still get info you don't want shared. Hopefully complaints stack up enough to push back on them to "Do NOT do this and change this immediately!"
    No. If your contacts are saved to the phone (and not Google or any of the other choices), it's by default set to save to Samsung Cloud. So yes, your personal info are already on one of the servers of whatever service you chose.
    This is also like by default on Pixel phones the contacta are being sent to Google servers.
    The companies are labelling this as a backup feature.
    Laura Knotek and Gary02468 like this.
    06-08-2019 11:25 PM
    I noticed the same thing when I tried using Samsung link sharing. I denied it and denied myself in turn to use it. Smh.
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    06-09-2019 12:21 AM
    No. If your contacts are saved to the phone (and not Google or any of the other choices), it's by default set to save to Samsung Cloud. So yes, your personal info are already on one of the servers of whatever service you chose.
    This is also like by default on Pixel phones the contacta are being sent to Google servers.
    The companies are labelling this as a backup feature.
    I'm fine with the info stored on Google. But the app also requires access to "make calls" which I don't the galaxy app store has any legitimate reason for that. I can only assume they want that access to get detailed info about call logs...Still, why...? In short, I fail to see any reasoning on allowing such access to my personal data in order to simply open and use an app store. If Samsung already has access to said data, then what reasoning would they have to ask in the first place.....?
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    06-09-2019 05:34 PM
    I'm fine with the info stored on Google. But the app also requires access to "make calls" which I don't the galaxy app store has any legitimate reason for that. I can only assume they want that access to get detailed info about call logs...Still, why...? In short, I fail to see any reasoning on allowing such access to my personal data in order to simply open and use an app store. If Samsung already has access to said data, then what reasoning would they have to ask in the first place.....?
    You can change permission, so if disable that service it's fine . This is nothing new in Android phones.
    06-09-2019 05:54 PM
    Sorry, I think the conversion is being directed in the wrong direction here. About Samsung having access to our data...that's essentially not related to what is actually happening here. The issue arty hand has to do with the app itself asking for rights to the data. Samsung as an entity and the app were completely separate here and I think this may be misleading a bit. Regardless of what Samsung has access to and whatnot, the key point is why the app needs access to this data as how it plans on using it?
    The Galaxy App privacy terms simply doesn't make sense for its operation. I'm not exactly sure why sharing and messaging would be needed in a app store unless it was simply to share apps. But a simple link to the app is all that is needed that you can use to share with email or messaging app...without having to share all the data.
    The app should, at most, simply inform the user when denying access that the choice made may prevent said actions and limited functionality rather than blocking the use of the app if denied.
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    06-09-2019 05:56 PM
    Sorry, I think the conversion is being directed in the wrong direction here. About Samsung having access to our data...that's essentially not related to what is actually happening here. The issue arty hand has to do with the app itself asking for rights to the data. Samsung as an entity and the app were completely separate here and I think this may be misleading a bit. Regardless of what Samsung has access to and whatnot, the key point is why the app needs access to this data as how it plans on using it?
    The Galaxy App privacy terms simply doesn't make sense for its operation. I'm not exactly sure why sharing and messaging would be needed in a app store unless it was simply to share apps. But a simple link to the app is all that is needed that you can use to share with email or messaging app...without having to share all the data.
    The app should, at most, simply inform the user when denying access that the choice made may prevent said actions and limited functionality rather than blocking the use of the app if denied.
    Think about it , Google play store ask for storage,sms,contacts why would the play store ask for this well to make Google assistant better,Google services ect.

This is same for Galaxy app store for functionality of it's Galaxy user experience.
    06-09-2019 06:00 PM
    Samsung Social.

Galaxy Store needs access to Phone and Contacts-screenshot_20190609-191624_samsung-experience-service.jpg
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    06-09-2019 06:16 PM
    Turn off Samsung Customization Service in the Galaxy Store app or follow the instruction's in the link. Everything works perfectly with it disabled. I think Samsung is going a bit to far with this.

https://www.samsung.com/us/account/customization-service/
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    06-09-2019 07:01 PM
    Turn off Samsung Customization Service in the Galaxy Store app or follow the instruction's in the link. Everything works perfectly with it disabled. I think Samsung is going a bit to far with this.

https://www.samsung.com/us/account/customization-service/
    Nice! Thank you for that info. I guess this solves this whole dilemma.
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    06-09-2019 10:16 PM

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=4Ut9C-5f
    Nice! Thank you for that info. I guess this solves this whole dilemma.
    Does it? As soon as one of the Samsung apps shows an orange 'N' (i.e. 'update(s) available') and I tap 'update', it will launch the galaxy app, which then complains about not having access to contacts.

Reading the page you linked to seems to suggest you have to consent to your contacts being shared first (therefore also uploading them to their systems), before subsequently disabling that in your account settings. I don't want my contacts to be copied from my phone in the first place!
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    08-12-2019 07:59 AM
    Well if you really don't want that to happen then just save your contacts to your Google account, remove the Google account form your phone, use the galaxy store app, remove contacts permission from the galaxy store app, add your Google account.
    Simple.
    08-12-2019 04:56 PM
    Well if you really don't want that to happen then just save your contacts to your Google account, remove the Google account form your phone, use the galaxy store app, remove contacts permission from the galaxy store app, add your Google account.
    Simple.
    "Simple"

Apps shouldn't ask for contacts in the first place, and certainly not refuse to function without permission for them, if it isn't part of their core functionality. Especially not if it's additionally the sole vehicle to update manufacturer supplied apps with...
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    08-15-2019 10:56 AM
    I get what you're saying but unless there are enough people to complain directly to samsung nothing will change.
    Samsung will probably say 'if you don't like it don't use it' . Not ideal but not much we can do besides finding a workaround.
    08-15-2019 01:26 PM
    It would probably be more beneficial to get a public organisation of some sort to put the spotlight on this. Not sure which one though.

It's bizarre how many apps require access to your contact list (which is probably one of the holy grails of private user information, together with camera, microphone, location tracking acccess and the contents of your calendar), when they really don't need it for their main functioning. I vet new apps for access, and if an alternative requires less of it I'll go with that one. For the samsung update app however no alternative exists...

And just in case this pops up, the excuse of "so you can easily share the app with your friends" is NOT a core function.
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    09-21-2019 04:54 AM
    Android 10 is a step in the right direction.

https://www.cnet.com/news/android-10...vacy-settings/

The better and more technical angle here.

Some scary stuff knowing what use to allowed, too:

> Starting in Android 10, the platform doesn't keep track of contacts affinity information. As a result, if your app conducts a search on the user's contacts, the results aren't ordered by frequency of interaction.

https://developer.android.com/about/...rivacy/changes

This gets into a can of worms -

>>>
    Contacts Provider is a powerful and flexible Android component that manages the device's central repository of data about people.

The Contacts Provider is the source of data you see in the device's contacts application, and you can also access its data in your own application and transfer data between the device and online services.
    <<<

https://developer.android.com/guide/...tacts-provider

I always thought Facebook was what the NSA would create to trick the public into helping build a global database "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon."

Also, maybe I need a Contact list that is... only me. And keep everyone else I talk to via snail mail, POTS (landline) totally old school.
    Because, what I am seeing, is scary and there is no privacy.
    Smart phones / not smart
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    09-21-2019 06:20 AM
    But it doesn't let me open the store without granting access to my contacts first. I feel like that's really shady of them to want access to my contacts without there being a reason yet.
    I 100% agree with you!! I've been struggling with this very issue for two weeks as I'm a first time Galaxy phone customer. I think I'm returning my Note 10 this week because of this very issue. I could continue to use it in "renegade mode," by not logging into the SammyVerse, but I would never ever trust them, which would make me start to hate this phone.

Can you elaborate on this? I am still very concerned about this so I'd like to understand what you mean here.
    10-20-2019 02:12 PM
40 12