If iMessages is so great why can't Android Messages just copy its functionality?

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: If I Messages is so great why can't Android Messages just copy its functionality?

I definitely don't agree. Google isn't doing it to keep the welfare of other apps going. They have zero investment in those apps so if they died off it wouldn't do anything to them personally.

Apple doesn't care because Apple never let people change messaging apps (for the default at least) anyway so it isn't like they doomed another app like you suggest Google is trying not to do.

They don't want other apps to go away. They're trying to be 'friendly'.

Google can create an I message clone easily. They have geniuses here that do it on their own time at home. So it's not a question of doing it. It's just not allowed.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: If I Messages is so great why can't Android Messages just copy its functionality?

Google can create an I message clone easily. They have geniuses here that do it on their own time at home. So it's not a question of doing it. It's just not allowed.

I still disagree on them being friendly. They have Google docs -- why? Why aren't they friendly to Microsoft Word and not have Google docs?

Just doesn't make sense. You don't make 40 messaging apps if you aren't trying to do messaging or as you say "being friendly".. they just suck at doing it.

dtones39

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site

Actually, it's not easy. It's "easy" for Apple because they have control over the OS and hardware. Google on the other hand has to deal with tons of phones, OS versions, manufacturers like Samsung and Huawei who control their own software hardware and on and on. Google could possibly create something simply for the pixel but at this point, would not be worth it since it's such a small percentage of Android phones.

Incomes RCS, once that is the new standard across the board, they can build something that is compatible with all versions of Android.

And no, they are not not building one just to be nice to other messaging apps. Google makes a ton of their own apps that compete with tons of 3rd party apps.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Actually, it's not easy. It's "easy" for Apple because they have control over the OS and hardware. Google on the other hand has to deal with tons of phones, OS versions, manufacturers like Samsung and Huawei who control their own software hardware and on and on. Google could possibly create something simply for the pixel but at this point, would not be worth it since it's such a small percentage of Android phones.

Incomes RCS, once that is the new standard across the board, they can build something that is compatible with all versions of Android.

And no, they are not not building one just to be nice to other messaging apps. Google makes a ton of their own apps that compete with tons of 3rd party apps.

Google can integrate it into Android or an app and let the OEMs address how they connect

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
What does iMessage do that's so darned special anyway? All I'm aware of is the ability to send and receive uncompressed videos. Is there anything else it does that's so wonderful such a "can't-live-without-it" feature?

And why can't we send and receive uncompressed videos. Why do all videos sent and received through Android look like grainy, 1990's vintage crap?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What does iMessage do that's so darned special anyway? All I'm aware of is the ability to send and receive uncompressed videos. Is there anything else it does that's so wonderful such a "can't-live-without-it" feature?

And why can't we send and receive uncompressed videos. Why do all videos sent and received through Android look like grainy, 1990's vintage crap?

Mainly the videos yes. Also the "extras" that iMessage has (games and such -- not for me). I would say that video still is the main reason. It also has read receipts and such + also can be used on WiFi w/ no cell connection. iMessage also syncs across all Apple devices (if you have others like a Mac or iPad). I also like it for Apple Pay (friends can text me money easily).

As for the video on Android the reason it is grainy is because it is using MMS which goes through the carrier. MMS can't really handle huge files but the carriers also compress it down and therefore you get super crap video quality. iMessage gets around this because it is basically you just sending data to an Apple server which then sends it to the other person (like WhatsApp and such)... therefore it bypasses the carrier compression.

lparsons21

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site

It does both iMessage via apple servers and sms seamlessly. I know that if I send a text via iMessage that it will show up on the recipients end regardless of whether they support the features of iMessage exclusive to Apple.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I miss hangout with text message integration... not sure why they removed it.

I still use hangouts until they kill it...LOL

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
imessage is the one feature about iPhone that I'm totally jealous of .
And it's not just the video quality , it's tons of stuff like games and file sending and on and on.

I feel sure Google could do something if they just would do it.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

erm stock messages is sent as text and mms and i cant make family groups in messages.but in Whatsapp i could make groups.share photos and videos...

Whatsapp is more like iMessage rather than Samsung Messages...

And texts and mms are sent completely unencrypted

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
iMessage is just a secure chat app nothing special on face value the genius is the implementation.

All iphones ship with it installed and it is turned on by default. So there is no active i need to use this or download this for non tech people it is just there... Whatsapp and messenger off the same functionality (not sure about the security) but you need to get other people to use it. YOu need to use it from a seperate app for SMS and this creating a barrier of entry. If google could create an app that handled sms/RCS/chat seamlessly and build it into android framework in a way that could not be data harvested and thus google not opening themselves to antitrust suits like they are currently going through in the EU.

there is nothing magic about apples software they just put it front and center and dont force you to download seperately as well as name it something clever so it takes the form of a verb like google did. "Just google it" really is just a web search and just like facetime is just a video call but it is a clever catchy name that become ubiquitous with the action. imessage is just a built in chat app. but you can do chat and sms together.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It’s true though - Google could have pushed an iMessage like messenger as standard on all android phones for years but failed to do so. Why? Beats me.

lparsons21

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
Even if they did that still wouldn't be compatible with iMessage

That’s true, but if nearly every Android phone had a Message app that works similarly to iMessage, it wouldn’t be an issue at all. And that’s the idea around RCS. Ideally for,users, RCS would be the default on all devices, but it isn’t certain that apple will get onboard or if Google won’t just abandon it at some point.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That’s true, but if nearly every Android phone had a Message app that works similarly to iMessage, it wouldn’t be an issue at all. And that’s the idea around RCS. Ideally for,users, RCS would be the default on all devices, but it isn’t certain that apple will get onboard or if Google won’t just abandon it at some point.

It would still be an issue if you have family members or friends on iMessage unless Apple gets on board is all I'm saying.

lparsons21

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
It would still be an issue if you have family members or friends on iMessage unless Apple gets on board is all I'm saying.

Yes, but not as big of one IMO. If, and it is a very big if, Apple gets onboard the RCS train it would be great. OTOH, Google’s history with messaging is a hot mess and shows no sign of changing unfortunately.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'll now have to try whatsapp because I really just don't get it, on either side. I've never had an issue using regular SMS apps. Never a problem sending, receiving messages or want for anything better. To stay on topic Android's hesitance to reproduce iMessages is probably the fact that while Apple can steal from anyone anyone who even comes close to something they feel is theirs best watch out. Any progress best go slowly and stay this side of the line.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'll now have to try whatsapp because I really just don't get it, on either side. I've never had an issue using regular SMS apps. Never a problem sending, receiving messages or want for anything better. To stay on topic Android's hesitance to reproduce iMessages is probably the fact that while Apple can steal from anyone anyone who even comes close to something they feel is theirs best watch out. Any progress best go slowly and stay this side of the line.

Plenty have done what iMessage has done way before iMessage.. I doubt anyone has to watch out.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

RCS is a joke and won’t catch on at all. First of all, any messages sent on that standard are completely unencrypted. And secondly, it looks like Google is pushing the standard for that exact reason - that way, the company will be able to steal even more user data. Distrust of google is what’s keeping the standard from being deployed in Europe and elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress