Going from a 6.4'' to a 6.1'' S10??

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello
I have a 6T with 6.4'' and given the abusive price of the S10+ I wonder if getting an S10 with its smaller screen is a bad idea or not.
Anyone went from 6.4 to 6.1?
If yes do you feel a big difference?
Do you get used to it quickly or you always regret the bigger screen?
I heard the S10+ battery is much better than S10, is it true or exaggerated?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It feels weird once you used the S10+.

As for the battery, it is better because it's larger capacity.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I started with the S10+ and returned it cause the FPS was terrible. Still really wanted the phone though and decided to give it another try but felt the S10+ was just a bit too big on my belt so I opted for the S10. I kept it and love it. The FPS for some reason is working way better for me than it did on the S10+ and that could be less room with which to improperly position your finger. I also really didn't like the bigger pill cutout in the screen and prefer the single smaller hole. Overall I don't regret the S10 at all. I came from an LG V30 which is wider but about the same vertical length. Icons are smaller yes, but everything looks sleek and sharp and I do find I can navigate the screen easier one handed - and I have good sized hands and am 6' 2" tall.

Rev.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I am starting to think that 6.1 is the new sweet-spot for phone size. Right now I have the S10+ (ceramic) P30 pro, P30 and Pixel 3. Having used the Pixel for a week or so I used the 10+ again yesterday and it felt huge.

It is something I flip-flop on, managing the larger size both in terms of use and carrying burden to enjoy the larger screen. The thing is 6.1 is still a pretty big screen and I had and returned the regular S10 and it felt a great size.

The standard P30 is the 'If Only' phone of the year so far for me, had Huawei not crippled it so much it would be my choice and I am actually again thinking of getting the standard S10 again. The 10+ is almost certainly going on fleabay this weekend and maybe the P30 pro too.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Now I feel the 5.8'' of S8 small, I had also a U11+ 5.95'' and it was good for me, then I got the 6.4'', I was expecting a big difference in size but I didn't in reality, perhaps due to the waterdrop notch that gives the impression of a smaller screen.
I think because of water drop notch a 6.4'' is in reality 6.3'' , an S10 6.05'' and the s10+ due to the cigar shape dual lens 6.25~6.3''
Also given the update for battery on S10, is there still a good advantage for the s10+ in terms of battery?

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I came from the Note 9 to the S10. I purchased both the S10 and the S10+ to see which one I wanted to keep. For me it was not about battery life and size but for practicality and comfort.

I'm 6'3" so it's not about to big or small for my hands but a level of comfort in my pocket. The S10 is great and battery life is good. So I'm happy with my decision.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Note 9 and S10. I've been using the S10 more lately because I'm actually liking the smaller form factor but with a larger screen to body ratio compared to the past S8 and S9. It's a nice change of pace as I've been always using the larger flagships of both Android and Apple devices.

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I went from all large phones (S8+, Note 8, S9+ & Note 9) to the regular S10 because I wanted something more comfortable and one handed.

Initially I was confident and comfortable in my decision. But as time went on I realized that I had to use two hands most of the time anyways and my battery life has been very inconsistent and just not good enough for me considering I'm used to larger batteries.

It kept eating at me and I knew that I wouldn't be happy in the long run, so I purchased a S10+ from Swappa. Once I receive it on Monday I will put my regular S10 up for sale.

I guess what I learned is that larger phones with larger batteries are the way to go for me.

pootyash

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
For me, 6.1" is the sweet spot - still usually pocketable even with a protective case on it, still doable for one-handed use (although I have relatively small hands for a dude).

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I saw some videos on youtube where the reviewers said the cigar shape hole of the s10+ is nearly unbearable with most wallpapers or when watching videos full screen, the s10 smaller punch hole is more discreet and acceptable.
I am already suffering from the small notch of the 6T, pushing me to choose wallpapers with dark upper part, so the s10 is not a bad idea after all, but in another side the battery of the s10+ is much better no?
Anyone has both to compare SOT with the same usage?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I saw some videos on youtube where the reviewers said the cigar shape hole of the s10+ is nearly unbearable with most wallpapers or when watching videos full screen, the s10 smaller punch hole is more discreet and acceptable.
I am already suffering from the small notch of the 6T, pushing me to choose wallpapers with dark upper part, so the s10 is not a bad idea after all, but in another side the battery of the s10+ is much better no?

I don't have both so I can't talk about screen on time usage but the hole cut out of the S10 Plus doesn't bother me at all

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I had the S10 since 2 days before launch and just switched to the S10+ this Monday. In the 3 days I've used the S10+, I don't regret my decision one bit. My battery usage patterns haven't even been optimized yet and I'm already seeing significantly better battery life with my S10+.

With my S10, I would have to charge later in the afternoon on a heavier day. On a work day, I usually got through fine. But the reason for that is that I can't use my phone while I'm at work. I only use it on my breaks. So on those days it would last until I went to bed. With the S10+ I can get through any day, work or not, with no problem at all.

Idle time is better, SOT is better, and overall battery life is better. And not just better, but significantly better. It's definitely worth it imo. I initially got the S10 because I wasn't a big fan of the pill shape cutout and I wanted a smaller phone. Well it turns out that the S10+ doesn't even feel that much larger to me and I've already tuned out the pill shape cutout. It doesn't bother me like I thought it would.

As far as the topic of this thread, I came from a Note 9 and I also don't regret that decision one bit. Even though the battery capacity was pretty much the same, I'm getting better battery life with my S10+. I'm attributing it to the Snapdragon 855.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Being in the UK I have to get by with the Exynos and battery is not great on either the S10 or 10+. I'd say that the P30 pro is head and shoulders better in this regard and even the standard P30 is better than both S10s, at least that has been my findings. I have as I always do disabled apps and restricted background apps where possible to improve the battery and for my albeit lightish use can easily get a day from the S10.

I do find the double cut out to be more noticeable on the plus and for me has little benefit (not a big selfie guy) if it was bigger to include proper 3d face unlock then maybe it would be worth it. The 10+ at least the ceramic one is a significantly bigger burden than the standard S10 and takes some managing.

For these reasons I'd say the reduced battery of the standard 10 is maybe lesser of the evils. I also think that the P30 pro is the better larger phone and the standard 10 the best medium sized phone currently available.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Note 9 and S10. I've been using the S10 more lately because I'm actually liking the smaller form factor but with a larger screen to body ratio compared to the past S8 and S9. It's a nice change of pace as I've been always using the larger flagships of both Android and Apple devices.
This is exactly how I feel. I swear some won't be happy until they are doing this.
f2d1ceac4f456624ad9902dfeda3af99.jpg

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
i had the s10+ and returned for the s10 the only thing i miss is the battery, if i only ever used my phone in controlled safe environments i would not worry but it is too big to use one handed often enough. the s10 works for me i was tempted to go with the s10e because i hate the FPS it just sucks and is slow. i use face recognition if someone steals my phone i dont have trade secrets in there so i am not worried.