S10 will not allow me to use any sound in the Notifications folder

BrianJS320

Apr 25, 2019
Visit site
No matter what I do I can't get my S10 (unlocked) to read the Notifications folder for custom notification sounds.

Just got the S10 (previous S9 running Pie).
Everything sorted except one annoying thing.

I had a custom sound in the S9 that I used for Google Calendar events. Just added it to the Notifications folder and it can be chosen via dialogs.
Exact same folder and file on the S10 - file / sound does not appear in any of the dialogs, whether it be via Settings , Google calendar settings etc. Tried remaking the folder, rebooting, nada.

Ideas?

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No matter what I do I can't get my S10 (unlocked) to read the Notifications folder for custom notification sounds.

Just got the S10 (previous S9 running Pie).
Everything sorted except one annoying thing.

I had a custom sound in the S9 that I used for Google Calendar events. Just added it to the Notifications folder and it can be chosen via dialogs.
Exact same folder and file on the S10 - file / sound does not appear in any of the dialogs, whether it be via Settings , Google calendar settings etc. Tried remaking the folder, rebooting, nada.

Ideas?

try making a new Notifications folder and copy all the tones there.it worked for me.

BrianJS320

Apr 25, 2019
Visit site
Thanks Hermes,
I have tried that, used My Files to make the folder then moved a sound file into it, then rebooted. No luck, doesn't make any sense.
BTW, I can add files to my Ringtones folder and they can be chosen (for Ringtone).

BrianJS320

Apr 25, 2019
Visit site
I found the problem :)

I'd noticed that the S10 had some .nomedia files in some libraries, (note the S9 does not although it is running the same version - Android 9.0
One of these .nomedia files was in the Root folder of internal storage. Didn't know what they were for so Googled it - they are used to speed up scanning for media files - i.e. if a .nomedia file is in a folder it will not be scanned , including any subfolders.

Why it was in the root I have no idea, but once I removed it, the files in Notifications became available.
Weird thing is it somehow didn't affect the Ringtones folder, Music folders etc.

I found another 9 on the phone, all in folders that don't or would not have media, mostly in the Android folder.
Any way, problem solved, and this might help others.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I found the problem :)

I'd noticed that the S10 had some .nomedia files in some libraries, (note the S9 does not although it is running the same version - Android 9.0
One of these .nomedia files was in the Root folder of internal storage. Didn't know what they were for so Googled it - they are used to speed up scanning for media files - i.e. if a .nomedia file is in a folder it will not be scanned , including any subfolders.

Why it was in the root I have no idea, but once I removed it, the files in Notifications became available.
Weird thing is it somehow didn't affect the Ringtones folder, Music folders etc.

I found another 9 on the phone, all in folders that don't or would not have media, mostly in the Android folder.
Any way, problem solved, and this might help others.

Wow now thats some detailed troubleshooting...all by yourself. Hahaha.have fun with the S10 :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte17