No LED Notification light on S10e?

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Just noticed that when I charged my S10e for the first time, there is no notification LED light...This is kind of bit of a negative for me. I read that on the from facing camera ring, it should light up or is this from some kind of app I need to download?

This would be very annoying if Samsung has taken out the LED notifications...

I had also been an iPhone owner in the past before switching to Samsung Galaxy phones, and among the major annoyances I had on the iPhone that there were no notification LED.

This would be somewhat a deal breaker for me if Samsung has dropped the notification LED.

What if there was a missed call or a message?
This was great on the S9, since all I had to do is glance over and check the LED light if there was a missed call or a message.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
There is an app for that...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.used.aoe&showAllReviews=true

It requires some setup but it will allow you to use the light around the camera as a notification light. You could also use the flash, for the back camera, as a notification light. The setting for that is in the Accessibilities settings. Also there is a feature to have the phone vibrate when picked up if there were any notifications received that were not acknowledged since the last time the device was picked up. I think that is under notifications...

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
No thanks. Afraid that these apps will just eat the battery like crazy.

It is not the end of the world, I can perhaps live without the LED light notification.

My main concern, is that when I charge my phone, I need to know when the charge has completed. This was great on my S9, when the charge has finished, the LED light turned green.

I am just afraid that without the charging LED notification color when the charging is finished, I am worried that the phone will over-charge resulting in damage. So, this is where the LED notification or charging light would come in handy.

blazers88

May 9, 2019
Visit site

It is not the end of the world, I can perhaps live without the LED light notification.

My main concern, is that when I charge my phone, I need to know when the charge has completed. This was great on my S9, when the charge has finished, the LED light turned green.

I am just afraid that without the charging LED notification color when the charging is finished, I am worried that the phone will over-charge resulting in damage. So, this is where the LED notification or charging light would come in handy.

There is an official Samsung app called good luck for notification light and an app called holy light which people really like also. The phone didn’t come with one built in I guess so you have to obtain it through apps
Also your phone can’t “over charge”. It stops charging as soon as it reaches 100%

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Or you can use the built in Edge Lighting setting. This lights up the edge of the screen for notifications. You can set your own color, width and have light up only when the screen off or always.

CellFoneChik

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I think the phone vibrates when there's a missed message. Though I admit, I miss the charging indicator and the missed txt messages it's good because it puts me in control of when I can respond, not when my phone wants me to.

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
I think the phone vibrates when there's a missed message. Though I admit, I miss the charging indicator and the missed txt messages it's good because it puts me in control of when I can respond, not when my phone wants me to.

This is actually a great way to view it... I hated not having a notification light at first, but then I realized I became much less concerned with any notifications on my phone since there's no notification light constantly blinking, annoyingly so most times, in my peripheral vision. Kinda liberating in a weird way...

gadgetfreak2

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
There is an official Samsung app called good luck for notification light and an app called holy light which people really like also. The phone didn’t come with one built in I guess so you have to obtain it through apps
Also your phone can’t “over charge”. It stops charging as soon as it reaches 100%

Do you have a link to the official Samsung app called "Good Luck for Notification"? I don't see it.

Also, no one mentioned AOD. iPhone doesn't have it and I think it has really helped me get over the lack of LED notification light that I had on all my previous Galaxys.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

So you'd rather assume these apps are battery hogs vs trying them for yourself?

You'll know when it's charged when you look at it. You haven't had the "need to know" for years. Smart charging technology has prevented overcharging for years. That's why you can put your phone on the charger at bedtime and wake up to a fully charged phone with no impact on your battery.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

You'll see it the next time you look at your phone. It won't be the end of the world if you miss a call or text. If you have requirement to answer calls and texts as they arrive, you'd have your phone with you any way.

Simmid

Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
Just noticed that when I charged my S10e for the first time, there is no notification LED light...This is kind of bit of a negative for me. I read that on the from facing camera ring, it should light up or is this from some kind of app I need to download?

I had also been an iPhone owner in the past before switching to Samsung Galaxy phones, and among the major annoyances I had on the iPhone that there were no notification LED.

This would be somewhat a deal breaker for me if Samsung has dropped the notification LED.

This was great on the S9, since all I had to do is glance over and check the LED light if there was a missed call or a message.

Settings, Accessibility, Advanced Settings, Flash Notification. From there select camera or screen flash. Easy breezy.

Last edited by a moderator:

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Or settings, display, edge lighting. It flashes around the edge of the screen for incoming notifications. You can customize colors and styles.

Ethynil

Dec 5, 2019
Visit site
Or you can use the built in Edge Lighting setting. This lights up the edge of the screen for notifications. You can set your own color, width and have light up only when the screen off or always.

Would you please elaborate on how to access and set up edge lighting? I have not come across it since getting my Galaxy S10e a couple of weeks ago.

Stephen

Gene L

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site

The work around solution I found was Settings, Lock Screen, Always On Display. Press and hold for settings. Change "Display mode" to "Show always". The clock, charging status and notifications (depending on notification settings) will always show on the display when the phone is not in use and while charging.