So I just picked up the S10e, replacing a J3 Eclipse. Nice speed upgrade, more efficient interface, but I immediately noticed the headphone sound wasn't as good as with my Eclipse (which had no enhancements made to the stock sound).

The highs on the S10e are tinny and shrill, even after adjusting the EQ, using Altos and adapting the sound, which maybe made a slight improvement. I'm using Apple earbuds which have always given the best sound on any device I've used.

Anyone else notice this? Perhaps it's just my device? I could live with it, as it's not terrible or broken, but I use my phone very heavily for music, so I'm leaning towards returning it as I shouldn't be taking a step backwards when it comes to audio.
    07-22-2019 12:36 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! What happens if you turn off EQ completely?
    07-22-2019 01:12 PM
    Hi! It sounds worse. The basic sound w/o altering any of the advanced options is quite poor.
    07-22-2019 01:36 PM
    Even though your Apple earbuds have been your best earphones, have you tried others on the phone? Apple headphones can be a little funky when it comes to Android devices, due to the slightly different iPhone headphone jack configuration.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-22-2019 03:37 PM
    I haven't noticed that with mine, using the included AKG earbuds.
    07-22-2019 03:37 PM
    I bought a pair of wireless Anker headphones, which didn't sound as good (naturally being wireless). My opinion is based on comparing the sound between the Eclipse and Galaxy using the same Apple earbuds. I haven't tried the one's that came with the phone but will to see if it makes a difference.

I also noticed when talking on the phone that voices have a more tinny/shrill sound to them and have to turn the volume down. Obviously this phone is tuned differently than the Eclipse, which had a warmer/fuller sound.
    07-23-2019 10:14 AM
    Bought a pair of wireless headphones on prime day. They sound great using my S10e just like my S5.Disappointed with sound for music-1564065286195.jpeg
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-25-2019 09:35 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I too would recommend using the headphones that came with your phone to see if that makes a difference.

If you really enjoy the S10e otherwise, perhaps exchange it for a new one and see if the sound is improved. It could be that you have a lemon! Keep us posted!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-25-2019 06:41 PM
    So I just picked up the S10e, replacing a J3 Eclipse. Nice speed upgrade, more efficient interface, but I immediately noticed the headphone sound wasn't as good as with my Eclipse (which had no enhancements made to the stock sound).

The highs on the S10e are tinny and shrill, even after adjusting the EQ, using Altos and adapting the sound, which maybe made a slight improvement. I'm using Apple earbuds which have always given the best sound on any device I've used.

Anyone else notice this? Perhaps it's just my device? I could live with it, as it's not terrible or broken, but I use my phone very heavily for music, so I'm leaning towards returning it as I shouldn't be taking a step backwards when it comes to audio.
    APPLE EAR BUDS? Hey man, you've got to spend a little bit of cash and get some quality buds. I've got klipsch 8rxi buds. They're fantastic. Of course being a music lover, I also carry my cowon plenue r high res player with me since I got the s10e. Before that, I had the LG V30. You can't beat the sound of LG phones because they have an ESS 32BIT SABRE QUAD DAC built in.
    08-18-2019 02:25 PM
    I bought a s10e about a month ago but I haven't encountered such a sound problem.
    My audio is crisp and has high quality sound.
    I don't know exactly what your problem may be but it might be your device
    08-18-2019 04:37 PM