dropped my phone, back cracked and now no mobile data :(

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
So I dropped by phone off a ladder today, fell a good 6 feet onto concrete and cracked the back pretty well. It was in a slim clear case, obviously not enough for protection. And now mobile data isn't working :( it goes in between having bars with no data to no service at all
I called an authorized repair center and he said it's possible the mother board is damaged, I'm wondering if the antenna simply became disconnected when this happened? Anyone have any other ideas? I saw a video that showed the rear glass being simple enough to replace, figure it can't hurt to pop the glass off and see if I can spot any noticeable issues?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
So does the device still work, besides data and cell signal? If it's still booting up and apps opening the odds of it being the mother board are pretty low. I mean that's what makes the phone a phone.

If you intend to take matters into your own hands, you'd probably want to have the replacement part available. I say this because while removing the back isn't very difficult, removing a cracked piece of glass in a singular piece that can be reinstalled is probably not going to happen. What's the worst that could happen, you get a replacement back, open it up, see what you see, if it's fixable you fix it, if not you sell the replacement back.

When you were checking out the difficulty level of removing the back did you also notice if the antenna snap on or are they part of a PCB? If they're PCB that board might be broken or damaged...

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
So does the device still work, besides data and cell signal? If it's still booting up and apps opening the odds of it being the mother board are pretty low. I mean that's what makes the phone a phone.

If you intend to take matters into your own hands, you'd probably want to have the replacement part available. I say this because while removing the back isn't very difficult, removing a cracked piece of glass in a singular piece that can be reinstalled is probably not going to happen. What's the worst that could happen, you get a replacement back, open it up, see what you see, if it's fixable you fix it, if not you sell the replacement back.

When you were checking out the difficulty level of removing the back did you also notice if the antenna snap on or are they part of a PCB? If they're PCB that board might be broken or damaged...

I have seen replacement glass pieces available so I'll be ordering one here shortly. Even if the piece isn't here yet, I'm going to open the back up regardless just to see what's going on. The antenna apparently does snap onto the back with the wireless charging pad, so it'll be right there and easily accessible. I'm hoping it simply became disconnected, if it needs to be replaced I'd better hope I can find the piece online!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87