Is Samsung going to really do this... Ads?

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Were they appearing in your internet browser? I know I get ads on websites, but that's due to me searching for a certain product or brand previously.
Who said it was in the internet browser? It appeared to me in my notifications bar. If it was on internet browser I wouldn't mind, since I use AdBlock App to solve it there.

andymallow

Jun 18, 2020
Visit site
I have been upset about this for a while for the same reason most people mention here...at a flagship price I should not be subsidizing the phone by being inundated with ads. This is wrong. If I get a budget device that I know I bought at a budget price BECAUSE ads will be served I expect this. Samsung makes great hardware and we love that aspect. They have made great leaps in their software with OneUI. The problem to me is Samsung is doing some shady stuff. The pixel can search local businesses from the dialer app...it uses google search. Samsung adds this feature to their dialer app but it is a third party software if you really read/understand the fine print. It isn't Samsung and it may or may not be using google search but it IS going through a third party (a company called Hiya). The problem I have with that is it really isn't explained well so you click OK to allow it to search not realizing you are agreeing to ANOTHER agreement and you get your search results.

Samsung seems to be a hodge-podge of third party solutions (Qihoo 360 anyone?) to perform many of the same functions that google (or apple) does on their phones native. It seems like Samsung not only is serving ads to us that we do not deserve let alone want but also is a secret labyrinth of third party agreements that we have to live with.

I had a Note 10 Plus - Facebook kept being installed without me doing so. I went in and disabled the SYSTEM LEVEL apps that run for Facebook and it STILL kept being installed. I could not find out how this was happening (stub app...full app...I don't care it was being installed and I did not want it to be). Then I found out about T-Mobile's BACKGROUND "appselector" app to "improve my experience" and THAT was what was adding Facebook. So I found that app in the list of system apps and removed it. But here is ANOTHER deal Samsung signed to allow someone else control over my $1,000+ device that I paid for fair and square.

It seems Samsung is the only company doing shady backdoor deals like this to give other entities access to something that we paid for and WE supposedly own. Yes I was finally able to disable most of this stuff but it took time...I had to find these things and then I had to disable them. Will they be re-enabled when I get a security patch? A major OS update? Not sure yet...but the problem should not be ME having to disable this stuff I should NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT ON A DEVICE I PAID AN EXTRAORDINARY AMOUNT FOR to OWN. I feel like even after shelling out that kind of money I still do not own the device when someone else can just load apps for me thinking it improves my experience...it doesn't.

I like Samsung hardware but I am done with Samsung until their business practices change. With a pixel I give my data to Google...bad as that may be it is ONE place to have to worry about and keep in check. Same for iOS or iPhone. With Samsung I might be at the mercy of more than a dozen companies let alone the agreements I have to agree to and create a Samsung account....oh...and then Samsung signs a deal with Microsoft to handle their cloud/backups. So ANOTHER third party.

Sorry Samsung...I'm not paying that kind of money so that you can make EVEN MORE MONEY selling deals to everyone in the world to do things behind the scenes on MY phone.

Last edited:

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If I were renting the phone, sure, but I bought the damn thing. Keep your ads OFF. HTC pulled a similar stunt, attempting to monetize their keyboard, the awful TouchPal, as well as what was once their best feature, Blinkfeed.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
No one. Was just asking to get an idea as many are seeing them in different areas. Most are complaining of them showing up in apps. First I've heard of the notifications bar, but I imagine that can be annoying.
Who said it was in the internet browser? It appeared to me in my notifications bar. If it was on internet browser I wouldn't mind, since I use AdBlock App to solve it there.

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
Nope, not ok.

Note 9 is my last Samsung phone, not even gonna chance it.

Maybe I'm getting old but I seem to care more about longevity than I used to and not having a bunch of crap on my phone I dont want.

90% sure my next phone will be a Pixel.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
No one. Was just asking to get an idea as many are seeing them in different areas. Most are complaining of them showing up in apps. First I've heard of the notifications bar, but I imagine that can be annoying.
Yeah, my friend, it was annoying. I took three days researching, asking and so on to disable it. I was ready to sell this phone when I finally could rid this 'feature' off. Is something integrated with 'Samsung AdServices' or some **** called this...

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Completely unacceptable. You pay $1400 for a phone, you shouldn't be forced with ads when you get it home. At the very least you should be able to turn them off.

I saw that article where they stick an ad in the dialer?! Really Samsung?? I think I read a month or two ago ads popping up in their Samsung Music app or something like that??

When I got my Note 8... Irritated me that I'd open the Samsung Store app to check on Samsung updates and I would get an ad the moment I opened it... and it had music playing at full blast causing attention before I had a chance to close it. And there was no option to disable.

I had to buy a lifetime subscription to Adguard Pro to remove the irritating pop up because on Android it blocks ads in apps as well as browsers.

S20 ultra user here and the ads are pissing me off.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
S20 ultra user here and the ads are pissing me off.

I'm hoping Adguard works on these ads when I plan to go Note 20+

If you're curious to see if it works, they have a free trial period to test on their site. I believe you have to download the version from their site and side-load because the Google Play version is browser only where the full version blocks ads in apps.

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-android/overview.html

It seriously is the best $25 I spent for the last 3 years of ad free headaches. I do have to say once in a rare while the Samsung Store would show an ad... I guess Samsung is always working as hard to get around ad blockers :-\ but for most part been affective.

If Adguard doesn't block them and they continue with this forcing ads on people, I don't know what I'll do.

One thing I have already done recently is go from 95% using Samsung Pay / 5% Google Pay first two years to almost 100% Google Pay (MST Chip was awesome in beginning but not really needed now). That and disabled Bixby from the beginning when they tried to force that on ya... don't give them any other business if they wanna play that way.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I was getting the notification ads until I turned them off but no matter how many times I unsubscribe, no matter what my settings are in their different apps, I still get emails from them. finally just started sending them directly to my spam folder via rule. Thought about finding one of their email addresses and forward the emails to them.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but I had to find it on the internet, and it was no simple... But I could manage it, and that's why I'm still using this phone.

I was referring to the notifications themselves. Not sure its applicable to your situation but I just disable for a specific app.Screenshot_20200701-132535.jpeg

Ace426

Jul 2, 2020
Visit site
Same as youtube you watching or listening to something and next thing is a add that you can't skip it is ridiculous or your watching/listerning to something and you get an add that you can skip or close which is followed by one you can't

Or the add blocks the website with no obvious way to get rid of it..

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Some folks just don't care about their phones. My friend currently uses an iPhone 4. He can't be helped, I've tried. Then there's people like many of us here, in the forums. Some people will take this personally.

Also, being on a budget. Not buying a flagship. These are not excuses to ruin people's experience with their device, that they paid for.

sleepnclass

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo