Verizon Nationwide low band 5G just got turned on today

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I cannot speak for all, but my comparison comes from when I had T-Mobile 5G and now Verizon. With T-Mo my phone never once switched to LTE, no matter where I was in or out of home and everywhere else. Today with Vzw it takes me to walk out the door for my phone to switch to 5G. But still shows LTE in sim status and on my speed tests.
Is that indoor outdoor thing true in every scenario? Surely the signal can penetrate glass.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes T-Mobile 5G has really been improving. I've always recieved it in my house from launch, but speeds are starting to increase. Was surprised to see it get above 200mbps which is pretty fast for most things I do on my phone.
Yeah. But you're not missing out on anything. It doesn't go inside my house. It only flips to 5G outside of my house, but on speedtest and sim status it still shows LTE while the 5G icon is on, as expected. At least with T-Mobile it now shows true 5G and I was covered everywhere, in and out of home.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Took out my SIM card for a different reason and when I put it back my phone booted up into 5G. I have not updated except that I am on Android 11 beta as of today. Also the 5G is working indoors but the sad part is it's slower than LTE like many have experienced with other carriers. So what's the point of having 5G when it's one quarter to one half the speed of what I get on LTE?

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Well maybe my lack of excitement over all this is ironically stopping the update cause I've checked 3 times and nothing so far.

pmjj

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I just got the update 10-14-20 in the morning. my indoor speed was 131 Mbps download and 8.75 upload/ when I went out on my balcony it went to 180 Mbps download and 25.7 upload

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I just got the update 10-14-20 in the morning. my indoor speed was 131 Mbps download and 8.75 upload/ when I went out on my balcony it went to 180 Mbps download and 25.7 upload
Where are you located? My 4g LTE speeds and now even 5g speeds have been pretty bad in PA/NJ. I get around 20mbps down and 15h20mbps up. So either there is a lot of network congestion or something else is wrong.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Where are you located? My 4g LTE speeds and now even 5g speeds have been pretty bad in PA/NJ. I get around 20mbps down and 15h20mbps up. So either there is a lot of network congestion or something else is wrong.
Could be those getting great speeds are getting the UltraWideBand 5G.

pmjj

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

I am in Stow, Ohio I just got 182Mps download in my parking lot, and 48.4 upload. I am sure some of it is congestion because everyone is trying it out at the same time. I am hopping it levels out as they get it more tuned up as they roll it out. hopefully we will get to 1gps lol

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I am in Stow, Ohio I just got 182Mps download in my parking lot, and 48.4 upload. I am sure some of it is congestion because everyone is trying it out at the same time. I am hopping it levels out as they get it more tuned up as they roll it out. hopefully we will get to 1gps lol

Is that with the 5g or the 5g UtraWideBand?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Still nothing for me, S20+ unlocked on Verizon Central Ohio area. I haven't paid extra so I'm due to get the crappy one anyway. If there's still the option afterwards and things are really slow for me I'll probably change from Global to LTE/whatever.

pmjj

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Is that with the 5g or the 5g UtraWideBand?

Looks like just 5g no UWB showing on notification bar... only 5G Showing there... about 35 miles away from UWB, it is in the Cleveland area, airport and stadium up there. everywhere else I believe is only 5G.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Still nothing for me, S20+ unlocked on Verizon Central Ohio area. I haven't paid extra so I'm due to get the crappy one anyway. If there's still the option afterwards and things are really slow for me I'll probably change from Global to LTE/whatever.
You have to wait for the update. Verizon branded models got it first. The only reason I have it on unlocked S20U us because I'm on Android 11 Beta. You can't switch off the 5G once you get it on Verizon.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the beta to and in a large city (Houston) which is supposedly filled with 5G, but have yet to see it change from lte once.
You have to wait for the update. Verizon branded models got it first. The only reason I have it on unlocked S20U us because I'm on Android 11 Beta. You can't switch off the 5G once you get it on Verizon.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the beta to and in a large city (Houston) which is supposedly filled with 5G, but have yet to see it change from lte once.
I noticed that mine changed after popping out and replacing the SIM to experiment with something else but that could have just been a coincidence.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yea I thought I would at least recieve it on my Fold 2 since it's Verizon branded but no luck. Idk why I'm worried since it's no real improvements, but can't help but feel left out lol.
I noticed that mine changed after popping out and replacing the SIM to experiment with something else but that could have just been a coincidence.