S20 FE 5G Update?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Any guesses when the S20 FE will get the Verizon update for 5G pushed? We also don't have the October security patch yet, so I assume that may be included. Will we have to wait until the beginning of November?

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
^people are optimistic that we'll get updates monthly. That hasn't been my experience with Samsung-but we will see. My s8 my had gotten 2 to 4 security updates per year. Sounds like Samsung has changed their policy though.

I'm doubtful anybody here has inside knowledge of a Verizon network update. I'm sure it won't be too long for you guys since the phone is advertised as 5G.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm doubtful anybody here has inside knowledge of a Verizon network update. I'm sure it won't be too long for you guys since the phone is advertised as 5G.

That's why I asked if anyone had a guess and not inside knowledge.

People who have been on a Sasmung handet on Verizon for a while might have experiences that are similar. In fact, someone did give us a heads up just the other day that the 5G update would be rolling out to the others in the S20 line the next day, and it did.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
That's why I asked if anyone had a guess and not inside knowledge.

People who have been on a Sasmung handet on Verizon for a while might have experiences that are similar. In fact, someone did give us a heads up just the other day that the 5G update would be rolling out to the others in the S20 line the next day, and it did.
T-mobile did 1 update, but not October patch. Nothing on unlocked.

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
These are the only ones that have been released so far for Vzw 5G. But you're not missing anything. 5G is really weak in house and away from towers. Mine hardly shows up and when it does, it shows as lte. Screenshot_20201016-011530_Twitter.jpeg

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
T-mobile did 1 update, but not October patch. Nothing on unlocked.

I received an update on October 1st (also without Oct security patch) on Verizon. That wasn't the 5G activation update, though. Is that what you mean for TMO?

The other S20s seem to have gotten the 5G update on VZW. This would be an update only for Verizon and maybe unlocked to access VZW nationwide 5G.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
These are the only ones that have been released so far for Vzw 5G. But you're not missing anything. 5G is really weak in house and away from towers. Mine hardly shows up and when it does, it shows as lte. View attachment 327853

I figured they might be adding some early bug fixes and the Oct security patch to the S20 FE. I'm glad to see the A71 and A51 on the list. Hopefully that suggests we'll get it sooner than later on the FE.

My expectations for speed aren't very high.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I received an update on October 1st (also without Oct security patch) on Verizon. That wasn't the 5G activation update, though. Is that what you mean for TMO?

The other S20s seem to have gotten the 5G update on VZW. This would be an update only for Verizon and maybe unlocked to access VZW nationwide 5G.
Nothing to with 5G. I crossed reference with unlocked and T-mobile. T-mobile shipped the phone out with old version G781USQU1ATI9 and update to G781USQU1ATIG.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
These are the only ones that have been released so far for Vzw 5G. But you're not missing anything. 5G is really weak in house and away from towers. Mine hardly shows up and when it does, it shows as lte. View attachment 327853
Didn't get it on my Note 20U yet but that might be because mine is Unlocked.

Actually I never got it on the S20U but I think Android 11 Beta may have included it somehow because I do have have 5G