Has Exynos 990 gotten any better?

D4v30

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Currently shopping for a new phone and have the opportunity to buy a S20+ for under $1000 (CAD). The problem is, it's the dreaded Exynos 990 version. I've been looking at reviews and tests of this SoC for the last two days and I really don't like what I've seen. BUT, the price is really good and I don't see any phone at this price that match the rest of the features of the S20+ (if you know of one please share).

My question is, has Samsung fixed, or at least lessened, the issues with the Exynos 990. From what I've read the majority of the issues are with the terrible Mongoose cores and the low performace is primarily due to the Mali gpu. I know you can't do a lot about the performace but have they managed to resolve the battery drain and heat issues at all?

Good battery life is a big deal for me, I can't stand phones that you have to constantly charge and just when you need them the battery is dead. I know the Snapdragon version gets decent battery life but I've seen some people saying they struggle to get more then a couple hours of screen on time on the Exynos version. Even the best comparisons I've seen put the Exynos 990 version about 15% behind the SNapdragon version which could translate to 1+ hours of screen time.

Most of these reports are months old and I haven't seen anything more recent then 2-3 months ago so I'm hoping maybe Samsung has fixed some issues with these phones.

What would you choose between S20+ (Exynos version) or Note 10+ (SD 855)? For me the biggest things are camera, display and battery life.

I would greatly appreciate any input you might have.

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Any reason why you wouldn't get the s20 FE? All around its a better package IMO and less expensive to boot. Not sure what you think is missing?

D4v30

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi BotanicalStig, I can actually get the Note10+ and the S20+ (Exynos) for a bit cheaper then the FE. At that price I don't think it competes with the top tier phones. Don't find the FE to be a very attractive looking phone, not crazy about the plastic back either. I don't think the cameras are quite as good as either of the other two. It's got the 865 over the 855 in the Note 10+ but that's really it's only benefit and I prefer the larger display of the other two.

Last edited:

D4v30

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
I would really appreciate any input you guys could give. We're without a phone right now and I'm stuck on what to get.

loganweaponx007

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
If I had to choose between the two phones you are looking at then definitely going with the Note 10+. That Exynos is a piece of garbage. They can't fix it through software. Slower and battery hungry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez