Thinking of leaving Samsung S21 Ultra for iPhone 13 Pro Max...

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
2 things i like to see back in the future , IR blaster and led notification light

Edit: #3 replaceable battery maybe like lg 5 did it
I for one would love an IR blaster rather on the phone or watch. Was super mad when they ditch it saying that it wasn't a frequently used feature. I know that was a lie . Would love a notification light too, but don't know where they'd put it. Guessing that's why they gave us edge lighting which I like and aod although I don't use seeing that I'm always wearing a watch.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
First let me say every has their opinion and preferences and they're entitle to have them. I like thick Carmel shakes with strawberries. Some folks like cottage cheese . None the less you can not deny that Samsung Ultra 21 has more features to also include wires budds... That fit..... A coworker shared with me something she read "IPhone are status symbols" I will add with no usefulness. Like subarus owners with bike racks and no bike. I mean you can do a side by side comparison... Check Sakitech you YouTube his channel he recently did a comparison
The status symbol statement is true. Anyone I talk to about why they won't fully commit the truth comes out that they view it as a status symbol(which I understood with the At&t exclusive) but certainly not present day. One thing can't be denied is they're the king of marketing. They know the appeal there phones have and fully market them in the media. As long as Apple itself is seen superior to the masses whatever they release will be a hit even if they change nothing at all lol. Not saying that they haven't changed anything just making a statement.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I for one would love an IR blaster rather on the phone or watch. Was super mad when they ditch it saying that it wasn't a frequently used feature. I know that was a lie . Would love a notification light too, but don't know where they'd put it. Guessing that's why they gave us edge lighting which I like and aod although I don't use seeing that I'm always wearing a watch.
You see some of those Chinese phones they got IR and notification light and tons of other features like that just shoes me they wanted to take it out not because they couldn't fit it

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
You see some of those Chinese phones they got IR and notification light and tons of other features like that just shoes me they wanted to take it out not because they couldn't fit it
The sad thing is they've learn that they can remove features to reduce cost of the phone and still sale a good amount. Seeing that galaxy's have cost more than iPhones to build for years Samsung has been looking to reduce cost and increase profits. Now that they're able to do that I don't see them going back. I really hope it doesn't stop them from providing innovative new features to there phones which I don't see happening, but I guess you never know.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My TV doesn't even use IR other than for the power button... Which I don't use because it's turned on via assistant routines. Get with the times guys lol.

Seriously though, I honestly don't think it was a widely used feature. I'd bet very good money only a fraction of people even set it up... And of those an even tinier fraction would have continued using it once they discovered how awful an experience controlling a TV with a touch screen is.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
2 things i like to see back in the future , IR blaster and led notification light

Edit: #3 replaceable battery maybe like lg 5 did it

I had an IR blaster on a couple of HTC models. I think I set it up once and never thought about it again.

I do miss the replaceable battery but at the same time there are some trade offs about that I won't miss. I won't miss carrying extra batteries to get through a day or a trip. I enjoy the IP rating that not being able to easily open the phone provides.

As for the notification LED I find the accessibility feature of using the flash a suitable replacement, for me.

With all things being equal the one feature I miss and would like to see come back is MST for payments. I don't know how much space that took up or how much it cost to add to a device but that was in my top 5 features.

And if I could steal a feature from iPhone...? Either Face ID or iMessages. I'm not big on facial recognition and I don't know anything outside of conversation about iMessages but those are usually the top features sited by iPhone users for why they wouldn't leave iPhone. Speaking of facial recognition, I know this isn't the same, but I was recently going though some pics in my Google account and found that it was able to guess/predict/figure out who was who even with masks on. Not under the nose on but full lower face covered on and was just shocked. So all of this time thinking that masks could lead to something, you know what I mean, and there's software that could possibly still recognize you. SMH.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The sad thing is they've learn that they can remove features to reduce cost of the phone and still sale a good amount. Seeing that galaxy's have cost more than iPhones to build for years Samsung has been looking to reduce cost and increase profits. Now that they're able to do that I don't see them going back. I really hope it doesn't stop them from providing innovative new features to there phones which I don't see happening, but I guess you never know.
Yeah agree ..definitely not holding my breath and accepted the trend

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had an IR blaster on a couple of HTC models. I think I set it up once and never thought about it again.

I do miss the replaceable battery but at the same time there are some trade offs about that I won't miss. I won't miss carrying extra batteries to get through a day or a trip. I enjoy the IP rating that not being able to easily open the phone provides.

As for the notification LED I find the accessibility feature of using the flash a suitable replacement, for me.

With all things being equal the one feature I miss and would like to see come back is MST for payments. I don't know how much space that took up or how much it cost to add to a device but that was in my top 5 features.

And if I could steal a feature from iPhone...? Either Face ID or iMessages. I'm not big on facial recognition and I don't know anything outside of conversation about iMessages but those are usually the top features sited by iPhone users for why they wouldn't leave iPhone.
Also most are invested in Apple ecosystem so it's harder to shift even if you wanted to .

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
My TV doesn't even use IR other than for the power button... Which I don't use because it's turned on via assistant routines. Get with the times guys lol.

Seriously though, I honestly don't think it was a widely used feature. I'd bet very good money only a fraction of people even set it up... And of those an even tinier fraction would have continued using it once they discovered how awful an experience controlling a TV with a touch screen is.
You realize IR is more than your TV right? Can control stereo, garage etc. It's a really useful feature not to mention how easy it is to program to anything using IR. Use to love playing with the TV's at the bar/restaurant have people going crazy like what's happening

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That's the hook right there. Samsung has me heavily in their ecosystem and with the Microsoft integration and smart tags I'm only going deeper lol.

Ecosystem can be a big anchor, no doubt. Either flagship will offer a fantastic -- if somewhat different -- experience. And this year Pixel 6 Pro could very much truly be in the competitive mix, with it finally bringing in real flagship specs in terms of RAM, storage, camera sensors, general features... with the only real question being, how good - or bad - will the processor be. I'm mostly a camera person, so leaning that way since the other pixels have remained very competitive for what I do, which is mostly point-and-shoot, and I have to think that with a 4-year-newer main sensor that will improve a great deal. I don't do a lot of video, but if the murmurs are to be believed it might not just be mediocre midrange performance, but could equal current flagships in that respect or possibly pull off what Pixel did for still images when the first Pixel released (though more for average consumers than for people who actually know how to wring the best performance out when more advanced settings are available.

I'm far too deep in Android to switch, though I certainly respect the iPhones, with plenty of secondhand experience as literally every other person in my office uses one. Just waiting to see final specs, price on the new Samsung and Pixel crop to find out which rabbithole I'm diving into.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You realize IR is more than your TV right? Can control stereo, garage etc. It's a really useful feature not to mention how easy it is to program to anything using IR. Use to love playing with the TV's at the bar/restaurant have people going crazy like what's happening

Well, I don't have a garage, but if I did it wouldn't still be IR, and my sound system is a Sonos setup that is actually connected to my TV... I can assure you I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that had a TV hahaha.

But like I say, the reason it died isn't because of tech heavy people like me, it's because no one used it... It's a bad experience.

Honestly though, IR? It's 2021.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
When I read the statement, "iPhone are are status symbols..." I'm like...for who? ...and iPhone? An iPhone is not a Bentley. To me, a Bentley is a status symbol. I think many would agree. I love iPhones. The ecosystem is...admirable but every single time I use an iPhone for any amount of time I come away...bored. Bored to tears. No, a phone is not supposed to excite me. At all. However, using an android is more engaging for me. So I end up going back and forth.

As to why manufacturers remove features? Simple. No rocket science here. Money. The less they give for the same dollar amount the more profit they make. Let's not pretend it's anything other than that because logic dictates that it's not.

Apple called it courage. Straight-faced too. There's someone's status symbol. Lol. Next paper clips will be a status symbol. Mobile phones are pretty much ubiquitous.

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
When I read the statement, "iPhone are are staus symbols..." I'm like...for who? ...and iPhone? An iPhone is not a Bentley. To me, a Bentley is a status symbol. I think many would agree. I love iPhones. The ecosystem is...admirable but every single time I use an iPhone for any amount of time I come away...bored. Bored to tears. No, a phone is not supposed to excite me. At all. However, using an android is more engaging for me. So I end up going back and forth.

As to why manufacturers remove features? Simple. No rocket science here. Money. The less they give for the same dollar amount the more profit they make. Let's not pretend it's anything other than that because logic dictates that it's not.

Apple called it courage. Straight-faced too. There's someone's status symbol. Lol. Next paper clips will be a status symbol. Mobile phones are pretty much ubiquitous.

Yeah, any chump with a mediocre credit rating can go into a carrier store and come out with an iPhone, or an S21 for that matter. I'm aware I'm biased, but to me it's the opposite of a status symbol... I see an iPhone and think "ya basic!".

I don't agree, though everything comes down to money, that it's as simple as "cut features, cut costs", it's far more complicated than that.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, any chump with a mediocre credit rating can go into a carrier store and come out with an iPhone, or an S21 for that matter. I'm aware I'm biased, but to me it's the opposite of a status symbol... I see an iPhone and think "ya basic!".

I don't agree, though everything comes down to money, that it's as simple as "cut features, cut costs", it's far more complicated than that.
Interesting. Okay, so Apple removed the headphone jack because they were courageous? They removed the charger block and headphones because they're concerned about e-waste? Yes, we can kinda deduct that Samsung did the same thing because Apple did (or, at least, that's my perspective). Perhaps I'm too cynical...but I feel like maybe I'm not.

Anywho, it's an engaging topic so it's all good.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Okay, so Apple removed the headphone jack because they were courageous? They removed the charger block and headphones because they're concerned about e-waste? Yes, we can kinda deduct that Samsung did the same thing because Apple did (or, at least, that's my perspective). Perhaps I'm too cynical...but I feel like maybe I'm not.

Anywho, it's an engaging topic so it's all good.

I'm at least as cynical as you... As I said, it's just not that simple. Although if you think Apple is courageous, that's on you.

Apple didn't remove the headphone jack to save money. They also didn't remove the headphones from the box to save money, or the environment. The cost of these things is negligible.

They removed them... Wait for it... To sell airpods! You can't upsell something that's free.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, I don't have a garage, but if I did it wouldn't still be IR, and my sound system is a Sonos setup that is actually connected to my TV... I can assure you I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that had a TV hahaha.

But like I say, the reason it died isn't because of tech heavy people like me, it's because no one used it... It's a bad experience.

Honestly though, IR? It's 2021.
"Honestly though, IR? It's 2021"

you think 2021 is 2080
Not crazy amount in phone world changed from 2016 to 2021 we still have slabs only bump phone performance moving camera arrangement around in the back of the phone lol.
We still have light bulbs in 2021
Sockets and switches for appliances
No cars driving in the sky yet and we still have gasoline cars for some time to name a few .

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm at least as cynical as you... As I said, it's just not that simple. Although if you think Apple is courageous, that's on you.

Apple didn't remove the headphone jack to save money. They also didn't remove the headphones from the box to save money, or the environment. The cost of these things is negligible.

They removed them... Wait for it... To sell airpods! You can't upsell something that's free.
I can understand that perspective. I doubt I would ever invest in Airpods (though I am definitely an audiophile) or Galaxy Buds but I can imagine many do.