S22 Ultra camera?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
More rumors to keep everyone's interest.
Uk03LDg.gif

New rumor suggests Galaxy S22 Ultra camera could be a gamechanger

https://www.phonearena.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s22-ultra-camera-specs-super-clear-lens_id138252

This is AMAZING news!

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
New rumor suggests Galaxy S22 Ultra camera could be a gamechanger
That strikes me as a minor improvement rather than a "gamechanger". I rarely see lens flare in my photos anyway (and when I do, it often looks kind of pretty). If Samsung has to tout reduced lens flare as the biggest camera improvement for the S22 Ultra, that's a disappointment.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
That strikes me as a minor improvement rather than a "gamechanger". I rarely see lens flare in my photos anyway (and when I do, it often looks kind of pretty). If Samsung has to tout reduced lens flare as the biggest camera improvement for the S22 Ultra, that's a disappointment.
I agree Gary. I'm a Samsung fan so I'm not trying to be critical, but I can't help being skeptical. Lens flare has never been a problem for me on any phone or DSLR. They need to extract fine detail like the Pixel series can. If they already possessed this technology, they could have updated the camera app in the S21 and earlier models. I take very few low-light night shots and in fact, my S21 Ultra does just fine. All I want is the same level of detail as my P6P and 4XL, especially with moving subjects. I might get one, but will wait this one out until after release. So yes, take all the marketing hype with a grain of salt and let's see what evolves.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

That was my thoughts too. I have had every Samsung flagship phone for the last 5 years. I do not ever recall lens flare as a problem. But now shutter speed and slow image processing has always been a problem. Getting blurry picts of kids and pets has always been a problem.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Hmm, I do see your point. Image processing has always been my gripe with Samsung cameras -- though I find that the Note line does do a better job of that.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It won't be able to completely remove lens flare and glare from a 'super clear' lens. That's not possible - that's just how light reacts to glass. Even with professional DSLR lenses that cost thousands of dollars still get lens flare and they have the highest quality glass you can get in a camera, so there's no way Samsung somehow magically got some lens to remove it. The reduction of glare/lens flare would have to be done digitally, so I'm guessing Samsung have just tried to improve their flare algorithms, and are using the 'super clear' lens as a marketing tool to try to make the camera sound better. Best way to remove lens flare is to take photos with the sun behind you, don't shoot images directly into the sun or where the sun is visible.

Samsung still have some serious issues they need to fix with the camera though:

- Slow shutter speeds
- Poor indoor/lower light performance (without some night mode turned on)
- Hair/fur detection can get really wonky sometimes and blurred out
- Oversaturation of colours, overexposure of people's faces

If they can tone tweak those things then I think it'd be an outstanding camera.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree Gary. I'm a Samsung fan so I'm not trying to be critical, but I can't help being skeptical. Lens flare has never been a problem for me on any phone or DSLR. They need to extract fine detail like the Pixel series can. If they already possessed this technology, they could have updated the camera app in the S21 and earlier models. I take very few low-light night shots and in fact, my S21 Ultra does just fine. All I want is the same level of detail as my P6P and 4XL, especially with moving subjects. I might get one, but will wait this one out until after release. So yes, take all the marketing hype with a grain of salt and let's see what evolves.
That was my thoughts too. I have had every Samsung flagship phone for the last 5 years. I do not ever recall lens flare as a problem. But now shutter speed and slow image processing has always been a problem. Getting blurry picts of kids and pets has always been a problem.
I dont remember lens flare also on my Samsung devices

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
It could, but cameras specs might have something to do with the better night vision. So far, no conclusive specs from Samsung on the S22's cameras such as aperture, sensor size, etc. If identical, so long as the chip could handle the new software specs (which most likely it could) then I would hope they would pass it along.
We should know by noon on Wednesday what the exact specs will be on the camera modules.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

That's just an assumption. But they look decent for a file that has been compressed for the display on the internet. I'm also viewing on my older 1920x1080 laptop. ( My Higher res laptop is upside down on a desk with the guts laying round it waiting for my new keyboard.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa