donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So, just to be clear... we don't need GPay anymore and can just uninstall GPay and just install Google Wallet and it will work exactly like GPay does? Should I install Wallet first before uninstalling GPay or it doesn't matter?

If that is the case, Google sucks he way they replace apps... Just earlier in the year or last year we have Google Pay and then they release GPay that you can have side by side and confused me just like now and I just ignored GPay cause everything was working just fine and then forced to move to GPay. Now they have Google Wallet and run it alongside GPay.

If you're going to replace one app with another, then just replace it when you are ready. sheesh.

To avoid any confusion and since Google Wallet is now the Google defacto Google pay app I would just install Wallet and after uninstall the other two.
With Google Pay still installed I installed Wallet and all my cards were already in there and Wallet was ready to go. No point in having both so Pay was uninstalled.
My wife's Pixel 6a already had Wallet installed. Obviously that is the pay app Google is switching to.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
So, just to be clear... we don't need GPay anymore and can just uninstall GPay and just install Google Wallet and it will work exactly like GPay does? Should I install Wallet first before uninstalling GPay or it doesn't matter?

If that is the case, Google sucks he way they replace apps... Just earlier in the year or last year we have Google Pay and then they release GPay that you can have side by side and confused me just like now and I just ignored GPay cause everything was working just fine and then forced to move to GPay. Now they have Google Wallet and run it alongside GPay.

If you're going to replace one app with another, then just replace it when you are ready. sheesh.
You can continue using Pay and not install Wallet if you want. If you want to use Wallet install first, and then uninstall Pay. I do believe Google will reduce the functions of Pay down to only to be able to send money between contacts. Since my wife's Pixel 6a came with Wallet installed I decided to install it as well. Besides the Pay icon on the lock screen was changed to the Wallet icon before I installed Wallet. I took that as a hint.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I think I am just gonna keep using Pay because I can't think of anything I need Wallet for. Just seems if they go the same path they did with Pay, they are just going to eventually kill Pay and force people to move to Wallet so just wonderind if I should just move now. But I guess I'll just wait until they force us to move lol. Thanks.

You can continue using Pay and not install Wallet if you want. If you want to use Wallet install first, and then uninstall Pay. I do believe Google will reduce the functions of Pay down to only to be able to send money between contacts. Since my wife's Pixel 6a came with Wallet installed I decided to install it as well. Besides the Pay icon on the lock screen was changed to the Wallet icon before I installed Wallet. I took that as a hint.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, aha. It looks like GPay offers a few more features that wallet does not. Hmmm, it seems like it would be better to use GPay. At least until they integrate the two to offer the same features.Screenshot_20220809-144407_Chrome.jpg

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I think I am just gonna keep using Pay because I can't think of anything I need Wallet for. Just seems if they go the same path they did with Pay, they are just going to eventually kill Pay and force people to move to Wallet so just wonderind if I should just move now. But I guess I'll just wait until they force us to move lol. Thanks.

I think it will be around a year before you are forced to switch. That is what happened the last time when the google pay app was replaced by the gpay app.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually it looks like Wallet has more storage features than Pay does. So it depends on what features are important to you.
Yes, you are right. It looks like GPay incorporates Wallet anyway. When I loaded my cards into GPay then tested out the app, it automatically uses Wallet to do the transaction. They need to just keep it all in one app.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
It looks like I was confusing Samsung Wallet and Google Wallet.

Samsung Wallet replaces Samsung Pay. I stopped using Samsung Pay when I got the Galaxy Watch 4. Samsung took away their rewards, so I figured I would move back to Google's solution.

It has been great, and I even tested the 1 card that was giving me issues yesterday, and it worked.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Wallet never replaced GPay even with updates on my Pixel 6 Pro running A13Beta. I had to install Wallet from the Play Store. Wallet and Pay did coexist until I uninstalled Pay. The Wallet icon did replace the Pay icon on my lock screen before I installed Wallet.

I had my "Pays" mixed up lol, it was actually Google Pay (not GPay) that was getting the "old app updated" messages until the updates quit. Now I get Google Wallet updates instead, even though I never installed Wallet. I'm assuming one of the last Google Pay updates changed the name and function to Google Wallet. I've never opened either app, in fact I haven't even looked at them in my app drawer. I'm guessing the Google Pay app icon has been replaced by the Wallet icon.

I also wonder what the difference was between Google Pay and GPay?

Edit: It looks like some of my questions were answered above... but I agree Google could of made this whole thing less confusing ;)

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Google seem to be so awful at almost everything... They need to get their stuff together, this thread is exactly why people use iPhones in a nutshell.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Google seem to be so awful at almost everything... They need to get their stuff together, this thread is exactly why people use iPhones in a nutshell.
Naw i disagree. It would take a lot more than this situation to make me want to move to an EYEPHONE. Lol

I do agree that the rollout for Google Wallet was confusing. I like how Samsung just sent out one update to change Samsung Pay to Samsung Wallet.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Naw i disagree. It would take a lot more than this situation to make me want to move to an EYEPHONE. Lol

I do agree that the rollout for Google Wallet was confusing. I like how Samsung just sent out one update to change Samsung Pay to Samsung Wallet.
I agree. Sometimes it's not clear what is behind some of the decisions Google makes but in the end it all seems to work out....one way or another.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I'm not just talking about this one thing though... it's always the same with everything they do.

Look at the mess with messages... or is it called chat? or hangouts... maybe it's allo, I'm not sure... Whatever it is, I know that RCS works about half of the time, if you're lucky.

And this is what, the third or fourth time we've gone through this furore with android pay?