Trade In Values

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
The usual trend is that after a new phone has been out for a month, Samsung increases trade-in credit but eliminates the free memory upgrade and the $150 registration/pre-order credit (which, if you like, you can use to buy accessories that you immediately sell unopened). Especially if you want the extra storage & RAM, it's still cheaper to buy at the outset--plus, you get an extra month of the new phone that way.

On the other hand, the month-later deal is also pretty good.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I just put a order together duplicating my original order. Top picture is today, bottom is my pre-order. Both orders have the ear buds pro 2 added.

They are giving $200 more now for the S22U , but I was still $225 cheaper on preorder. $180 for the memory upgrade and the pre-order reserve discount. Not too mention I'm getting $98 sent to me next month for the promo 15% ratuken deal.

With Samsung you always have to look at the whole picture. If the trade in amounts go up, something else changed in pricing, the end result usually isn't cheaper, it's the same or more.
5e00d86a484c0344dfc8c3d349a795c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Ratuken and free memory upgrade plus accessory credit we got a good deal. I love this phone and will keep it at least 2 years.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
This actually worked out better for me, so I RE-pulled the trigger yesterday. Insert eye roll.

I got the 256gb, but I've only used 45% of the 256 I have in my S22U. 512 was overkill for me. I got $100 accessory credit, and Rakuten was 10% yesterday. I paid $520. Less once I get my cash back.

The only thing I feel I'm missing is the graphite color. I used the credit for a green sview wallet and black leather case. I'm happy now that I got my $700 for the S22U.

When it's all said and done, the preorder was probably better overall for most. I "lost" $50 in accessory credit and 5% from Rakuten. However, I was theoretically paying an extra $200(ish) for storage I'll never use AND letting my beloved go for $500.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
This actually worked out better for me, so I RE-pulled the trigger yesterday. Insert eye roll.

I got the 256gb, but I've only used 45% of the 256 I have in my S22U. 512 was overkill for me. I got $100 accessory credit, and Rakuten was 10% yesterday. I paid $520. Less once I get my cash back.

The only thing I feel I'm missing is the graphite color. I used the credit for a green sview wallet and black leather case. I'm happy now that I got my $700 for the S22U.

When it's all said and done, the preorder was probably better overall for most. I "lost" $50 in accessory credit and 5% from Rakuten. However, I was theoretically paying an extra $200(ish) for storage I'll never use AND letting my beloved go for $500.
Right, but the point of this post was trade in value went way up over preorder. At first glance they did, but that was deceiving. I also got the buds pro 2 for $615. I'll be getting $98 back from ratuken also.

You paid $85 more for less RAM and less storage and didn't get the $200+ buds pro 2. Even if you don't need the memory, future proofing for less or same amount of money is of value. In the end the $200 more for trade in isn't really there, it's a mind game to make a person think they got more for the trade in.

For buying today you did ok though. Samsung changes the pricing of phones with Mark Downs, higher trade in amounts, free memory upgrades, and such but the end price comes out about the same. The pre-order pricing generally usually is the best pricing for awhile.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I bought a pixel 4a on Swappa for $180 when I sent my Fold 3 to Samsung for a screen repair. Traded it in for the S23 Ultra and Verizon gave me $800 for it

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Right, but the point of this post was trade in value went way up over preorder. At first glance they did, but that was deceiving. I also got the buds pro 2 for $615. I'll be getting $98 back from ratuken also.

You paid $85 more for less RAM and less storage and didn't get the $200+ buds pro 2. Even if you don't need the memory, future proofing for less or same amount of money is of value. In the end the $200 more for trade in isn't really there, it's a mind game to make a person think they got more for the trade in.

For buying today you did ok though. Samsung changes the pricing of phones with Mark Downs, higher trade in amounts, free memory upgrades, and such but the end price comes out about the same. The pre-order pricing generally usually is the best pricing for awhile.

Did you NEED the Buds though? Quite frankly, I have enough Buds, wireless chargers, and the cases are overpriced and there are better 3rd party ones, don't need a watch, don't need a wall charger. Do i want 500 trade in and 150 in accessories i don't need or want? or do i want 700 trade in? Give me the 700 trade in plain and simple. I never get close to 256 so no big deal there. Plus the extra storage does nothing for the next trade in price.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

You're right, and I get it. But, it all comes down to my personal bottom line and use. It's wasted storage and I use the device for a year. I don't need chargers, buds, etc. I have no desire to put the time and energy into selling. As I see it, I'm simply paying for what I use right now. In the end, I got the phone I wanted and 2 cases I'll actually use for under $500 after the cash back.

We're all winning, imo. We just took different paths. 😉

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely. Samsungs pricing is kind of a gimmick IMO. It's usually around the same in the end, they just change things around. Some like seeing larger trade IN values, some like seeing freebies, but in the end it's all about the same. The pre-order usually gets a little extra is all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress