Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini unexplicable Battery drain

Endearing Joshent

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
We have the same problem. I guess, this kind of thing usually happens not only on galaxy phones but to others as well. As on my part, I bought my new battery which is a compatible to all galaxy phones. I believe you can buy batteries via online shopping. There are great deals out there. As for you, maybe you need to buy new.

LynB01

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Looks although it is a problem with the latest update - my s3mini is doing the same thing. I am due for a phone upgrade but wasn't going to bother, maybe I should now?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Looks although it is a problem with the latest update - my s3mini is doing the same thing.
It's certainly possible that the latest OS update has caused some problems. It's equally possible that you haven't taken the common steps to resolve such problems after an OTA:
- boot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache
- boot into Recovery mode and perform a Factory Reset
- reload the stock firmware from scratch
I am due for a phone upgrade but wasn't going to bother, maybe I should now?
I would try the three above suggestions before considering a phone upgrade. If you do decide on an upgrade here's a few things to note:
- you bought a rather underpowered/mid-range phone: perhaps you should consider a phone with better specs next time
- although there are several very nice phones available right now (LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC M8 [and the Moto X or Moto G are still great if you want to purchase off-contract rather than using your upgrade]) if you can wait another month or so there may be some new phones released (Nexus 6? Moto X+1?) that will be worth the wait

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

SharkMachine

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
From my experience and after reading this thread I am pretty sure that there is two kinds of problems. One being in OS update and one being in your battery as juandariorodas experienced. I have had my Samsung Galaxy S3 mini now bit over one and half a year and I have experienced same problems than juandariorodas. Battery basically lives about 20 minutes for example, watching youtube video. In charger it will last as long as the socket is giving power. Only difference with juandariorodas is that it drains the battery while sleep. Like it can go from 70% in ten to 30 minutes to 4%. After getting to 4% it will stay there as it would do normally when the battery is okay. And it will also last that long as normally. I know it cause sides of my battery are indirect. It spins on the table and the back cover doesn't close properly. I have now experienced this twice first time being in last December and now 9-10 months after I bought my first replacement battery I started to happen again. I have also experienced some problems earlier this year with the battery not even loading while in charger but after testing another charger I found out that the problem was in the charger. At sometime I also experienced my battery to drain from 100% to 1% in like under 30 minutes, when I was using it to watch videos or play games, but the last 1% could last up to one and half our. I can't remember did this happen after or before I had bought my first battery. The problem either went away because I bought a new battery or it just was a bug in OS or for some weird reason it just went away but I haven't experienced it after that one time. Besides that thing I have only come up against this swelling battery problem. My friend had the same problem as I although he had one and half a year older phone than I had. I can't remember what Samsung model it was. Also another of my friend experienced the problem with his Samsung Galagxy s5 or s4. I have to say also that me and especially my friend with s4/5 uses our phones a lot mainly to watch videos from youtube. I about two and he about three hour per day. And it is maybe stupid to say that when you use your phone a lot you have to charge is a lot too. That can also cause some problems. I would like to hear how much you use your phone daily if you have the swelling battery problem.
My tips are that if your battery doesn't spin on table you should check known bugs in the your current OS, try these tips about reseting your phone or check that the problem isn't in your charger. If you don't find any answers from those operations try a new battery. If new battery doesn't help either buy a new phone. From my experience I will never ever again buy a phone that is as weak as S3 mini and I am currently waiting Samsungs and other mobile companies to bring their new best phones to the markets and deciding my new phone after that.

I hoped that this helped someone and thanks for getting me on the anroid community.
EDIT: I have to say after seeing Iphone 6's specs, I know that the apple isn't still for me.

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Peace guys,

Was suffering from the same problem, phone kept dying - eventually, it got really bad, rang o2 and they said it was not a battery issue but a software one, and said they would need to send the phone off, which as a result would reset everything and would take about a week. I had no success with Samsung Kies. Eventually, after using one of my wife's old phones for two months, I decided to do some research on the internet, and lo and behold - I looked at my battery and it wouldn't fit back into my phone because it was so fat, despite pushing it in. Finally, I purchased another battery, and phone came on after two months. I have had no problems (Alhamdulillah) for one month now.

Tip: Don't leave your phone on charge over night as apparently, this phone (maybe others) can get over-charged and as a result battery becomes faulty. Thus, charge it to perhaps 95% and take it off charge.

Peace guys

[Ps - research the true Islam for true satisfaction]

questyleo

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
My experience with S3Mini is exactly identical-even when the charge shows 70%,the phone crashes down inexplicably,either while talking or taking pictures.It is impossible to restart the phone until and unless it is connected to a AC Power Source. Immediately on connection the charge position shows what it was before the crash!
I feel this may have something to do with the kernel,not necessarily with battery.
By the way what is the average life of battery in S3Mini before it is to be replaced?

Questyleo

MG-J

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I have the same problem Questyleo.
Have just sent my phone (samsung galaxy s3 mini) off to vodafone who state that it is the battery at fault, somehow not under warranty as classed by an accessory by Samsung (don't get me started!). Extremely irritating.

My question is - if I'm going to buy a new battery I don't want to spend a lot, I'm maybe 6 months from upgrade, can anyone tell me if I need a 4 pin connector or 3 pin connector? Ebay appears to sell both (as genuine samsung batteries for S3 mini).

Many thanks, really appreciate the help.

DDoyleReynolds

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
One issue I saw was resolved in turning off the Sync with the pre-installed Email app. One fellow found his phone, if he was lucky, was dead within 3 hours. My daughters phone can die within 20 minutes. All this began with a Jellybean auto update apparently. Gee thanks. And no way, as with Windows, to uninstall an update. I even Restored her phone to factory setting. No joy. We shall see if turning off Sync worked.

Poorme

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I have owned two Samsung androids. The first was a GT-S7560M. It chewed through battery like crazy. I bought it at The Source and the carrier is Virgin Mobile. Neither of these companies was willing to address the problem. The Source said that since the phone was brand new, the battery was too. Consequently it could not be a problem with the battery. Even though I argued that a brand new battery could be faulty they refused to replace it. So much for their warranty!
After putting up with this for a year I bought a replacement battery ( cheap online ) The phone continued to use excessive power.
I decided to upgrade to the next level Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. For the first year all went well. No fast power drains even though I installed all the same apps as before. Year two the battery began to drain quickly. I replaced the battery. Quick drain continued. I complained to the battery supplier who immediately sent me a new battery. Quick drain still continues. This is what brought me to this forum.
I did a factory reset, uninstalled all apps that I would never use. Disabled any unessential apps. I did this whole thing twice in the last two weeks The problem persists.
NOTE: I did not use the online cloud storage to backup my phone. I copied everything onto my external hard drive and reinstalled only my contacts list hoping that if there was any problem with a particular app or two that the problem would be solved.

An idea entered my mind:
Back to my first phone for a minute. I still have it. The SIM card has been deactivated. I use it for the radio only. It no longer chews through battery power. I leave the radio on all night while I sleep and at most it uses 20% of the battery charge.

Possible conclusion is that there is a conspiracy by the service providers to somehow drain power on older phones. After all there is no percentage in having people keep their phones longer than a year or two.

By the way both of my phones were " free" That's a rather slimy marketing tool that sales outlets use to suck people in. I did not sign into any long term contracts. The catch is that the service provider applies a tiny amount ( monthly payment ) onto your bill every month.
You can cancel your service at any time. All you have to do is pay the remaining amount of the "free"" purchase value of your the phone. In my case the " free" phone was valued at $250.00 Supposedly this will be paid off in two years. My bill is $40.00 per month so theoretically they apply $10.42 to the purchase of the "free" phone. However at the end of two years if I stay with Virgin my "plan" will not decrease by $10.42. Instead it will stay the same even if I don't upgrade to a new phone.
See what I mean by slimy?

At the end of year one I get a very nice offer from Virgin Mobile to upgrade my phone for "free" LOL

In conclusion I will hold to my theory that the service providers are somehow behind severe power drain of our batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab07