USB audio?

DanBa

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S3 & Behringer UCA202:
Android phones and USB DACs
NwAvGuy: Behringer UCA202 Review

Samsung Galaxy S3 > digital audio stream >> USB OTG cable (Micro-A plug inserted in the S III) >> USB DAC/amp Behringer UCA202 >> headphones

A1ecCcYCEAAqwRd.jpg

293408_4217301504386_1821612623_n.jpg

DanBa

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

DanBa

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S III & Objective DAC:
NwAvGuy: ODAC May Update
NwAvGuy: ODAC Released

stock Galaxy S III > digital audio stream >> ODAC (i.e. Epiphany Acoustics E-DAC) >> Neco V3

245ff523_f11.jpeg

002c987f_biais11.jpeg

a129ab36_haut11.jpeg

ODAC:
Epiphany Acoustics E-DAC 24-bit USB DAC Review | AVForums.com - UK Online
Brief Odac impressions

Neco V3:
NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
new V3 DUAL AMP portable headphone amplifier | eBay

ODAC + Neco V3:
"It is by far the best usb dac i have ever owned. No thoughts of bothering to look for an upgrade. At my age i am sure it will see me out.
Using it with a Neco Soundlab V3 and Grado SR-325is's.Nirvana at last...."
Epiphany Acoustics E-DAC Review Thread

"ODAC + NECO V.3 + Sennheiser HD580 = A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN.
I can't tell you how beautiful this rig sounds. We all know how well the HD580/600 scales with better sources and amps.. but synergy is often undervalued. The ODAC is beautifully resolving and clean.. but the Neco really steals the show, IMO."

"It's downright disturbing how incredible this combo sounds with the HE-500. In fact, it should probably be illegal (**looks at Arizona**).
When driving the HE-500. I like this combo more than the O2."

DanBa

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
VentureCraft sees potential in Android & standard USB audio.
VentureCraft delays the release date of its latest headphone amplifier Go-Dap X in order to modify it so that it can interwork with the Samsung Galaxy S3.

"Go-Dap X releasing date in stores will be on Sep. 25th due to this Galaxy S3 modification."
Venturecraft Inc. | HOME

stock Samsung Galaxy S3 > digital audio stream >> short USB OTG cable from VentureCraft >> Go-Dap X USB DAC/amp >> headphones

LL

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL

DanBa

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

DanBa

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
AudioQuest Bumblebee Android DAC:
AUDIOQUEST BUMBLEBEE || AVLAND UK information, pictures & spec for the

500x1000px-LL-e8c7377d_1012dragon.promo_.jpeg

500x1000px-LL-0e45061f_1012dragon.2.jpeg

"Designed specifically for Android devices
24-bit ESS Sabre conversion chip
Supports all music files including 24-bit/192kHz lossless
Drives headphones directly with 3.5mm mini-jack output
Fixed or Variable output modes
Asynchronous transfer for accurate digital timing
64-position (computer-controlled) analog volume control
Isolated dual master clocks
Colour changing LED to indicate source sample rate"

I am wondering if the AudioQuest Bumblebee Android DAC is a standard self-powered USB DAC or an Android-specific USB DAC.

The AudioQuest Bumblebee should be likely an AudioQuest DragonFly with built-in rechargeable battery, because it "supports all music files including 24-bit/192kHz lossless".
AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
AudioQuest DragonFly USB D/A converter | Stereophile.com

And an Android-specific USB DAC can support only 16-bit/44.1kHz:
Android Open Accessory Protocol 2.0 | Android Developers

If the AudioQuest Bumblebee is a standard USB DAC, while using with a PC or a Mac, the sound quality of the AudioQuest Bumblebee should be superior to the sound quality of the AudioQuest DragonFly thanks to a clean battery power.

DanBa

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Custom Stoner Acoustics UD100 based on 24-bit ESS Sabre conversion chip:
Tiny DAC, Big Sound ? Impression of Stoner Acoustics UD100 vs. ODAC
Stoner Acoustics

Samsung Galaxy S3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> custom UD100 cable >> amp >> headphones

LL.jpg

500x1000px-LL-af355c96_6aa96e73_20121006_105416.jpeg

Samsung Galaxy S3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> UD100 USB DAC >> Pico Slim amp >> FitEar TO GO! 334

500x1000px-LL-35313903_ahyguge8.jpeg

Samsung Galaxy S3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> HeadStage USB DAC cable >> RSA Protector amp >> JH Audio JH13

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
I was directed to this thread to ask my question, and I hope someone here can help me out. I'm in the process of designing a way to dock our phones with our cars to not only stream audio, but also video. Android phones do this very well with hdmi, they just all do it differently. The GS3, like you all know, uses MHL, but not the normal 5 pin MHL, rather their 11 pin version. I'm sure there are many reasons why they used a new form factor. My question is, with the old 5 pin it would charge your phone at 500 mA, which isn't quite enough, and phones with the 5 pin mhl would slowly die. Is this different with the 11 pin? Does it charge at a higher rate? Do any of you have the new 11 pin mhl cable (not the 5-11 pin, rather just the 11 pin), and could you check this out for me real quick? I use the app below on my phone to check the rate that it charges at. Please let me know, this would really help me with my project. Thanks in advance.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw&token=EMgqC5um.

DanBa

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
500x1000px-LL.jpg-d596338d_c90f75bd_Image1.jpeg

About Android-specific USB audio:
"As of now, the standard Android releases do not include USB host support. Samsung decided to add this feature on their own. The Android folks are working on a funky USB dock protocol that works over USB (sort of like what Apple does) that, frankly, most of us developers think is stupid. There is certainly a push to put USB host support for standard devices (like audio, keyboards, etc.) into the normal Android releases."
[Pete Millett, design engineer from Apex Hi-Fi]
Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,
I was directed to this thread to ask my question, and I hope someone here can help me out. I'm in the process of designing a way to dock our phones with our cars to not only stream audio, but also video. Android phones do this very well with hdmi, they just all do it differently. The GS3, like you all know, uses MHL, but not the normal 5 pin MHL, rather their 11 pin version. I'm sure there are many reasons why they used a new form factor. My question is, with the old 5 pin it would charge your phone at 500 mA, which isn't quite enough, and phones with the 5 pin mhl would slowly die. Is this different with the 11 pin? Does it charge at a higher rate? Do any of you have the new 11 pin mhl cable (not the 5-11 pin, rather just the 11 pin), and could you check this out for me real quick? I use the app below on my phone to check the rate that it charges at. Please let me know, this would really help me with my project. Thanks in advance.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw&token=_phIrC3W.

mate try a thread titled "anyone with s3 HDMI cable?" ask them to help and give the link to the ampmeter app :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

DanBa

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
The us$43 Samsung Galaxy S3 + Car Stereo Upgrade for WAaaY better sound quality!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/639883/the-43-gal...r-sound-quality

Galaxy S3 > digital USB audio out >> "USB OTG" cable >> Behringer UCA202 USB DAC >> car stereo amp >> car stereo speakers

"...
And so what are the results you ask?

HOLY MOLY!
Not only is the audio quality MUCH improved, but the sound is so CLEAN now. No clicks, burps, or any other weird background noises. Just straight CD quality background silence.
Even my GPS voice sounds prettier. hahah
Bass is tighter and deeper. Highs are more revealing. Everything is so much better that a novice could tell it sounds better.

And yes, GPS navigation works perfectly. If I'm listening to Pandora or an MP3 and my GPS needs to talk, then my music will go several db quieter and GPS will speak up, then afterwards the music will automatically go back to full volume.

Also, one thing I hated about Bluetooth was everytime I turned my car off for just a minute, when I would power it back on the Bluetooth would not consistently reconnect. Well, this USB-OTG has been very consistent for me so far. Music just picks back up where it left off at and is fairly quick to do so.

Cons? Well, I haven't tested hands free calling yet. But I'm told it doesn't work with this USB-OTG to DAC configuration. Maybe there is a bluetooth solution for that. I dunno? And AOSP does not yet support DACs.

Pros? Freakin everything.

Pics are below.

Here is the DAC and the USB-OTG cable:
LL.jpg

This is how you configure the DAC.
You can probably also use the headphones output instead of the stereo RCA, but I didn't try it.
LL.jpg

I wired up my USB-OTG cable to my iBOLT dock. It comes up through my dash defrost vents.
LL.jpg

This is what the three connectors on the USB-OTG cable look like:
LL.jpg

Here is the DAC being wired up. I taped up the non-used RCA's to prevent anything bugging with them.
LL.jpg

I wrapped up the DAC with DUCT tape.
Not sure how or why the pic is sideways. It looks normal on my desktop.
LL.jpg

Hid it behind my dash.
LL.jpg

Here is the USB-OTG cable with my iBOLT dock.
LL.jpg

The car stereo w/audio cable attached. Some car stereos have the 3.5mm connector in the back. Or a dual-RCA input. I'd prefer one of those to have a cleaner install. Maybe someday I'll upgrade my car stereo.
LL.jpg

And here is the finished product. My S3 docked, charging and outputing beautiful digital music!
LL.jpg

.." [CZ Eddie]

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
For the record, using a otg cable and usb microphone (and a usb recording app) I have managed to turn my s3 into a high quality digital recorder. I use it to get interviews for a local radio station.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699