Anyone coming across from Crackberry?

Splange

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Whatever guys. It was delayed 3 months. THE CARRIERS told RIM to abort the holiday launch to avoid a one on one with the Iphone 5. This argument is pointless. Just watch in January when every government agency/most major corporation loads up on BB10 phones. Many are already on contract.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

It's been delayed more than three months. It was originally slated for early 2012. So we're looking at closer to 9 months. The carriers said nothing of the sort, as was mentioned they can't tell RIM when to release. The delay is because RIM doesn't have a product. I'd be surprised if BB10 comes out without further delays.

OniBerry

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
It's going to take me some time to get used to em (native notifications and settings) it's a good transition until I get the hang of my device.

Tomab

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Longtime Blackberry user here and as of 2 weeks ago an ex-user. BBs are good devices for corporate email, and a decent enough phone. That's simply not enough in today's market. All software companies are making mobile versions of their apps on Android and iOS, and not BB. As a result corporate America has also made the switch to Android and iOS. Very few force employees to get a Blackberry anymore.

Most consumers shopping for phones today are not even considering BB, so as their phones die, and contracts expire RIM will be left behind. Their days are numbered, maybe not this year or next year, but soon. They're never going to be a competitor to other smartphone companies.

Reactions: Syrous44

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
So, do tell me...who is in contract with RIM for BB10 devices? The carriers can't tell RIM when or when not to launch. Where in the hell do you get this garbage???

BTW, what BB are you using???

I don't use a blackberry. I use an HTC One X. Kevin's interview with the RIM CEO on Crackberry goes into detail about carrier input. They didn't mandate it, they reccommended it.

My brother works for Lockheed Martin, and they for 1 have a 4 year contract with RIM, renewed last year. That how government agencies work.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
It's been delayed more than three months. It was originally slated for early 2012. So we're looking at closer to 9 months. The carriers said nothing of the sort, as was mentioned they can't tell RIM when to release. The delay is because RIM doesn't have a product. I'd be surprised if BB10 comes out without further delays.

Please watch Crackberry Kevin's interview of Thorstien Heins, they will discuss the carrier input.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Longtime Blackberry user here and as of 2 weeks ago an ex-user. BBs are good devices for corporate email, and a decent enough phone. That's simply not enough in today's market. All software companies are making mobile versions of their apps on Android and iOS, and not BB. As a result corporate America has also made the switch to Android and iOS. Very few force employees to get a Blackberry anymore.

Most consumers shopping for phones today are not even considering BB, so as their phones die, and contracts expire RIM will be left behind. Their days are numbered, maybe not this year or next year, but soon. They're never going to be a competitor to other smartphone companies.

Yep, not like they sold 10 million devices in Q1 and 11 million devices in Q2 2012, more than HTC, Motorola or Windows phone.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day, it will be the global marketplace that will ultimately decide things. Repeating the company's talking points incessantly doesn't mean it will come true. If the new BB10 devices live up to the hype, then RIM will have made the first critical step to regaining marketshare and attracting owners enough to take another look. Let's get back on the original topic of this thread.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

Splange

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Please watch Crackberry Kevin's interview of Thorstien Heins, they will discuss the carrier input.

I've read the article on crackberry about the interview highlights, and it's obvious that the carrier input was not the primary reason. Thorstien repeatedly says that they were having problems integrating the various components and that he did not feel comfortable releasing the product at its current stage. This also fits with what he said at the AGM, and when he first announced the delay. If RIM had a finished product they would have released on time.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't use a blackberry. I use an HTC One X. Kevin's interview with the RIM CEO on Crackberry goes into detail about carrier input. They didn't mandate it, they reccommended it.

My brother works for Lockheed Martin, and they for 1 have a 4 year contract with RIM, renewed last year. That how government agencies work.

But you said many companies have contracts already for BB10.. Which companies? Signing a 4 year deal last year doesn't mean they have contracted for BB10 devices - no one probably even knew about BB10 when the current contract was signed and they were tooting their horn about OS7. And you said the carriers were the one telling RIM not to launch but now they "recommended"?

Invader3K

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
IIRC, OS7 was originally supposed to be 6.2 or something, and they just renamed it OS7 to make it seem like it was newer for marketing purposes.

Anyway, I sure don't miss that spinning clock of doom that kept coming up on my Torch when I was doing a highly memory intensive task like typing a text message or checking Twitter.

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
IIRC, OS7 was originally supposed to be 6.2 or something, and they just renamed it OS7 to make it seem like it was newer for marketing purposes.

Anyway, I sure don't miss that spinning clock of doom that kept coming up on my Torch when I was doing a highly memory intensive task like typing a text message or checking Twitter.

Exactly. But some how BBs get sh*t done faster and iphones and androids are just toys for kids. But yet RIM is loosing customers daily. They lost me over a month ago. Now they lost my wife to iphone last week. She was one of the biggest BB supporters I knew, she would give crackberry Kevin a run for his money. But after she saw how more productive I was on my gnex she quickly became disillusioned with her BB and went iphone with her upgrade. She couldn't be happier. But you know the spinning clock and lag and freezing is where its at apparently makes a phone the best thing since sliced bread. Love how all the BB users are still drinking RIMs koolaid. Must be some f#cking great sh#t. Here's hoping RIM comes back to the game but from what i have seen of BB10 its just catch up time nothing revolutionary, hoping I am wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I personally believe that if BlackBerry 10 has a good display\viewing of HTML type emails, they could be onto something. I've always hated how BlackBerry dealt with HTML emails...

I guess time will tell, well, January 2013 at least ;)

Tomab

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yep, not like they sold 10 million devices in Q1 and 11 million devices in Q2 2012, more than HTC, Motorola or Windows phone.

Worldwide market share for 2012 Q1:
Android 56.1% (same time last year 36.4%)
iOS 22.9% (last year 16.9%)
Symbian 8.6% (last year 27.7%)
BlackBerry 6.9% (last year 13.0%)
Bada 2.7% (last year 1.9%)
Windows 1.9% (last year 2.6%)
Other .9% (last year 1.9%)
source: Gartner

BB lost $518 million in Q1. RIM laid off 6000 employees - I'm sure the remaining employees look around their offices and are shopping their resumes around. Products are delayed. Customers are moving away from BB - not to them. Developers have already dropped BB and moved on to other platforms. Very sad.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
But you said many companies have contracts already for BB10.. Which companies? Signing a 4 year deal last year doesn't mean they have contracted for BB10 devices - no one probably even knew about BB10 when the current contract was signed and they were tooting their horn about OS7. And you said the carriers were the one telling RIM not to launch but now they "recommended"?

They told RIM it was a bad idea. The 4 year deal means that they will buy only from RIM. They're not going to use the Blackberrys they have for another 3 years. My bro's gotten each new berry within a month or two of it coming out.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. But some how BBs get sh*t done faster and iphones and androids are just toys for kids. But yet RIM is loosing customers daily. They lost me over a month ago. Now they lost my wife to iphone last week. She was one of the biggest BB supporters I knew, she would give crackberry Kevin a run for his money. But after she saw how more productive I was on my gnex she quickly became disillusioned with her BB and went iphone with her upgrade. She couldn't be happier. But you know the spinning clock and lag and freezing is where its at apparently makes a phone the best thing since sliced bread. Love how all the BB users are still drinking RIMs koolaid. Must be some f#cking great sh#t. Here's hoping RIM comes back to the game but from what i have seen of BB10 its just catch up time nothing revolutionary, hoping I am wrong.

Well, Blackberry's are better than any other phone at 3 things. Typing speeds, email and corporate communications with BIS and security. It sucks at anything else. That's why people look at it as a business tool.

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
We bought two of them off EBay (Thanks, Mr. Anonymous!) and I had to drive two hours both ways to get them at 1am. Fun times.

It was a good thing we did it that way, though, because we don't live in a 3G area and they wouldn't have been sold at local stores.

In my personal experience it has one advantage. That is security. With swift key 3 or dictation, I type alot faster then on any BB I had and I was blazing fast on those. Email is the same as on any BB I had. So please stop stating the same argument over and over again I keep hearing from BB users. I was like you once with my blinders on till I tried something different and I came to realize how truly antiquated and pathetic BBs are compared to ios and android. Other then security and better battery life, BB are lacking and behind or at par with every other task or functionality. That's why its failing in the consumer market and strong in enterprise. However, as long as the boyd phase continues in the business world RIM will to start hemorrhaging users. For example all of GE/meba appliance division which has over 20 000 employees using company phones world wide are going to iphone come new contract in January. I know this because my mother in law works their. And guess what many more companies going to eventually follow suit. People are sick and tired of caring multiple devices to their work place or place of business. That's why companies are starting to allow boyd on mass as each year goes by. RIM has to focus on consumers if it wants to survive, enterprise wont keep them afloat forever. So no more talk of enterprise and lets get back on original topic.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, Blackberry's are better than any other phone at 3 things. Typing speeds, email and corporate communications with BIS and security. It sucks at anything else. That's why people look at it as a business tool.

Corporate communication with BIS? I don't think so -that would be BES on the corporate level. BIS tends to be for the consumer level.

And typing speeds? I doubt that would be a justification - I'm sure people can type just as fast with another device. Email on a BB was awesome, but other platforms have come leaps and bounds and you can get email almost as fast as a BB. Does it really matter to get an email 20 seconds faster on a BB? Then wait for the spinning clock to disappear? :eek:

Reactions: Syrous44