AT&T vs. Verizon for S3?

Urbancowboy69

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I would like to try Verizon's service before I move over to them but no luck on findin anyone with a smartphone! I would have to shell out 80 bucks to try it for 2 days. Idk what to do as getting any new phone will lock me wirh either company for 2 years.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
After being on Sprints CDMA network for years and hating it I will never pick a CDMA network over a GSM network unless I had too! I like changing phones with out dealing with a website or calling CS...

BUT here is how I would do it...

Network > Device > Personal Pref > Customer Service...

Hope this helps! I will be staying with ATT for my SGIII...

Cheers!

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I would like to try Verizon's service before I move over to them but no luck on findin anyone with a smartphone! I would have to shell out 80 bucks to try it for 2 days. Idk what to do as getting any new phone will lock me wirh either company for 2 years.

No one else around you has an iPhone? That runs on VZW's 3G network. Everyone uses a flip? I doubt congestion is an issue on VZW then.

I just find that really hard to believe...

What carriers do the people around you use? I hate to say this...but you probably get 3G from AT&T by now if you had enough people call AT&T to complain. :(

I'd still go with VZW because your buddies will all get jealous of you when you get faster Internet on your phone then on their DSL. If they get DSL at all, that is. :)

pseudoelf

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
After being on Sprints CDMA network for years and hating it I will never pick a CDMA network over a GSM network unless I had too! I like changing phones with out dealing with a website or calling CS...

BUT here is how I would do it...

Network > Device > Personal Pref > Customer Service...

Hope this helps! I will be staying with ATT for my SGIII...

Cheers!
But since the LTE phones are Sim card based (not GSM....) You can do that change out with the Sim card with VZW CDMA/LTE phones.

trocks797

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
What part of Kentucky? You say an hour shy of Lexington? Are you in Morehead or around there?

I am from Louisville and just graduated from UK in Lexington. Here is how Verizon tends to roll in Kentucky: In areas Verizon serves, they are far better than AT&T. AT&T is a colossal trainwreck in Louisville and Lexington. Verizon is hands-down the better choice in Kentucky if you are in their native network (not Appalachian or Bluegrass, although Bluegrass is very good). If you were in an Appalachian territory and AT&T had 3G there, I would go that route, but since you are in native Verizon area, I can confidently say they will serve you better.

I pull LTE speeds of 60+mbps in Louisvlle on LTE, and 2.5+ on 3G on Verizon. Ditto for Lexington, and the 3G speeds are stellar along 64 as well. All of 64 between Lexington and Louisville is LTE, and I also know Ashland now has live LTE service. It is only a matter of time until they come through to light up your area as well. Verizon is very aggressive in Kentucky it seems.

If there is one thing I can almost guarantee, it is this: if you have Verizon bars in your house, your service will be faster than EDGE on AT&T. Moreover, all areas that currently have Verizon 3G (including your stomping grounds) will be LTE by 1 year from today, so I recommend you go with the new Verizon GS3 or any other VZW LTE phone.

For everyone above complaining about CDMA networks: why? How hard is it to hop online and change out an ESN? Harder than swapping SIMs, ok, but not difficult at all. Regardless, if you purchase an LTE phone from Verizon, you get the same SIM-swapping benefits.

Like Fraydog said, it sounds like Verizon is relatively un-congested there since you cannot find one person there with a VZW smartphone. That's probably a good thing- more bandwidth for you. If I could get out that way, I would stop by and run some tests for ya, but I got a whole weeks worth of work here in Louisville, so I can't.

Just know this: assuming you have Verizon 3G in your house:
-it will be faster than AT&T EDGE
-it will be more reliable than AT&T EDGE (voice and data)
-it will be 4GLTE by this time next year

Go to your closest VZW store and sign up, you have 14 days to see if the phone works in and around your area. If it does not meet your satisfaction, return it.

I feel confident VZW is the best choice for you going off how stellar they are in the rest of Kentucky. It is a shame AT&T has neglected our state (in regards to the lack of HSPA+ rollout and quality of the network in places they do have HSPA+ (Louisville especially)). With no help coming to your area soon from AT&T, I say give Big Red a shot- you'll most definitely be glad you did!

EDIT: one more thing. Even if Verizon's 3G ain't all that great at your place, 4GLTE will probably help with that, because even at one bar, the speeds can reach 5-6mbps, far more than you need to do most things. However, there is a very good chance Verizon will be better at your house today, and only get better next June with LTE.

Last edited:

pseudoelf

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I will never choose a CDMA network over a GSM one. Never

sent from my Galaxy S2
Why? CDMA is a technically superior technology. Which is why they couldn't add data to GSM but could with CDMA networks. They needed WCDMA to get the first level data to actually work for the GSM carrier before UMTS and HSPA. And with LTE the distinction will surely be going away

Urbancowboy69

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Seriously everyone I know has AT&T. I know that's hard to believe but Verizon wasn't that big of a deal here until a few years ago. I'm 28. Most of the people I know ( including myself) have accepted the bad service and stayed with AT&T for years. I mean I'm sure if I did a full out fb manhunt I could have found someone but my immediate circle of friends and family all have AT&T. I'm thinking Verizon will be better for me overall IF the coverage map is true.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's 3G is not as bad as some make it out to be, I used it for quite awhile with 800k - 1.4mbps down and AT&T 3G can get just as slow, they just have a higher top speed.
Verizon has stated that all areas that have 3G will be upgraded to LTE, so I think switching to Verizon is a no brainer, even if they didn't upgrade to LTE Verizon 3G is much better than 2G
and AT&T for all their hype about upgrades, never puts the money into deployments that AT&T does, an area like that won't see 4G on AT&T.

trocks797

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Seriously everyone I know has AT&T. I know that's hard to believe but Verizon wasn't that big of a deal here until a few years ago. I'm 28. Most of the people I know ( including myself) have accepted the bad service and stayed with AT&T for years. I mean I'm sure if I did a full out fb manhunt I could have found someone but my immediate circle of friends and family all have AT&T. I'm thinking Verizon will be better for me overall IF the coverage map is true.

Well like I said, go try it for 14 days and you will know!

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I just searched the FCC's spectrum map for the region of KY where the OP lives.

AT&T can't launch LTE where you live. They simply don't have the 700 MHz spectrum to do so.

I think that makes it obvious VZW is a better choice.

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
In my area I have 2G. Yes, 2G on AT&T. They aren't upgrading my service to 3G until April of 2013. My area will never see 4G (at least not on AT&T). I can drive 30 mins and have 3G but I can't send or recieve MMS messages when I'm at home because 2G is . This really sucks as I have family spread all over the country. I know Verizon's 3G isn't as great as AT&T's 3G, but considering I'm still on 2G at my house, would making the leap to Verizon be the most logical choice? I'm on the unlimited data plan with AT&T but what good is it doing me if I can only use it 50% of the time? I'd rather be on a tiered plan with Verizon and have usability. Give me any kind of input. Thanks!!

I'm a little late to the conversation, but here are my thoughts.

1) You already have the micro-cell coming. Try it and see if what it does in your home and on your property. And test with your present phone so you're not locked in by an upgrade. If it does enough to keep you happy, you're golden. If not, maybe switch.

2) Alternatively, several have indicated you can try VZW for 30 days & cancel with no penalty if you're unhappy. Verify that's the case before you jump. If it is, go for it. But keep your AT&T plan. You can do both tests at the same time, if need be. But, if VZW isn't right for you, you don't want to lose the grandfathered unlimited plan by cancelling. You won't get it back with a new AT&T contract. So have both for the 30 day test and cancel whichever is worse.

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Why? CDMA is a technically superior technology. Which is why they couldn't add data to GSM but could with CDMA networks. They needed WCDMA to get the first level data to actually work for the GSM carrier before UMTS and HSPA. And with LTE the distinction will surely be going away

For something that it technically superior it has a lot of short comings, at least in the way Verizon and Sprint deployed CDMA. Not being able to do voice and data at the same time is a big issue for me. And the fact that it can't do long SMS messages drives me up the wall.

But if I was the OP I would take those short comings and try verizon.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
For something that it technically superior it has a lot of short comings, at least in the way Verizon and Sprint deployed CDMA. Not being able to do voice and data at the same time is a big issue for me. And the fact that it can't do long SMS messages drives me up the wall.

But if I was the OP I would take those short comings and try verizon.

Depends on which phone you have. The Thunderbolt and Rezound are capable of simultaneous voice and data over 3G. The MSM8960 in the SIII supports svdo and the Evo 4G LTE on Sprint has the same chip and is apparently capable of voice/data over 3g as well so guess the verdict is still out on the SIII

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
This area in KY will get LTE from VZW before AT&T comes out with 3G. I checked into it.

Come on this is a virtual slam dunk. I see no reason to stay on AT&T for this guy. Yes I know about CDMA shortcomings but they don't mean jack when LTE is a GSM evolutionary standard.

Wampa1

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It's a tradeoff. Verizon is the better network in general. The 3G is slower but it is everywhere and the LTE is going to be everywhere. Phone selection sucks on Verizon though in general and it always has.

umpirerob

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

GPRS and EDGE both gave the option of simultaneous voice and data years ago. EvDO never allowed this until recently and 3G data speeds aren't even close. GSM tech wins by a mile... coming from a Verizon customer.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2.

vinny jr

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
What about T-Mobile? You never know unless you do some research. I have both T-Mobile & Verizon service. On T-Mobile during the day I am getting on average between 12 & 16 MB down. Not too shabby for the 4th Carrier in the US. T-Mobile has very fast HSPA+ if you are in their service area. You can not beat their plans & prices. Nothing to loose. They also will supply you a cell booster free if you live in a single family home. I had great reception and I still got one free. The booster works great. All bars all the time.
Good Luck,
Vinny

Rezound via Tapatalk 2.