Vehicle dock fail

booyaltz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I am very disappointed in the Galaxy S 3 car dock. What is Samsung thinking when their official car dock is basically just a plastic holder with no audio or power ports? They did the same thing with the CDMA Galaxy Nexus. I would have purchased both of these phones as soon as they were available if they had a car dock that you could insert the phone into and have audio and power already hooked up.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a link to the dock?

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-show-whole-range-galaxy-s-iii-accessories
cardock.jpg

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Its basically just a holder. You have to connect your charging and audio cables every time, which is a good argument for Bluetooth. Would be nice if someone could modify the mythical wireless charger for the SIII to work in the car like people did with the touchstone and the Palm Pre.

Reactions: JinksKid

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Its basically just a holder. You have to connect your charging and audio cables every time, which is a good argument for Bluetooth. Would be nice if someone could modify the mythical wireless charger for the SIII to work in the car like people did with the touchstone and the Palm Pre.

I never had a palm pre so I didn't know that was done before, but it's an awesome idea! Wireless charging and bluetooth to the stereo system would be so boss.

videian

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
pretty shabby, HTC did it right with theirs. Hopefully there will be a decent third party solution, but that will probably take a while

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I am very disappointed in the Galaxy S 3 car dock. What is Samsung thinking when their official car dock is basically just a plastic holder with no audio or power ports? They did the same thing with the CDMA Galaxy Nexus. I would have purchased both of these phones as soon as they were available if they had a car dock that you could insert the phone into and have audio and power already hooked up.

It doesn't look like that dock blocks any ports... maybe they just expect people to connect directly to the phone. Or stream music with bluetooth.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the Epic Touch car dock. I'm betting that with a Dremmel, I can mod it to work with the new phone. Port is in the same place.

Tampaguy75

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
The touchstone cardock was amazing. People did some really cool things with the touchstone

I have been using the Palm Pre touch-stone plugged into my car charger for years, now (to power my various Palm Pre phones). When I get into my car, I just set the phone on the touchstone. My bluetooth is turned on so it automatically connects to my car, and I'm set. No wrestling plugins for the power or the audio. The system is very convenient and one of the most important things that I do NOT want to give up as I move on to the GS3. I sure hope that a similar solution comes out for the Galaxy S3.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered the Samsung Infuse 4G dock since it works with the S3 and has micro USB/aux out!!

This. I luckily already have an infuse car dock since it fit the GSII on sprint perfectly. Thinking about doing a mode to it so it fits even with a phone case on it. If I have success I'll post it.

lakaduce#AC

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
That's the main reason i refuse to upgrade from my two year old Motorola Droid X. The car mount holds the phone securely and I even have an extra one for my motorcycle to keep my phone charged and to use for navigation on trips. As soon as Samsung comes out with something like this, I'm picking up a S III.
89432__98210_zoom.jpg

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the Palm Pre touch-stone plugged into my car charger for years, now (to power my various Palm Pre phones). When I get into my car, I just set the phone on the touchstone. My bluetooth is turned on so it automatically connects to my car, and I'm set. No wrestling plugins for the power or the audio. The system is very convenient and one of the most important things that I do NOT want to give up as I move on to the GS3. I sure hope that a similar solution comes out for the Galaxy S3.

I have been using the touchstone mod with the s3 and its been really great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana