Why is Gallery sucking my battery dry?

boristhebad

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a Verizon Galaxy SIII, and while I love it, I've been getting some pretty bad battery life (< 2h screen time, ~8 hours total use). I noticed that Gallery kept ending up near the top of the list of things using battery. I only have about 4 pictures I've taken on this, and I did initially allow it to sync pictures with Google Images, but have since turned off any syncing of pictures. Nonetheless, Gallery keeps using up battery. Yesterday it used up 25% of the battery life, and kept the system awake for 9.5 hours. What can I do to stop this vampire?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
first time ive heard of that. has battery life always been so bad? maybe disable the gallery + download a different one but that really shouldnt be happening..

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
QuickPic is a good gallery app. have u tried usin a different one? then u could disable the default gallery in app manager

NewPepper

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me. In my case it was because Gallery was trying to continuously Sync with Picasa. Go into settings/accounts and sync and select your google account. Scroll to the bottom and uncheck Sync with Picasa Web Albums. That should fix it, it did for me. I don't use Picasa and I figure it just hung on continuous sync as a result.

If you just stop it in task manager it will come back in a few days.

I'd bet this is the culprit for you. Let me know if this is it or no.

boristhebad

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I had turned off "Sync to Google Photos" but not "Sync to Picasa Web Albums", and since one of my googleapps accounts didn't have a Picasa set associated with it, I guess it just kept trying and trying to upload with no success. Turning that off seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks everyone.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
FYI, unless the sync on/off is set to on, you won't see the checkboxes to uncheck particular types like picassa.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
After reading this post I checked my phone. I unchecked Google sync for everything except Gmail and calendar. We'll see what happens.

Sent from my GSIII using Tapatalk.

niknag

May 22, 2011
Visit site
turning Google sync for photos and Picasa Web albums off...gained nearly 20 to 30% of my battery back.. thank you so much for this tip

Jennyfer0011

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I don
t have any accounts synced and gallery seems to be using 53% of battery life. I even went as far as deleting every album in there and it's still sucking the life out of it :(

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don
t have any accounts synced and gallery seems to be using 53% of battery life. I even went as far as deleting every album in there and it's still sucking the life out of it :(

Do you say you don't any account synced because you know you turned sync off, or because you think you never turned it on? Unfortunately, the default seems to be to have everything on, so you'll need to manually turn them off.