Why S3 so slow?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
ive got the gt-i9300 16gb version, completely un-modded and 8gb sd card man. can u do a screenshot? urs should defo beat the htc one x on quadrant. u dont have power saving turned on do u? if not then id look in to it coz it should be a lot faster mate

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I turned off power saving, BT and Wifi and reran the test. It now reads:
Total: 5276; CPU 12840; Mem 4664; I/O 6007; 2D 1000; 3D 1871.

It now beats the HTC One X.

Last edited:

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
what's "rooted"?

My understanding is that a rooted phone has had all of the manufacturer and carrier software stripped away leaving the user with the hardware architecture and Android OS. It allows way more customization and direct system control. The basic firmware is replaced by a custom 3rd party ROM.

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
No. That's when you already installed a custom rom. To do that you need to root the phone. Rooting gives you access to settings you don't have with the official rom, including installing a new custom one and installing apps that change certain settings in your os.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
No. That's when you already installed a custom rom. To do that you need to root the phone.

Rooting is all about getting your choice of custom firmware from a website to your PC to your phone memory where you can then boot the phone with it and replace stock firmware by flashing the new one to internal ROM. I suppose you could argue that installing the ROM isn't part of rooting, however I look at it as the final step. Otherwise the stock ROM is still in place and your phone system software hasn't changed.

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64

jay28w

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Maybe my expectations were set too high with all the hype, but gmail still takes a second to load (even if I load it, press home, then gmail again).

I figured if it's all in memory, it should be closer to instant, rather than one full second to load.

Would 4 cores help?

Will JellyBean help?

Don't get me wrong: I love my S3's, but I certainly wouldn't mind more speed switching, launching, etc. (I don't play games so I no basis to just processor performance other than task launching and switching)

Mike

I think it's the gmail update process, not the phone. I maintain about 12 email addresses on my phone, including an Exchange account, numerous Yahoo addresses w/Yahoo app, 4 gmail addresses and even some outlook.com addresses. I have played extensively with the email clients, including reducing the gmail addresses to 1, and every single time the worst performing email client is gmail.

There are other things you can do to speed up the response time for basic navigating and switching apps, etc. These are well documented.

mechanicboy

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. My galaxy nexus operated much smoother and faster. I wish I could run bare bones ics on my s3 but my phone won't root for some reason.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
My Galaxy S3 i9300 is more fluid, faster and smoother since the Jelly Bean update. I am with Nova Laucher, though, but I had it before the update. You should try it. Try to uninstall stuff you dont need and that might be slowing you down.

plumto66

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
WHOA!!

I was "this far" from taking my brand new (3 days) S3 back until I tried this.
.5 did the trick instantly. I'M KEEPING MY S3!!!

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
What does this mean? What is the trick? And what is.5?

Sent from my GT-I9300

What did you try?

You guys should read threads before you reply to them. From page 2:

try this

settings>Developer options> window animation scale (set it to 0.5x) and Transition Animation scale(set to 0.5x).

that should speed things up a bit without any ill effects.

let me know if that helps

David Strong

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, my phone is so slow is ridiculous. I've closed every app that's unnecessary, it's not on power saver, there's no special apps open. Even opening sms, or the contacts takes 2 seconds. 2 seconds, I've timed it. What is going on???

- - - Updated - - -

I tried the developer options thing and it makes no difference. Cheers though.

David Strong

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, the latest update has made my phone crash on at least 6 occassions. It restarts by itself, it's even slower than before. Has anyone else got this problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty