Should Apple vs Samsung decision stop me from getting GS3?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you should I love going into our local apple store and seeing the looks on everyone's faces whrn I shoe off all the s3s amazing features.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 534n

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Agreed.

Let's not forget - Apple did try to settle with Samsung.

I also read that Apple wanted a ridiculous $30 per handset as well. Whether or not they set the price so high to deter Samsung from using their patents at all, or what is a different story. But it sounds like Apple didn't really want to license them out to a company that was gaining ground on them. Easy enough to license them to MS, when their Mobile OS isn't affecting Apples sales.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I also read that Apple wanted a ridiculous $30 per handset as well. Whether or not they set the price so high to deter Samsung from using their patents at all, or what is a different story. But it sounds like Apple didn't really want to license them out to a company that was gaining ground on them. Easy enough to license them to MS, when their Mobile OS isn't affecting Apples sales.

$40 for tablets, $30 for phones.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
So now that Tim Cook is talking with Google does anyone think Apple is looking at potential issue with the Moto patents and the inevitable patent on the notification pull down (a major feature in iOS 5).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So now that Tim Cook is talking with Google does anyone think Apple is looking at potential issue with the Moto patents and the inevitable patent on the notification pull down (a major feature in iOS 5).

You've read the breakdown of the pull down patent, right?

Google doesn't own it yet.

Apple may only currently infringe on a small part of it.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
You've read the breakdown of the pull down patent, right?

Google doesn't own it yet.

Apple may only currently infringe on a small part of it.

Yeah, that's why I said inevitable.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you should I love going into our local apple store and seeing the looks on everyone's faces whrn I shoe off all the s3s amazing features.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Wow. That is an AWESOME idea. I am totally going to stop at every apple store I pass now and go in and announce that people should go get a Samsung Galaxy S3 because it trumps the cheap (but expensive) apple phones!

You, sir, are my first +1

Datbouy

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the S3 and iPad 3 and I don't have any issues. I use my iPad 3 for reading a lot. I save articles to my Pocket app on the S3 and read them on the iPad just like I used to do when I had the iPhone 4. The S3 is a great phone and the iPad 3 is a great tablet I highly recommend both. The biggest adjustment I had to make was the S3 size. It is more difficult to use with one hand, but it is hardly a big issue and all of the things it can do that iPhone can't outweigh it by a long shot.

BTW, I personally think that this law suit will only drive further innovation from android as a whole.
I also have a gs3 and ipad3 and I agree with u totally.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I have the S3 and iPad 3 and I don't have any issues. I use my iPad 3 for reading a lot. I save articles to my Pocket app on the S3 and read them on the iPad just like I used to do when I had the iPhone 4. The S3 is a great phone and the iPad 3 is a great tablet I highly recommend both. The biggest adjustment I had to make was the S3 size. It is more difficult to use with one hand, but it is hardly a big issue and all of the things it can do that iPhone can't outweigh it by a long shot.

BTW, I personally think that this law suit will only drive further innovation from android as a whole.

Heh, have you played with a Transformer? Those are my favorite tablets, although I am fairly interested in the Nexus 7, but I think the next gen Transformers will still be the best. I will be interested in trying Windows RT vs Windows 8 vs Android. I have Windows 8 now on several computers (the hardware of which is hardly fair to Android tablets) and I love it but the Windows RT for ARM will be interesting to try against Android.

The Gecko project also looks like it may have potential if enough devs get into it. Just think, a mobile OS with zero bloatware or tracking backbones.

All that said, my coworker had the new ipad and was jealous (he called it "serious tech-envy") of the TF700 that I showed him.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Heh, have you played with a Transformer? Those are my favorite tablets, although I am fairly interested in the Nexus 7, but I think the next gen Transformers will still be the best. I will be interested in trying Windows RT vs Windows 8 vs Android. I have Windows 8 now on several computers (the hardware of which is hardly fair to Android tablets) and I love it but the Windows RT for ARM will be interesting to try against Android.

The Gecko project also looks like it may have potential if enough devs get into it. Just think, a mobile OS with zero bloatware or tracking backbones.

All that said, my coworker had the new ipad and was jealous (he called it "serious tech-envy") of the TF700 that I showed him.

You, my friend, are well informed and know your tech!! :)

How do you think the N7 matches up with the TF700?

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
You, my friend, are well informed and know your tech!! :)

How do you think the N7 matches up with the TF700?

Interestingly enough, they are both made by ASUS (just in case you weren't aware) and have EXACTLY the same hardware and base. The N7 is basically a 7 inch TF700 and easier to carry around. I will probably grab an N7 to play with since I love testing devices and seeing what they can do, but for productivity and heavy use, the TF700 cannot be beat.

The devices are the same except for size, so whatever you need them for can safely be the deciding factor between the two. Only other differences are the N7 has no rear camera but instead has NFC and is 8-16GB vs 32-64GB, plus the obvious resolution difference of 1280x800 vs 1920x1200.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly enough, they are both made by ASUS (just in case you weren't aware) and have EXACTLY the same hardware and base. The N7 is basically a 7 inch TF700 and easier to carry around. I will probably grab an N7 to play with since I love testing devices and seeing what they can do, but for productivity and heavy use, the TF700 cannot be beat.

The devices are the same except for size, so whatever you need them for can safely be the deciding factor between the two. Only other differences are the N7 has no rear camera but instead has NFC and is 8-16GB vs 32-64GB, plus the obvious resolution difference of 1280x800 vs 1920x1200.

I had no idea the N7 was made by Asus! This tablet would be for me so the more portable the better I suppose. My MAIN uses would be to read my class text books on the device, web surf, email and occasional 720p movies. BTW, what kind of productivity, heavy use can a tablet have that I perhaps might be unaware of??? I don't think you could trouble shoot networking systems with a tablet.....or can you?!

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, Asus tablets come with Polaris Office for free which is a spreadsheet, presentation, and word processor and can read and edit both linux and MS office documents. I use RDP Enterprise and/or Splashtop when I need something that only Windows can do and I have a dedicated RDP/Splashtop server set up for that. There are also lots of tools for stuff on the Android market if you look for them for a specific issue. WiFi Analyzer is great for troubleshooting WiFi issues for example. Depends what programs you need specifically and you can install ubuntu on the Asus tablets and WINE now has an prototype ARM based emulator to run some Windows executables. But you can always just RDP to a computer that does the things you need it to or carry a mini computer with you that you can hook to a network and boot up then connect to either directly via wireless or over the network (if that is not the problem). I have a Foxconn N450 computer that I can almost fit in my pocket that I can use for such situations.

You can also play games on the TF700 and it replaced my laptop for me. There is nothing I could do on the laptop that I can't do on the tablet. Not to mention the twin batteries is cool and the extra SD slot plus a USB port, along with the dock's keyboard and mouse. It is basically a 10.1 inch laptop with a battery that lasts all day with heavy use, and several days without. It also has a full HD screen PLUS the bar on the bottom, so you can get true 1080p images without cropping.

If you have a specific interest or need (or more specific directives for the troubleshooting), I may be able to state for sure if the 700 can do it.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, Asus tablets come with Polaris Office for free which is a spreadsheet, presentation, and word processor and can read and edit both linux and MS office documents. I use RDP Enterprise and/or Splashtop when I need something that only Windows can do and I have a dedicated RDP/Splashtop server set up for that. There are also lots of tools for stuff on the Android market if you look for them for a specific issue. WiFi Analyzer is great for troubleshooting WiFi issues for example. Depends what programs you need specifically and you can install ubuntu on the Asus tablets and WINE now has an prototype ARM based emulator to run some Windows executables. But you can always just RDP to a computer that does the things you need it to or carry a mini computer with you that you can hook to a network and boot up then connect to either directly via wireless or over the network (if that is not the problem). I have a Foxconn N450 computer that I can almost fit in my pocket that I can use for such situations.

You can also play games on the TF700 and it replaced my laptop for me. There is nothing I could do on the laptop that I can't do on the tablet. Not to mention the twin batteries is cool and the extra SD slot plus a USB port, along with the dock's keyboard and mouse. It is basically a 10.1 inch laptop with a battery that lasts all day with heavy use, and several days without. It also has a full HD screen PLUS the bar on the bottom, so you can get true 1080p images without cropping.

If you have a specific interest or need (or more specific directives for the troubleshooting), I may be able to state for sure if the 700 can do it.

Thanks for the info! I'm most likely going to wait for the next gen Transformer for my first tablet. :)

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I'm most likely going to wait for the next gen Transformer for my first tablet. :)

Yep, just be aware that they will be Windows based. The 810 will be Windows 8 with an atom, and the 600 will be Windows RT with an ARM (likely the Tegra 3 if the 4 is not out by then - ASUS has been known to do last minute hardware swaps).

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Yep, just be aware that they will be Windows based. The 810 will be Windows 8 with an atom, and the 600 will be Windows RT with an ARM (likely the Tegra 3 if the 4 is not out by then - ASUS has been known to do last minute hardware swaps).

Thanks a lot man!! I'm going to do my homework and see which will best suit my needs!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I have not played with a Transformer, but I will check it out. I am seriously considering passing the iPad to my wife and kids and getting an Android tablet for myself. :D

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have not played with a Transformer, but I will check it out. I am seriously considering passing the iPad to my wife and kids and getting an Android tablet for myself. :D

I haven't played with Transformers since I was a kid...errr wait, that isn't what you meant.:eek:

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
$40 for tablets, $30 for phones.

Those prices were specifically put into place to keep Samsung away. It's a shame really. Hopefully Hopefully Tim Cook, and Larry Page can smooth things over. iOS is good, but the 1 form factor of phone got old, there's no variety out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa