The CHEAP Plastic on the Galaxy S3

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
When was the last time you saw an aluminum bumper on a car? Never, you say? I wonder why that is. Probably because plastic flexes and recovers, while aluminum would dent, at best, and crack, at worst.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm amused when I see iPhone users brag about their phone having a premium feel, yet turn around and put it in a plastic or rubberized case.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Troll alert!!

please tell me you guys are joking! Are crazy? Plastic is cheap rubbish and it feels cheap. We life in modern world now, where glass are timeless elegant and stylish. Maybe the prob is that you guys want a iphone 5 but can't afford it???

Hhahahahaha i mean really. Plastic? Over alumium and glass? It is hillarious actually. Fact is, any phone will be damage if dropped, even the plastic samsung. If you own a iphone 5 you can afford insurance and have it replaced in no time. So i really don't get where you are going with this...

LaBellaGP

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm a former iphone user and do prefer the premium feel of the iphone. I can't count the number of times I dropped my iphone out my lap getting out my car. No damage. I drop my gs3 and the phone, back cover, and the battery all go in different directions, but also...no damage.

Although my GS3 does feel cheaper in comparison its not a deal breaker. Im enjoying trying it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

richcuffs

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if its been mentioned before,

But you can buy a replacement battery door, made of every material you can think of from ebay for something in the neighborhood of $1 to $3.

Aluminum: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...w.ebay.ca%2Fitm%2F310420008483&token=BOK-S-u5
Leather: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...w.ebay.ca%2Fitm%2F290756286845&token=EWfjMUcf
Chrome: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...w.ebay.ca%2Fitm%2F251120090520&token=FMZXrZqc

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I read the reviews of some of the aluminum back panels on Amazon, and saw multiple comments that said they interfered with the antennas, and significantly reduced signal strength. Not a good thing. Chrome over plastic might have a similar effect. Leather should be fine, though. Or maybe not. The description says "leather and metal." If it's a thin layer of leather over a metal panel, it would likely interfere with the signal, too.

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I would rather have a soft plastic case than a metal phone. The plastic is more damage resistant and I keep my phone in a silicone case all the time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with plastic? It's durable, cheap to make... There is crap plastic and there is high quality plastic. As long as it's the latter, fine by me. I would rather have a plastic body that holds up to abuse than some delicate piece of art that scratched if you so much as looked at it the wrong way.

Considering that everyone... HTC, Samsung, Apple, you name it, all have a price point to hit with their phones, so every penny spent on some elaborate sub-micron tolerance alloy case is a penny they DIDN'T spend on the inside.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with plastic? It's durable, cheap to make... There is crap plastic and there is high quality plastic. As long as it's the latter, fine by me. I would rather have a plastic body that holds up to abuse than some delicate piece of art that scratched if you so much as looked at it the wrong way.

The problem isn't the plastic, it's just alot of people are so narrowminded that when they see plastic, they automatically think it's cheap quality. They ignore the benefits of it over metal because of something as misleading as the feeling.

LaBellaGP

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's an issue of being "narrowminded" as most of us actually still own the GS3. It's simply an issue of preference. My signal strength has been basically the same but in all honestly I drop far more calls with my GS3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The problem isn't the plastic, it's just alot of people are so narrowminded that when they see plastic, they automatically think it's cheap quality.
That's true, to a point.... but considering the fact that I see SIII's EVERYWHERE, I don't think people really care all that much that the case is plastic and not metal or CF or ultimantium.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
True that.... but despite it feeling cheap, as some have called it, the SIII was really the first Android phone to take on the iPhone (a phone that is usually touted as #1 in terms of fancy build materials) and win.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
True that.... but despite it feeling cheap, as some have called it, the SIII was really the first Android phone to take on the iPhone (a phone that is usually touted as #1 in terms of fancy build materials) and win.
Definitely. The cheap argument only goes as far as the feeling.

patmackattack

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Took off my case today to put on my new screen protector and was holding my phone and it feels amazing. Anyone who holds it and thinks it feels cheap is crazy. I do like the feel of iPhones as well.

Mentioning the plastic is just a knee-jerk reaction when you can't think of anything rational to say.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
The iphone has had gorilla glass since it was introduced. It was the first mobile device to have it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The iPhone 4 or 4s, don't remember which one did not come with gorilla glass. Something about a contract disagreement.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

comshock25

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm amused when I see iPhone users brag about their phone having a premium feel, yet turn around and put it in a plastic or rubberized case.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

Lol! Makes the phone look cheap.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty