The CHEAP Plastic on the Galaxy S3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Something else about plastic: There is a kind of plastic that has the same heat tolerance, and durability as steel. I even recall hearing about a pistol barrel being made of plastic.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Something else about plastic: There is a kind of plastic that has the same heat tolerance, and durability as steel. I even recall hearing about a pistol barrel being made of plastic.
I read about that too. I wonder if gun enthusiasts complain about that barrel being plastic and wishing it was made of steel. lol

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Just saw a show that touched on the WWII era Mosquito. It was made primarily from layered/laminated plywood. Apparently was quite strong and able to support some serious horsepower that enabled it to be one of the fastest aircraft of its time.

I also heard just today from an anonymous source, that since Samsung has become so sensitized about the perceived plastic backlash; that the S4 and Note III will be laser milled from Unobtanium. Mind you, not just any ordinary Unobtanium, but enhanced Unobtanium mined and produced by an interstellar consortium lead by none other than the Transformers, Ewoks, and the A-Team. How's that for turning the design dilemna around and setting the innovation bar even higher?

thetechaddict

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
A little off topic, but in my opinion, the S3 is everywhere now because Samsung's retailers decided to sell the phone for $1 on Black Friday, as well as it being substantially discounted throughout the holiday season. The S3 used to be special, and people would always ask me about it, until around the holidays. The S4 hadn't even been close to being announced. Apple will never, and I mean NEVER, offer any reasonable discounts for their current devices.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Plastic doesn't HAVE to be slippery. My HTC Evo had a plastic back, but it was matte finished, and not at all slippery. I have no objection to plastic--I appreciate the light weight. I do wish Samsung wasn't so enamored of the super glossy finish, though.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
And yet another benefit of Samsung's plastic construction (at least compared to the HTC One). The HTC is virtually unrepairable:

iFixit tears down the HTC One, finds HTC One parts inside that sexy aluminum shell | Android Central

Scoring a 1 out of 10 for reparability, iFixit warns that it is nearly impossible to open the phone without damaging the back case. Dead batteries and shattered screens are going to be problematic, since iFixit found them nearly impossible to replace.

and

Bottom line: make a case the first accessory you buy for the One.

So HTC One owners will be covering all that sexy aluminum with..... wait for it..... That's right: cheap, ugly plastic. :D :D :D

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

mattaz

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey All
You know when I read about the S3 being polycarbonate I thought to myself "thats just a better word than plastic". We'll recently I saw a doc on History or one of those channels a and I caught the show showing how 3 different plastics are worked with and molded, best plastics for retain applications and best out all he took a hammer to all 3. I guess it was a few inches thick , a foot or so hanging off a ledge and he smashed all.2 out of 3 broke while the poly carbonate bounced back.

I actually just dropped my phone hard in the street AGAIN. Minor scuffs. First time it actually kind of smooshed in the corner that I was able to work back out. But knock on wood, screen is still scratchless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Hutchism

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Just got to add my 2 cents on this one, as I keep hearing the s-series plastic argument. I'm still using an S2 from when they first came out, so its over 2 years old now. Not sure if I'll upgrade or just keep it till it dies, shall probably just keep it as it really does all I need it to do and would like to see how long these things can last.

S2 being light and plastic means that the case deflects more shock and as it's lighter so will land with less force. The vibrate failed on mine recently (the only problem I've ever had on it, touch wood). 5 mins to open it up swap the vibrate module and screw it back together and the part was only ?4! Took me nearly 20mins to open my ipod classic up recently to change the battery.

Fair play to samsung for making a solid robust and serviceable device! Would never by another Apple product again! I'm typing this on a Macbook Air, but seeing the way they're even making the Macbook Pro line with sealed in batteries etc. I'm going to stick with stuff that you can repair unless they start offering me stuff for silly prices.