Anyone else have disparity in picture quality on pc vs phone?

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the S3 because I knew the camera was a pretty solid upgrade over my Incredible 2 but I accepted it wouldn't be on par with the One X or iPhone 4/4s/5, however I'm feeling very disappointed in it right now. On my phone the pictures look pretty good without a ton of noise but once I open them up on a computer they look subpar compared. They just seem to have a bit more noise in them and not as crisp. This especially holds true if I zoom in even a tiny bit on the photo I'm taking. I'm not looking for DSLR quality but I was hoping for a lot more out of this. I have it set to super fine and 8MP but I'm beginning to wonder if I have something wrong in settings. That or I'm expecting way too much out of this camera.

Has anyone else noticed these kind of disparity?

Examples (none of these have been altered, uploaded straight from Dropbox)
image slightly zoomed: http://cl.ly/image/0f2f282y3w25
no zoom: http://cl.ly/image/1X2U193d0h0y
For comparative sake here is a picture from my Incredible 2: http://cl.ly/image/0v1d3y1U0R2Z

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Stop zooming in and pixel peeping. If you want it to look as good as it does on your phone, zoom out until the picture only shows up as a 5" image on your computer screen.

Set the phone to 1280x720, wipe the camera surface clean, hold the phone steady and take some pictures. Then enjoy them on a decent sized screen from an average viewing distance.

The pic of your mazda has an extreme dynamic range. I'm suprised the phone did as well as it did. Did you use the HDR feature when shooting it?

Also be aware that when you preview it on dropbox, dropbox is applying compression. You need to download the native file if you want to actually see the native file on your computer.

Lastly, if you want perfection, use a real camera.

-Suntan

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Every picture that I take on my phone looks better than yours, infact I had to shrink the photos so it would fit on the screen. Here is a link to show you how to take pictures with this camera lol

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/20120830_174517.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/20120830_174606.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/20120830_174639.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/20120830_174956.jpg

click on the images to see the full size image so it will eliminate the jagged lines.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
The mazda was shot with nothing added. I recognize your comment about perfection, hence why I said I wonder if I'm expecting too much. I guess I was just hoping for a bit more quality from the phone when sharing. I'm not looking to print these but even through social sharing they look washed out. I'll try your 1280x720 suggestion and see if that helps.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Every picture that I take on my phone looks better than yours,

Not really. Your car just happened to be in an area where there wasn't a large, extremely birght object in the background for some of the shots. However, your shots still have some pretty bad dynamic range issues and a lot of reflection off the car panels. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot a person can do about it with a cell phone if they are just going to take some snaps out in the driveway in the middle of the day. The two biggest improvements would be to wait until dusk to take the pictures, or buying a polarizing filter and holding it up in front of the phone camera.

A little off topic, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Why bother blanking out the license plate? What does it really buy you? Do you think some internet lurker is going to track you down and steal your car beacuase they saw the license number on a picture on the internet?

Blanking out plates makes the image worthless, imo. All people see is the silly digital white-out.

If at all possible, take the plate and plate holder off prior to taking the picture. If that isn't practical, then just leave the plate as it is so it can detract as little as possible. People expect to see plates on a car, they don't expect to see digital white-out.

-Suntan

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Have to agree with s14tat - something is amiss with your camera, every photo I've taken looks better than yours, that's pretty poor.

Rev.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind the screen on the GSIII amps up the saturation compared to reality. It will look good on the phone, but it isn't really realistic.

That said, about the washed out look, most likely the large white side of the house in the image is causing a bit of that. Flare inside the little lens can degrade contrast quickly when shooting with whites that high up in the range (which the camera had to do to expose the car with any detail.) If there is junk of the surface of the lens, that can impact the performance a good deal too. Take the picture at dusk and wipe the backside of your phone clean first.

-Suntan

Jessie2222

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I think people blank the number plate so it can't be cloned. For example if you own a Mazda that's the same colour and year, put the plate number of someone else's Mazda on yours and you can go through tax traps and speed traps knowing you are not gonna get the bill.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Really, so do you drive down the road with it whited-out? Or park it at the mall with it whited out? What's to stop the guy driving by your car with a mazda the same color as yours from writing down your plate number?

-Suntan

Jessie2222

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Certainly you can't stop that but if the car is local there is more chance of the duplicate being spotted. If it's on the internet it is easier to obtain and easier to get away with it longer if you live 200 miles from the car you cloned. People use it as precaution not a prevention.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Appreciate all the suggestions. I have another week before I hit my 14 day return policy so I'm going to keep messing with it to see. I'd hate to have to go through a return process but such is life (also the fact that I'd need to some how fight on this).

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
A little off topic, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Why bother blanking out the license plate? What does it really buy you? Do you think some internet lurker is going to track you down and steal your car beacuase they saw the license number on a picture on the internet?

Blanking out plates makes the image worthless, imo. All people see is the silly digital white-out.

If at all possible, take the plate and plate holder off prior to taking the picture. If that isn't practical, then just leave the plate as it is so it can detract as little as possible. People expect to see plates on a car, they don't expect to see digital white-out.

-Suntan

Here is a quote from jalopnik on blurring out license plate vs just leaving it be

If you're reading this now, there's great chance that you spend far too many of your waking hours looking at pictures of cars online. Which means you've probably noticed that many of those images have their license tags obscured in some way. Being the inquisitive (likely) mammal that you are, you've probably wondered why the license plate is obscured, and if it's actually a good idea.

At least, I fit that description. Here at Jalopnik, we haven't had a policy to obscure license plate images— I left them intact in, say, my Classic reviews— but it's worth investigating this further.

The general thinking behind pixellating or blurring or covering the license plates is based on the idea that with your license plate number, more information can be revealed about the car's owner, without his or her consent. The argument against obscuring the tags is that the tags are already on open, public view. Why should it matter if they're in a picture, when they're normally not hidden, anyway?

Should You Bother Obscuring Your License Plates In Photos?

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll reveal my thoughts coming into this. I was firmly in the who-cares-they're-already-on-display camp. To such a degree that I have a pair of Vans with my Beetle's license plate number embroidered on the back. Also, it helps that I'm so irritating that I'm almost kidnap-proof, even if someone could find out where I lived from my car's tags. But, I do have a wife and son far less annoying than myself, so I better get to the bottom of this.

A simple Google search reveals plenty of sites that offer ways to find out information based on license plate numbers. Hell, even our Gawk-bro site LifeHacker did an article on this very subject.

But that's the internet— I wanted the advice of someone who's job it is to actually know what's what with this stuff, and, ideally, have a uniform. So I called Officer Mosqueda of the California Highway Patrol and asked him, flat out, what information can people get from a license plate, and, as a CHP officer, would you suggest obscuring the plate?

The truth is you can find out a lot from someone's license tags. Officer Mosqueda said that there are both legal and illegal ways to find a person's name, address, the registration and fee history of the car, and more. All this information can be made available to anyone, either through the DMV or through paid services, many of which are online.

For example, in California, to go through the DMV, one would fill out an INF 70 form, which allows people to request information on a given license plate number. The form does list a set of permissible uses, such as driver safety, theft, hiring commercial drivers, etc. but if someone's the sort of perv that wants a person's license information so they can masturbate outside their bedroom window, I don't think they'd have much issue lying on the form.

This method is still an improvement over how it used to be. Prior to 1994, it was easier to get home addresses from DMV records, and this was the method by which the man who murdered Rebecca Schaeffer, an actress from the 90s television show My Sister Sam, got her home address and related information. This murder led to the creation of the Drivers' Privacy Protection Act of 1994.

Private, paid services don't even care if you're a creepy murderer or not— they just take your money and send you the information. Now, this information isn't your blood type and a list of your deepest, most secretest fears, but the possibility to get your address can be worrying.

As for the argument that your plate is already visible to anyone walking by your car, that's certainly true. It's just that the internet can so vastly expand the number of people able to see your license plate that it may become an issue. Still, as Officer Mosqueda told me with a certain degree of poetry, "You can't blur out real life." Sage words, Officer.

Officer Mosqueda's final advice? You may as well obscure your license plate, just to be safe. His attitude was that while it's not likely the information would be found and misused, it could happen.

So, I'm proposing a couple of little rules that I plan to live by, and will suggest that these be made Jalopnik policy:

• If you take a picture of a car that is not yours, and you have not made any arrangements with the owner, then it is the photographer's responsibility to obscure the plates.

• If you are taking a picture of your own car, or are placing your car in a situation or location where it can be reasonably expected that it will be photographed (at a car show, on the set of a film shoot, etc.) then it is the owner's responsibility to obscure the if desired, by physical means or electronic in the case of an owner-created photo.

Oh, and if the license plate in question is a really funny or ironic personalized plate, or an inadvertently dirty one, I reserve the right to ignore all these good rules. Because a joke on a license plate or something trumps all laws.

How's that sound? Oh, and remember: "You can't blur out real life."

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough if you think it really makes a difference. As I said, it looks dumb. If possible, take the plate and plate holder off before taking the picture. Or don't even bother showing an image with the plate in the frame as it degrades the image so much as to make it practically useless. In any case, so be it.

-Suntan

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i havent altered any settings on the cam other than add anti-shake or whatever and set everything to full rez and im very happy with it (im not a big photographer to be fair)
i just make sure the square goes green or hold the shutter button for a few seconds before releasing if i have time
must admit i preferred the two-stage shutter buttons on sonys...

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non