ROOT: Pros&Cons. (Experiences only)

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
G1? G1 is the non-official version of baseband based off the OTA update of G7. Did you flash a modem with ODIN at some point or another?

For the rooted file, it should be .tar.md5 as the extension when you are using ODIN.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I only stock root just to use titanium backup and adfree. I still want to get updates from VZW. Not to knock any particular roms, but some roms have something that doesn't particularly work right. And you have to constantly flash and flash just to keep up.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I only stock root just to use titanium backup and adfree. I still want to get updates from VZW. Not to knock any particular roms, but some roms have something that doesn't particularly work right. And you have to constantly flash and flash just to keep up.

Thats the point of crackflashing :)

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Rooted, unlocked and installed CWM with this guide:

[GUIDE][VZW Edition]How to root your Galaxy S3 & More!(ROMs/CWM/Stock) - xda-developers

Took about 5 minutes, the longest part was downloading the drivers for the phone and downloading the 7zip program to unzip (grumble-grumble, why can't nerds just use regular zip...)

Still running stock ROM.

Did it to get rid of the ongoing wifi notification and get the wifi toggle back in the top list where it belongs, plus to use titanium backup and adfree android. Finally, to use the Dual Shock 3 controller wirelessly with the sixaxis app.

-Suntan

Donoghan

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I rooted with Odin, and ran CM10 for a couple of weeks ( I just switched from years with the iPhone to my GS3 a month ago). I flashed Paranoid Android a day or two ago.

I rooted to get as close to stock jelly bean as possible. I bought the GS3 for the hardware knowing I'd root it as soon as possible to get the JB/Nexus experience.

Will I unroot and go back to stock touchwiz? No way. These ROMs I've flashed are plenty stable and give me way too much flexibility. Love it.

Sent from my Paranoid Android Galaxy S3.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

do we still get OTA updates if we only root but dont flash anything?
i, like you, miss ad free and backing up app data. also removing the samsung bloat

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
do we still get OTA updates if we only root but dont flash anything?
i, like you, miss ad free and backing up app data. also removing the samsung bloat

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

You will still receive OTA update but you shouldn't install the OTA if you are on a stock rooted image.

When you change roms, do you lose some of the cool touchwiz features? Like palm to capture screen, voice commands, briefing alarm etc?

Depends on the ROM you flash. If you flash a TW/ICS based ROM you will keep most if not all of those features. If you flash an AOSP based ROM like AOKP/CM then you will loose those features since those are features built in by Samsung.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
This is the first phone I've had in many years that I am perfectly happy with bone stock software. No root here, no need.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
This is the first phone I've had in many years that I am perfectly happy with bone stock software. No root here, no need.

I agree with out on this. This was the first phone that I would be happy with not rooting but my habits from the Galaxy Nexus carried over here. If I never crack flashed like it was going out of style with the GNex I probably wouldn't have rooted this phone so quickly. It all comes down to what you want to do with your phone.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
main reasons i rooted in the past was to upgrade firmware that was never gona be officialy released and to overclock.. no need on this phone. even removing the bloat isnt so important coz its only sammy bloat on mine and plenty memory :)

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: ROOT: Pros&Cons. (Experiences only)

I agree with out on this. This was the first phone that I would be happy with not rooting but my habits from the Galaxy Nexus carried over here. If I never crack flashed like it was going out of style with the GNex I probably wouldn't have rooted this phone so quickly. It all comes down to what you want to do with your phone.

This. I bet I tried every rom/kernel combo at the time when I had my gnex. Looking back now I see that nothing I did really improved battery life like I had hoped. So hence no real improvement.

---------- Post Merged at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:42 PM ----------

This. I bet I tried every rom/kernel combo at the time when I had my gnex. Looking back now I see that nothing I did really improved battery life like I had hoped. So hence no real improvement.

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Can I just say ONE thing? Oh..My GOODNESS!
I didn't think I could love my phone anymore!! I downloaded "creccaj1" AOKP build 3 JB and used the G7 post he made..after some tinkering and thinking(Common sense is all you need), it went by smoothly. Everything is fully functional, best speeds ive ever had and haven't even Overclocked yet. The best part is that these Rooted ROM's are updated, and not outdated like Android lets their phones get.

So to answer MY own questions:
?What did you use to root it?
Used the Debugfs method for G7(easy)
?Why did you root it?
No bloat, faster, and wanted the latest and greatest updates for my phone.
?What root/ROM are you running?
AOKP JB Build 3 (refer to "creccaj1" signature)
?How much more efficient is it. I. E. Battery, speed, and anything else
The battery is yet to be seen, speed is ALREADY amazing, and the no bloatware really makes a difference. Feels like a new phone
?Why did you RETURN to stock? (if applicable)

I would also like to thank "Skunkape60" for making it all possible with the 7-zip. And got my root rolling. Thank you both!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
does just removal of bloat speed the phone up?
im tempted to root but not flash a rom yet

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the Verizon bloat is as heavy now as it once was. Right off the bat during setup I told the Verizon employee I didn't use backup assistant and don't want to put my pin in... He gave me a funny look...

Disabling the crap that's there in app manager is just as efficient in my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38