Please tell me why the S3 is better than an iPhone.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
the International version does not beat the iphone 5. Also benchmarks do matter why would we act like they don't matter now when the iphone 5 comes out and beat all the android devices? this is the crap i'm talking about fanboyism going to a new low. First ppl like to throw benchmarks at apple fanboys faces but when apple is doing the winning benchmarks don't matter...WTF. Anyways this is the test AnandTech - The iPhone 5 Performance Preview now i'll wait for some tech noob trying to discredit Anandtech.

Read the forums, people have been saying benchmarks don't matter since I've been here

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Why I choose Android over the iPhone? Choice. So many choices. I started out wanting a physical keyboard so the iPhone was never in the running from day one...lol.

Why I would pick the GS3 over the iPhone? After getting the Droid X1....I just like bigger phones. I know the iPhone 5 is bigger than previous versions. But 4.3", 4.5" might be my preference. I handled an Incredible LTE and it seemed small. I like the custom UI's for what they bring to the table as far as uniqueness. And I like some of the features of Touchwiz and the GS3.

Android vs iOS? I just like the many customizations you can do to Android out the box. 2 years ago I changed the launcher on my Droid X1....my kids n their mother thought I had a new phone...lol. Didnt need to root, just get an app from the Market.

To me, its not so much one is better than the other....its about what you like, dont like......want, dont want. For me, Android is a better choice. So it depends on what you want in, from a phone.

Last edited:

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Now see, this is one area where Apple really shines. They don't release 50 devices a year. I honestly prefer their one device a year business model. 6 months is a long time in the tech world, but it's all about usability. Jelly Bean will only make the SGIII that much better.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The ip5 beat the dual core s3 but then international version beat the ip5 by a small margin. Regardless I'm not sure this makes much difference other than adding a feather into someone's ego cap.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums
Well even then none of the benchmarks show more than a slight difference so it's a small feather at best. :p But some people will use anything as a reason to say their device is better.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
What I really find most interesting here as an ex iPhone user is that many of you are claiming that benchmarks, and specs don't matter. More than likely when they don't tend to favor your device, and/or platform but the persona that most Android users tend to have is that it's all about specs. Even Samsung with their "it doesn't take a genius" ad seems to think it's all about the specs. When honestly it's always been about the usability of the device. Considering the average user doesn't even know what the specs of their device are. My 2 cents. :-/

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's does 720p, the iphone 5 doesn't though it claims it does

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Apple has never claimed its an HD screen.

And the resolution is irrelevant as long as the ppi is high. (Which is the only reason android devices went to 720p to begin with)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Apple has never claimed its an HD screen.

And the resolution is irrelevant as long as the ppi is high. (Which is the only reason android devices went to 720p to begin with)
Well it does make a difference though in terms of screen size, it looks better technically When playing a 720p video on a 720p screen size

Im not saying iPhone 5 is bad for movies, Im just stating a difference

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree with many of your points, but many are a personal preference ie: the battery thing is debatable and because you can swap batteries I give the nod to android every time.

Where I do find fault is in the comment above regarding the apps. People always say that the apple store is better and has more exclusive apps but whenever I ask which ones they are referring to I get little to no response. The fact of the matter is that Android is catching apple and will soon surpass them if things continue to grow at the current rate. The apple app dev kit is better than Android, but Google is working hard to correct this. Regardless, Android also has many exclusive apps, games and features that ios doesn't have. So please enlightened me with these must have apps that we are missing out on (and no nursing apps please as l doubt the OP will benefit from these)

There are some GREAT photography apps that are iOS only that I missed when I went to android. The apps on android have gotten better, but they're just not as good. It's not even the availability, it's the quality of the apps themselves.

And as for the sync app... why would anyone sync anything on android? I use Google music which syncs automatically for music. I use companion link to automatically sync my calendar and contacts from my desktop Outlook and if I want to put anything else on my phone I can just plug the phone in and drag the files onto my phone just like a USB stick. So, I'm not seeing the logic here.

If you're on a tiered data plan, google music isn't an option. Or, if you want your music to sound good it isn't an option either. And newer phones like the GS3 do not have a drag and drop option if you're on anything except windows.

And as for backing up app data, you can choose to backup all of your apps and settings to your Google account. No rooting needed. I just did a full reset on my phone and 2 tablets over the last couple of weeks and they all worked perfectly. All my apps were there after the reset. And there are also other apps that can keep a full list of your apps if you don't want to use the restore feature or root.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums
Backing up apps and app data are two different things. Apple's backups, including their new iCloud backups, actually backup in app data. So when your apps are restored, all of the data within the app, and the app's settings, are all restored too. Android doesn't do that.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The only drawback with thew iPhone compared to the GS3 is that its not necessarily caught up with the most latest tech that these newer phones have...Its not much changed from the 4S, and Apple is known for doing that with all their phones, which is the reason I don't like Apple...they want to do everything on their own

iPhone is only good when you jailbreak it, other than that, its pretty much a basic phone with a lot of apps
The GS3 is fully customizable right out the box but falls back in battery life and freezing

The GS3 with its powerful processor kind of fixes that but not really, but I mean it has a lot of the basic features not found in iPhone unless you get an app or jailbreak

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Now see, this is one area where Apple really shines. They don't release 50 devices a year. I honestly prefer their one device a year business model. 6 months is a long time in the tech world, but it's all about usability. Jelly Bean will only make the SGIII that much better.

I find that to be a double edged sword..sure with Apple, when you buy an iPhone you don't need to worry about another phone thats better being released in 1 month like Android. But each year iPhone is getting less and less innovative and more and more dull. In 2 years apple with go to a 4.5" and maybe notification toggles.

Apple really needs to breathe some fresh air into iOS. I used to get the iPod Touch every year but I'm so fed up with the stale OS that I'm selling my iTouch4 and passing on the 5.

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For the last few of months I have been using a GS3. I am a long time iPhone user. But after three month, I am close to deciding that I miss my iPhone too much.
Before I sell my GS3, I want to make sure that I have given it a fair chance to win me over.

I can see why the S3 initially impresses. It has a large screen (which is the main reason I wanted to try it in the first place), NFC, facial recognition. But I haven?t found these things to be as big a deal as I pictured.

So can anyone tell me what have I missed? What is it that makes you guys choose the S3 or Android over an iPhone? Thanks in advance...

So despite the fact this is pretty much a troll bait post, the answer is that the SGS3 is not better than the iPhone.

It's different.

My contention with this iPhone 5 vs SGS3 thing that keeps going on has been that they are targeted to different markets. When I got my Droid Bionic, I wanted a phone in the 4-4.3" range. Apple didn't make one; the 4S screen was too small for me.

So basically, I have to wonder at people comparing an SGS3 to a iPhone. You're comparing a 4.7" display phone to a 3.5" and now a 4" phone. Within the android world, there is absolutely nothing at 3.5" that holds a candle to the iPhone 4 or 4S. The HTC One S gets close to matching up with an iPhone 5 at 4", but still falls short. It is like Android owns the big screen phone market while Apple owns the smaller screen market.

There is no iPhone that has a 4.7" screen, so really if you want that big screen then you get the SGS3 or the HTC One X etc. if that is your main criteria.

The only other real consideration is apps and ecosystem. This is the big one and is personal preference. Apps cost money. You cannot run your iOS apps on Android or vice versa. Your apps can run on your tablet too - if you buy into the same ecosystem. Choose wisely.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I find that to be a double edged sword..sure with Apple, when you buy an iPhone you don't need to worry about another phone thats better being released in 1 month like Android. But each year iPhone is getting less and less innovative and more and more dull. In 2 years apple with go to a 4.5" and maybe notification toggles.

Apple really needs to breathe some fresh air into iOS. I used to get the iPod Touch every year but I'm so fed up with the stale OS that I'm selling my iTouch4 and passing on the 5.

Apple will never go 4.5in. Their marketing is about the phone fitting in everyone's hand comfortably. They see it as if you want a bigger screen get a ipad or one of their ipad mini's that are about to come out. From what I see they don't release new tech until it works right and don't kill the battery or screw the phone up. Just like they held off on LTE it killed the Thunderbolts battery so fast it was laughable.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well it does make a difference though in terms of screen size, it looks better technically When playing a 720p video on a 720p screen size

Im not saying iPhone 5 is bad for movies, Im just stating a difference

Ha uhm. No, no it doesn't. As long as the ppi is high and the aspect ratio is correct, there won't be any difference at all.