Please tell me why the S3 is better than an iPhone.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Lol well then.....my screen is still bigger :p hehe

This is a wasted argument. All new high end phones have nice screens. Even my SGS2 has a nice screen. Technology is now at a point of splitting hairs. Like the iPhone 5 screen buy one. Like a bigger screen on the SG3, buy one of those. The end.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
So despite the fact this is pretty much a troll bait post, the answer is that the SGS3 is not better than the iPhone.

It's different.

My contention with this iPhone 5 vs SGS3 thing that keeps going on has been that they are targeted to different markets. When I got my Droid Bionic, I wanted a phone in the 4-4.3" range. Apple didn't make one; the 4S screen was too small for me.

So basically, I have to wonder at people comparing an SGS3 to a iPhone. You're comparing a 4.7" display phone to a 3.5" and now a 4" phone. Within the android world, there is absolutely nothing at 3.5" that holds a candle to the iPhone 4 or 4S. The HTC One S gets close to matching up with an iPhone 5 at 4", but still falls short. It is like Android owns the big screen phone market while Apple owns the smaller screen market.

There is no iPhone that has a 4.7" screen, so really if you want that big screen then you get the SGS3 or the HTC One X etc. if that is your main criteria.

The only other real consideration is apps and ecosystem. This is the big one and is personal preference. Apps cost money. You cannot run your iOS apps on Android or vice versa. Your apps can run on your tablet too - if you buy into the same ecosystem. Choose wisely.

This.

I love my iPhone 4. I love my SGS3. I would have no qualms getting a iPhone 5. They are all excellent phones, it comes down to preference. Since I picked up my red SGS3 my hubby has been trying out my pebble blue one to see if he likes it more than his iphone 4. So far he's not sure. What I like, he finds frustrating.

Get the phone that works best for you. What works best for some won't for others.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This is a wasted argument. All new high end phones have nice screens. Even my SGS2 has a nice screen. Technology is now at a point of splitting hairs. Like the iPhone 5 screen buy one. Like a bigger screen on the SG3, buy one of those. The end.

I was kidding with my statement guy

In terms of argument, the iPhone 5 just lengthening the screen was a stupid decision to me...they say they wanna keep the phone comfortable to hold, but the rest of the phone is still so basic and un changed. Yeas some people like smaller screens, but you get a better watching experience with a bigger screen..there are a LOT of benefits about a bigger screen, and now when I hold and iPhone its too small...People just arrent really used to it yet....a phone doesnt have to be small, but user experience matters most, and I think the GS3 beats iPhone in temrs of user experience, besides the crashing apps. iPhone is more of a business phone.

btw...whats going on with iPhone 5 camera? It has a purple flare compared to the iPhone 4S...and u know Apples response?? "Take the picture a different way"....really?...This is why I am starting not to like Apple

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Yea the bigger screen for watching movies, using the web, playing games is just better to me on a bigger screen. A screen bigger than 4".

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

In terms of argument, the iPhone 5 just lengthening the screen was a stupid decision to me...they say they wanna keep the phone comfortable to hold, but the rest of the phone is still so basic and un changed. Yeas some people like smaller screens, but you get a better watching experience with a bigger screen..there are a LOT of benefits about a bigger screen, and now when I hold and iPhone its too small...People just arrent really used to it yet....a phone doesnt have to be small, but user experience matters most, and I think the GS3 beats iPhone in temrs of user experience, besides the crashing apps. iPhone is more of a business phone.

btw...whats going on with iPhone 5 camera? It has a purple flare compared to the iPhone 4S...and u know Apples response?? "Take the picture a different way"....really?...This is why I am starting not to like Apple

Ya I knew you were kidding. I wasn't necessarily referring to your comment :D. The size thing is a preference though. I have an employee who went back to iPhone 5 after having the Desire HD because he thought it was too big. He likes using one hand and was frustrated trying to move his thumb across the screen. He was a power user too and had rooted it etc. But didn't care much about widgets and customization etc. Personally I thought he was crazy and actually think he is already bored with his phone but doesn't want to admit it. It really seems like puny device even compared to my 4.3 in SGS2.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This.

I love my iPhone 4. I love my SGS3. I would have no qualms getting a iPhone 5. They are all excellent phones, it comes down to preference. Since I picked up my red SGS3 my hubby has been trying out my pebble blue one to see if he likes it more than his iphone 4. So far he's not sure. What I like, he finds frustrating.

Get the phone that works best for you. What works best for some won't for others.

How many phones do you have? Lol. IPhones, red and blue sgs3's? Must be nice.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

The 4S has purple flare too. Most phones do when you take a photo of a strong light source. Super expensive DSLRs do too. It's user error, which is why they responded the way they did. (Should be common sense not to take a picture of a really strong light source in-frame or just out of frame, but apparently it's not.)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The 4S has purple flare too. Most phones do when you take a photo of a strong light source. Super expensive DSLRs do too. It's user error, which is why they responded the way they did. (Should be common sense not to take a picture of a really strong light source in-frame or just out of frame, but apparently it's not.)

Lol. Wow. You are such a fanboy. Why are you on this forum? Are you paid by Apple to just constantly wave the iPhone flag at all costs? It sure seems that way from reading your posts. Why don't you go to imore.com and spend your time more wisely.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Lol. Wow. You are such a fanboy. Why are you on this forum? Are you paid by Apple to just constantly wave the iPhone flag at all costs? It sure seems that way from reading your posts. Why don't you go to imore.com and spend your time more wisely.

I don't even understand this post. He was saying something that's actually true. I'm gonna guess you quoted the wrong post.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I find that to be a double edged sword..sure with Apple, when you buy an iPhone you don't need to worry about another phone thats better being released in 1 month like Android. But each year iPhone is getting less and less innovative and more and more dull. In 2 years apple with go to a 4.5" and maybe notification toggles.

Apple really needs to breathe some fresh air into iOS. I used to get the iPod Touch every year but I'm so fed up with the stale OS that I'm selling my iTouch4 and passing on the 5.

Yeah you don't have to worry about a new better phone being released because usually it's already one out on release day.

Same with the 5, best phones today are
1 galaxy s III
2 HTC EVO LTE
3. Htc one x
4. Htc one s
5. Droid razr Mixx
6. IPhone 5

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Now see, this is one area where Apple really shines. They don't release 50 devices a year. I honestly prefer their one device a year business model. 6 months is a long time in the tech world, but it's all about usability. Jelly Bean will only make the SGIII that much better.

It's not really fair to say this because Android is an open system that all manufactures use. If you look at one manufacturer like Motorola or Samsung, each really only comes out with one flagship device each year. But, they also have midline and entry level phone for those people that are not on govt free phone plans and get given a free iPhone :) Sorry had to throw that in...

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
How many phones do you have? Lol. IPhones, red and blue sgs3's? Must be nice.

Up until a few months ago before I picked up the blue SGS3 I had a white BB Bold 9900, Nokia Lumia 710, and white iPhone 4, and my husband had his black iPhone 4. When I got my blue SGS3, I sold the 9900 and Lumia. I picked up the red one last week when it launched and already have a buyer lined up for my blue one if my husband doesn't like it. I sell wireless for a living so I change phones a lot. I always have one phone sitting in a drawer in case something happens to my primary.

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

It's not being a fan boy to point out that the flare is caused by a rookie photographic mistake. I can replicate purple flare on any digital camera if I want to. One of the first rules of photography (right after check the battery and before make sure the lens cap is off) is "don't point the camera directly at a bright light source".

Apple effed up the maps but the camera flare was user error being pawned off as an excuse to rag on Apple.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Because DROID mail drives me nuts. Try editing a forward before sending it. Or editing a quote in a reply.

Or forward part of a reply from a colleague sent to my home address to a customer from my work address.

This is important and common email workflow and Android simply does not support it.

I really don't understand what you're talking about, since I do that all the time. What exactly do you have problems with?

For example, I can take an email from my gmail (personal), hit forward, change the account so it sends it from my exchange (work) account instead, edit the original message just like editing anything else, and send it off fine.

Likewise I can open up an email, select part of it, copy it to my clipboard, and then compose a new mail with that part. I have zero issues doing any of this.

Of course you do mention "DROID" mail so I'm not sure what you're using. I'm just using the stock email client on my S3. But it works just fine. Maybe if you explained exactly what the issue it, I could help.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I love that this thread has remained positive and helpful. Quite a change on any ios vs android post imo.

Definitely personal usage will determine what platform you choose. I think a good example of this is by defining the general user vs the super user. I know lots of people that use android and love it but use very few features. My wife still uses a BlackBerry because she can't get enough of the keyboard. But she does very little with her phone. Browsing Facebook, texting and email is 95 percent of her total experience. She has a tablet and does the same. Laptop and desktop computers same thing. Due to this fact I never buy her any device that requires any real horsepower. She doesn't need it or notice it.

So i think that once you define your needs in a phone you will get a better picture of what is better for you. As one poster stated... Tell us what you miss in iOS and you may have your answer. If your S3 does more but doesn't feel right then all the other features are moot. It has to fit your personality and what you expect from a device. Everything else is just someone's opinion based on their needs.

Good luck.

lmao look how the thread has changed tone mate :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Even tho I have read and seen where the purple flare can be common, doesnt explain this:

Camera comparison: Apple iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 vs HTC One X vs Nokia Lumia 900 - Night Shots, Macro, Ease of use and speed

2nd n 3rd row of shots. Or this:

Apple iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S3 (Camera Test) Part 2 - YouTube

Starting at the 2: 56 mark, shows the iPhone 5 with purple halo issue while the GS3 doesnt have it.

And this:

Annoyed by the iPhone 5 purple lens flare issue? This case can fix it

The case says it all. Visual evidence says it all. Its common, not an issue, but there's a case that can fix the non issue. Someone did post a site that showed purple on the 4S, but it was plain to see the 4S wasnt as purple as the 5. Thats part of the point. If whatever lens or material Apple used causes it, I just lump it in with the black splotches of Amoled screens. If its software related, so be it. Btw.....when I tried to duplicate the purple on my RAZR pointed at a light bulb, I saw white or yellow...not purple...like in that first link I posted. Thats also part of the point. Every camera phone doesnt have this issue. Maybe the RAZR back gets rid of it. I see a lil raised ring around the lens

Last edited: