Please tell me why the S3 is better than an iPhone.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
ive never had to reset or even do a battery pull on my s3 in what... 5months :) if we'r talkin about phones and not o/s, the s3 is the most stable phone (not just smartphone) ive ever owned i think.... maybe equal with the Nokia 3210 :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
ive never had to reset or even do a battery pull on my s3 in what... 5months :) if we'r talkin about phones and not o/s, the s3 is the most stable phone (not just smartphone) ive ever owned i think.... maybe equal with the Nokia 3210 :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

I haven't done a battery pull yet either but I do from time to time have to reboot(restart) it. Things like ringtones will go out of whack or something small so thats why I do it.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i havent HAD to reboot i dont think but i like to do it every few days just because... just because lol :)

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
True HD is 1080p...so no phone does True HD. Also you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the iphone 5s resolution and the S3 resolution and anyone that knows about displays will tell you this. Now you'll see the difference in the display since the SG3 is pentile and uses AMOLED display and the iphone 5 uses IPS LCD screen. Test have shown the iphone 5 display is better and so has other benchmarks test.

Just to correct some misstatements... First, HD can be 1080p, 1080i or 720p. All formats are included within the 16x9 HDTV format and HD broadcast specifications. The S3 is 1280 x 720 pixels, and most definitely qualifies as a "True HD" device at 720p and 16x9 format. The iPhone 5 resolution is less at 1136 x 640 and since that's NOT a defined HD format, it can't directly display ANY HD content without scaling/interpolation - which takes significant processor power and results in a loss of image clarity.

Also, as for the iPhone 5 screen being better, the verdict on that is far from universal. Here's one review I read recently:

Screen

The Retina display on the iPhone 5 has now been increased to 4 inches with a 1136 x 640 pixel resolution. For the first time, Apple has included a widescreen display so there is no letter-boxing when watching movies. The IPS screen does display richer colors. However, when looking at a Super AMOLED screen on a Samsung device, the iPhone screen feels reductive.

The Galaxy S3 delivers a brilliant 4.8-inch display with a 720p pixel resolution that might be less than the other smartphones, but really undetectable with the human eye. The Galaxy S3 has a Super AMOLED display in which the screen looks at you more than you look at the screen. It is simply beautiful.

The winner: Galaxy S3

Samsung Galaxy S3 beats the iPhone 5 - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com

c_hack

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I use both a Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 4S and like switching back and forth. I've used Android since 2009 and iOS since 2011.

The bigger screen on the SIII is certainly a plus if you use it as a dash mounted GPS. I also like integrating quick menus into the notification drop down - very quick to switch on airplane mode, turn off GPS, bluetooth, etc. I really like using Beautiful's weather widget and live wallpaper to show me the weather - there's nothing like it on the iPhone. However, I've found some widgets have made some of my phones unstable - like the Droid X and X2. The Nexus with jellybean is relatively stable and has recovered from several misbehaving apps nicely - ones that would have crashed my DXs.

I like the fact that certain tasks will continue to run in the background on Android - podcasts will update periodically, RSS newsreaders will update in the background. iOS can't do that.

However, like you, I always miss the one handed use of my iPhone - you just can't do it even with the Nexus (and I have XL hands). The iPhone is much more comfortable to hold. I also like the icon tags on iPhone telling me how many messages, emails, tasks I have (I know there are Android ad ons to add tags - but they only work for a few apps). Many of the apps I use on the iPhone are either not available on Android, or lower quality - make sure to compare how your must-have apps compare on both devices. If you have an AppleTV, Airplay is also a great way to use your TV to show pictures, videos, apps and its incredibly easy to use.

I really like having one of each Android and iPhone so when I get sick of one I can switch. When one phone gets an update (iOS6 or JellyBean) you can try out all the cool new features.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
My experience has taught me that, not a study or a link you post. I used to have to reset my Android phone so often. I have been using my iPhone for months and not once I have had to reset or restart it, true story!

I haven't had to restart my Android but my iTouch would mess up so often. I was kinda glad when it fried.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Just to correct some misstatements... First, HD can be 1080p, 1080i or 720p. All formats are included within the 16x9 HDTV format and HD broadcast specifications. The S3 is 1280 x 720 pixels, and most definitely qualifies as a "True HD" device at 720p and 16x9 format. The iPhone 5 resolution is less at 1136 x 640 and since that's NOT a defined HD format, it can't directly display ANY HD content without scaling/interpolation - which takes significant processor power and results in a loss of image clarity.

Also, as for the iPhone 5 screen being better, the verdict on that is far from universal. Here's one review I read recently:

Samsung Galaxy S3 beats the iPhone 5 - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com

The point is the SG3 nor iphone does True/Full HD. 720p is not True/Full HD no matter how you spin it. Also you linked to someones opinion. Benchmarks that test the screens show other wise. You have to be a fool or tech noob to think a AOMLED that's pentile is going to look better then IPS LCD screen. Unlike most ppl here I don't try to justify my purchase of a SG3 and will admit when something is better.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a 4S, then an S3, and now an iPhone 5. So I'm going to chime in with my $1.72 (it's worth WAY more than 2 cents).

First and foremost, it depends on what you want in a phone. No one phone on this planet is perfect for everyone. The S3 is not without its issues, but it is a very smooth and fantastic phone. The iPhone 5, for me, is a disappointment. It is a 4S with an extra row of icons and 4G. I'm actively looking to sell it as we speak and go back to an S3 (partially because I can make a couple bucks, and money talks when you've got a baby on the way and bills to pay). The iPhone 5 seems to be barely an upgrade over the 4, which is over two years old. Sure there are internal changes, and some external ones, as well. But the overall look, feel, and performance isn't much different between the two. I completely understand if what you're looking for is an iPhone. By all means, get it. But I'm not at all impressed. And the screens, the S3 is better for me. Much brighter and clearer. The only place the iPhone wins is outdoor viewing.

But it is completely up to you and what you prefer.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
For the last few of months I have been using a GS3. I am a long time iPhone user. But after three month, I am close to deciding that I miss my iPhone too much.
Before I sell my GS3, I want to make sure that I have given it a fair chance to win me over.

If you've been using the thing for months and have yet to run into a compelling feature that makes you want to keep it, then I doubt any of us are going to somehow "save" you. What draws me to Android is the ability to customize everything from the launcher to the keyboard and make it MY Android, tailored to MY needs and preferences.

I liked an iPod Touch I used for a while as a toy (won it in a contest) but I found the screen WAY too small, I could not customize the keyboard to make it useable, and I just couldn't visualize trying to use a similar device as a daily cell phone. When our company decommissioned our Blackberries and gave us the choice of one of several Android models or an iPhone, I chose the largest-screen Android available (Thunderbolt). It's still not easy for me to type on, even with Swype, but it's a whole lot better than the Apple keyboard, and I've come to love widgets and all the other little things that make Android, Android.

But that's me. A few months is certainly giving a new platform a fair shot. If, after using one of the best phones Android has to offer for months, you still long for an iPhone, get what you think will make you happy.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
My experience has taught me that, not a study or a link you post. I used to have to reset my Android phone so often. I have been using my iPhone for months and not once I have had to reset or restart it, true story!

Every time I have had to restart my device it is only because I was doing something the iPhone could never dream of! Take for example earlier today when I was running FoxFi (free wireless tethering, try that on an iPhone) while I was updating 12 different apps (which causes Avast to fire up in the background scanning) and streaming Pandora! OF course doing all that is going to cause it to slow down and eventually crash (especially because FoxFi doesn't play well with my Razr after the ICS update) but the iPhone couldn't even do the multitasking it would take to have all these applications open at the same time! Also with JB there was a poster on XDA who had his N7 on for 1,001 hours which is something even most desktop / laptop computers would have problems with!

I would rather have the ability to run all the apps I want at the same time with the slight chance of causing a crash that results in the device restarting over the limit of only running 1 app at a time!

crackcookie

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Here is why people pick Apple: look cool and simple useage. Itunes is tied into everything

That is basicaally the reason people don't pick the iphone, they aren't trying to buy into the hype just want the latest and greatest.

Apple limits their phones to work out things, so wen something is there it is usually smooth.

But not everyone wants to be limited to using itunes, a certain size of gigs, or a certain screen. And I think jailbreaking voids the warranty right?

Isn't it great to know u don't have to use itunes, I don't want itunes on my laptoso annoying and such a resource hog.

evq.003

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I am not trying to be rude, however I will be blunt.
If after three months, you feel the need to ask why the S3 is better than an iPhone; it sounds to me just by asking the question, you will be far happier with an iPhone.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
No phone is better then the other. I think the iPhone is better for some people and the S3 is better for others.
I had iPhones since 3g then 3gs then 4 and 4s (I did make a short stay at BB). I recently got the S3 and LOVE it. I won't be going back to apple this year.
I like the customizations, i like widgets.. some say they get old after sometime...NO they don't .. what get's old?? it's like an that provides more info. it makes your phone more...You
The screen is perfect.. i use to think it will be to big.. but now i can't go smaller. I LOVE not having iTunes (i still use it for my iPod..but very rare)
i like to know that tomorrow i could get another device that runs android and have all my apps...im not stuck to one company.
It seems that Samsung is advancing faster with all these little extra features (smart stay, motions, NFC, etc) for now it's my phone of choice... Who know what i'll want tomorrow LOL

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
No phone is better then the other. I think the iPhone is better for some people and the S3 is better for others.
I had iPhones since 3g then 3gs then 4 and 4s (I did make a short stay at BB). I recently got the S3 and LOVE it. I won't be going back to apple this year.
I like the customizations, i like widgets.. some say they get old after sometime...NO they don't .. what get's old?? it's like an that provides more info. it makes your phone more...You
The screen is perfect.. i use to think it will be to big.. but now i can't go smaller. I LOVE not having iTunes (i still use it for my iPod..but very rare)
i like to know that tomorrow i could get another device that runs android and have all my apps...im not stuck to one company.
It seems that Samsung is advancing faster with all these little extra features (smart stay, motions, NFC, etc) for now it's my phone of choice... Who know what i'll want tomorrow LOL

Everything in this post is true for me as well lol

I HATE using iTunes for everything, I love that with my GS3, I just drag and drop music to my phone...When I had my iPhone, I hardly put music on my phone because of iTunes..now I have all my music on m phone, and with a MicroSD card its even better!

Apple limits their products (except for Mac) to basic features, forgetting that there are tech heads who want to do more. Apple hated the fact that people jailbroke their phones (and probably still do) but people jailbreak it because they want these features that should aready be on the phone. Android allows you to do all this without even rooting (Though rooting allows you to do even more)...This is why Android is better than Apple when it comes to user experience....As for speed and smoothness, I will give it to Apple, but thats all they really have if it wasn't for apps. The camera on iPhone doesnt even have effects or exposure settings or other things like that without an app, but these should be basic features. Apple is slowly slipping if they don't change their UI and increase the functionality of the phone. The UI is so boring now.

Maccorf

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Every time I have had to restart my device it is only because I was doing something the iPhone could never dream of! Take for example earlier today when I was running FoxFi (free wireless tethering, try that on an iPhone) while I was updating 12 different apps (which causes Avast to fire up in the background scanning) and streaming Pandora!

iPhones can't do free wireless tethering? Someone should have told me that when I was doing it on my iPhone 4S, that what I was doing was impossible! (jailbreaking opens up options, just like rooting.)

And this bring to light a huge issue I've had with the whole Android vs. iOS thing: ill-informed, biased opinions masquerading as fact. On both sides, but I have seen it on the Android side far more in recent time.

I am an ex-iPhone 4S user who recently switched to the Galaxy S3, and this question (which is better) really does come down to personal preference and use. However, there are things to consider, and here's a little list I've put together from my time with both (admittedly, my Galaxy S3 time is short):

-iOS works better out of the box in my experience. The first full day I used my S3, my battery drained from 100% to 9% in about 10 hours. I was at work and had only picked it up periodically. I found out that the phone defaults to tons of settings which put the phone in constant awareness mode, syncing and updating things all day, draining your battery dry. I had to tweak about 4-5 settings, and now it's fine, but for a normal user, this is an issue, in my opinion.
-iPhones work better for one-handers. I am a one-hander, and my hands are pretty big (I'm 6'4"), so the S3 took a bit to get used to without using two hands. I've got it well now, but I still feel like I might drop it using it with one hand sometimes, from awkward finger movements.
-Android is way more customizable, and it's fun to mess with the screens and widgets to find a layout that works for you. Whether or not this is actually more functional or productive is doubtful to me, however, it's really just cosmetic. We're talking about fractions of seconds between seeing something on the screen and having to press an icon to see it. You definitely get a far greater sense of personalization with Android, however.
-The screen on the S3 is really nice and the extra size is something you get used to really quickly. Going back to an iPhone 4S makes it look so cramped. However, the colors on the iPhone are truer in my opinion; the galaxy oversaturates, particularly yellows and yellow-greens.
-I've played with the iPhone 5, and its just as fast as the S3 in my opinion. It's actually faster in some cases, namely when switching apps, and connecting to data networks. My S3 can be zippy, but things like Maps slow it down to a crawl until it reserves it's resources completely, sometimes a couple minutes into using the app. I haven't had that problem in any Maps on an iPhone before, not to that extent.
-Depending on your preference, microUSB could be a positive or negative for the S3. It's definitely more ubiquitous, but I personally think Apple made the right decision with improving the connector. MicroUSB can only exchange data and charge, while the Lightning port can control the device like the previous one, plus it's more efficient at providing a charge. It's simply better than microUSB in my opinion, and had to change at some point; the gripes about it are completely misguided.
-If you use iTunes, the iPhone is definitely a better choice to sync with it, especially with the use of iTunes match (flawed but functional). However, I was not really a part of Apple's ecosystem, having only purchased a few music albums from iTunes, and so the switch was not difficult. This comes down to whether you have a stake in Apple's ecosystem. I recently uploaded my iTunes library to Google Music, and it workds great as well. This is preference.
-App selection. The Google Play store is simply not as robust as the iTunes store, and high-quality, high-production-value apps are more likely to be on the Apple app store than Google Play. This depends on what apps you typically use the most, many work for both systems, but there will be some that you can't find from one or the other. In my experience, the Apple app store had more high-quality exclusives.
-Speaking of the Maps experience I previously mentioned, Apple Maps is definitely struggling, so the Google Maps app is a superior option, and the Google navigation (when it finally loads) is really brilliant and completely replaces the need for a GPS. Apple Maps will get better, but Google Maps is way ahead.
-Minor Gripe: the S3 did not have group messages by default! I had to download a replacement text messaging app to get it, which works great, but I've never had to use a third party texting app with an iPhone before.
-Minor Gripe: Samsung voice control offering is not good. It's slow and doesn't work very well for me. That being said, Siri is nothing special either.
-Minor Gripe: the iPhone 5 doesn't have the native toggle switch bar that Android does, which has really come in handy for me when trying to quickly turn off/on wifi, gps, bluetooth, etc.

Hope this helps a bit, the experience from a non-fanboy recent switcher.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
anyone know if the OP decided to sell? have they posted since the op lol?
cba lookin back through the thread.. maybe theyre usin an ip5 forum now and we're chattin to ourselves :)

@maccorf, the toggle bar isnt native to android mate, just Touchwiz

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you don't have to worry about a new better phone being released because usually it's already one out on release day.

Same with the 5, best phones today are
1 galaxy s III
2 HTC EVO LTE
3. Htc one x
4. Htc one s
5. Droid razr Mixx
6. IPhone 5

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I think my Epic is better than the HTC one s maybe not the x but the s for sure

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
anyone know if the OP decided to sell? have they posted since the op lol?
cba lookin back through the thread.. maybe theyre usin an ip5 forum now and we're chattin to ourselves :)

@maccorf, the toggle bar isnt native to android mate, just Touchwiz
EDIT: if youre talkin about the one in not' bar and not the widget ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I think my Epic is better than the HTC one s maybe not the x but the s for sure

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

whats the new Moto with Intel chip set mate? just saw a tv ad for it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress