Please tell me why the S3 is better than an iPhone.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I can use my 7 inch Nexus 7 one handed but I can understand that you might miss the smaller screen. I did feel the same way coming to my tablet from an (old) iPod touch but I've got used to the larger size and would never go back. Hope you keep the S3 as I think you'll get used to it soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Agreed.
Going from my Droid Incredible (one of the best android devices ever made) to the larger GNEX took a week or so to adjust to.
Gave the DINC to my mother and had to configure something for her and I was over swyping my thumb thinking I had more real estate to work with lol!

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
lol you should see the UK ip5 commercial mate.. it goes on about how your thumb can touch every part of the screen one handed, how thats "no coincidence" and ends with the punch "common sense" *puke*

me too btw, can touch everything 1handed with a case on and my hands are pretty average i think, kinda monkeyish but average overall :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

I'm a girl, I have an octave and a key reach on a piano with my right hand, but I can't touch the home key with my right thumb when holding it like the other poster, nor can I dial or type one handed, nor can I touch the in box icon in Gmail. I have almost dropped the phone a bunch of times and I do find it frustrating but I'm learning to live with it.

I wish Samsung had decided to copy Apple on the one handed usability part when it was so busy ripping off design cues from Apple (yes, I think the i9000M was a rip off of the iPhone, and not the only thing Samsung has copied).

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Using two hands the SIII is AWESOME, but I have to use it single handed a bunch of times. I wish someone came out with a "single hand mode" that shrunk everything down into the lower right hand area of the phone for times when you want to use it single handed. I mean all that would be needed is a mode switch that made the phone think it had a smaller screen like the S3mini. That way we would have the best of both worlds.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm a girl, I have an octave and a key reach on a piano with my right hand, but I can't touch the home key with my right thumb when holding it like the other poster, nor can I dial or type one handed, nor can I touch the in box icon in Gmail. I have almost dropped the phone a bunch of times and I do find it frustrating but I'm learning to live with it.

I wish Samsung had decided to copy Apple on the one handed usability part when it was so busy ripping off design cues from Apple (yes, I think the i9000M was a rip off of the iPhone, and not the only thing Samsung has copied).

strange.. im not double jointed lol and can type and reach home button 1handed if i have to. i was already in habit of typing with two thumbs though so i usualy use two hands.
yeah iphone is that size for that reason but other than making a strange shaped screen... thats just the price you pay for a bigger screen.
its defo not something anyone should complain about lol :)
if i had a busy life where 1handed is essential, id never have bought such a big phone ;)

ps if you think the s1 was an iphone copy, you should see my mums new Galaxy Ace lol, it looks SO like an ip4.
the big screen of the s3 is hardly a design flaw like youre implying lol :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Try running SIP on an iphone, lol. My prof. says, if you have an Android device, DL a SIP app. If you have an iphone.....I can't help you there! lol! If you don't know what SIP is, Google it! ;)

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm right handed, and I can reach the top left of my notification bar on here. Not to mention when I type on my N7 in portrait mode, my palms are resting on the sides, but I can stretch my thumbs enough where they can eventually overlap.

And I have small hands too. :p

Sent from my HTC One X

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I use my GS3 one handed almost all the time. With Swype, it makes it even easier. I love the bigger screen size. As I get older, my eyes are getting worse. The extra screen real estate helps a lot. The iPhone 5 is a good device but doesn't suit me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I never saw that commercial. In general I tend not to watch Apple commercials, not because I am a hater but because I already know everything about their products. Maybe my problem is how I am holding the phone. When using one handed I tend to have the phone wedged into my palm with my pinky and index finger tip on the left side of the phone (to hold it firmly in my palm). In this manner my thumb can not reach all the way over. Similarly, if I hold by the bottom my thumb can't reach the top. If I hold higher up, I can't reach the home or menu key without hitting something on screen. If however I hold the phone less securely, in other words just resting in my palm with my index and pinky finger tips on the bottom of the phone I can reach everything. Unfortunately in that position I am always afraid that the phone will fall out of my hand.

PLEASE if you have a suggestion let me know. I really want to keep this phone!

So, to quote the late Steve Jobs, you are holding it wrong? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
actually that's weak comparison and didn't go over much compared to other sites. It also doesn't help that it has Samsung ads plastered all over it. My Apple fanboy friend that's trying to get me to move over to ios sent me this new review from anadtech AnandTech - The iPhone 5 Review actually has more benchmarks and data. I didn't need it since I already know the iphone 5 is a beast of a phone and can admit it, but even if I wanted to switch I'm stuck in a contract with the S3 and don't want to fork money over on another phone. I wish the US would had got the quad core phone instead of dual core.

Only a review site would care how fast a benchmark is. People run apps, they don't run benchmarks, except early on.

The big factor is what you can do with the S3 compared to an iPhone. First of all, if you don't like the included e-mail program, you can download one you prefer. There is no lock-down that says you MUST run the core programs that come with the device. Widgets may not seem like a big deal, until you start using them and get used to having them available for you to customize your phone with, then it becomes a no brainer.

Having 2GB of RAM really helps as well for running multiple apps. Unlike the iDevices, apps that are not on the screen are not just sitting there suspended, so it DOES help for some things. The Task Switcher isn't some ancient looking POS that just has a list of icons with an X on them to close as well, but is far more elegant. For the most part, if you look at how you USE the phone, the S3 blows the iPhone 5 out of the water.

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
So, to quote the late Steve Jobs, you are holding it wrong? Sorry, couldn't resist.
I have been practicing very hard to do this one handed since I don't want to return the phone. I CAN do everything one handed IF I am sitting/standing and have the phone resting on my fingers instead of my palm. The problem is that when I am sitting/standing still is not when I need to use it single handed. It's when I am walking (usually fast walking )on the street, at the airport, on to catch a train. Under those circumstances, having the phone just rest on my fingers instead of cradled in my palm and held on both sides is not a workable solution. The phone will fall off my fingers.

On a related note, has anyone gotten Skype to work on this? It keeps crashing on mine. I travel a lot internationally, and work with people overseas so I use Skype almost as much as I use the cell phone. When in the office, it's not an issue because I use my computer, but at the airport, train, street I need Skype on the SIII to work.

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
strange.. im not double jointed lol and can type and reach home button 1handed if i have to. i was already in habit of typing with two thumbs though so i usualy use two hands.
yeah iphone is that size for that reason but other than making a strange shaped screen... thats just the price you pay for a bigger screen.
its defo not something anyone should complain about lol :)
if i had a busy life where 1handed is essential, id never have bought such a big phone ;)

ps if you think the s1 was an iphone copy, you should see my mums new Galaxy Ace lol, it looks SO like an ip4.
the big screen of the s3 is hardly a design flaw like youre implying lol :)

I think it's perfectly fair for people to complain that they can't use a phone one handed. I have poor eyesight even with glasses on and that's why I went with a phone this size. All they had to do was make the phone a smidgen taller and less wide and problems solved.

I loathe swype. Not an option.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I would hate this phone if it was taller. for me this size and shape is great. I don't have big hands but the rounded shape makes it so much easier to handle.
There's the S3 mini that is said to be coming out...maybe something to consider?

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I have been practicing very hard to do this one handed since I don't want to return the phone. I CAN do everything one handed IF I am sitting/standing and have the phone resting on my fingers instead of my palm. The problem is that when I am sitting/standing still is not when I need to use it single handed. It's when I am walking (usually fast walking )on the street, at the airport, on to catch a train. Under those circumstances, having the phone just rest on my fingers instead of cradled in my palm and held on both sides is not a workable solution. The phone will fall off my fingers.

On a related note, has anyone gotten Skype to work on this? It keeps crashing on mine. I travel a lot internationally, and work with people overseas so I use Skype almost as much as I use the cell phone. When in the office, it's not an issue because I use my computer, but at the airport, train, street I need Skype on the SIII to work.

I have had Skype on it and it worked fine... but since Microsoft made it spyware I prefer something more open-source.

As for your finger issue, when you update to jb you can use the improved voice recognition for all your typing needs... works offline too.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

I think it's perfectly fair for people to complain that they can't use a phone one handed. I have poor eyesight even with glasses on and that's why I went with a phone this size. All they had to do was make the phone a smidgen taller and less wide and problems solved.

Lol. Yes I've used Skype for a voice call with this....not a big Skype user, but it did work the one time I tried it.

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had Skype on it and it worked fine... but since Microsoft made it spyware I prefer something more open-source.
As for your finger issue, when you update to jb you can use the improved voice recognition for all your typing needs... works offline too.
I'll try reinstalling Skype (no other option since everyone I need to talk to uses it, sort of a corporate standard).
As for using voice, that never seemed to work for me in noisy environments, not to mention I don't want anyone "listening in" on my conversations :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

it is unfair to complain because they knew what they were buying.
i also have bad eyes so id have no right to complain if i bought a 4" phone lol ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I would hate this phone if it was taller. for me this size and shape is great. I don't have big hands but the rounded shape makes it so much easier to handle.
There's the S3 mini that is said to be coming out...maybe something to consider?

the Mini really shouldnt have the "s3" badge imo.
its too underpowered :(
im rather just get an s2 :)