No difference between Class 4 an 10 card?

jamesino

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
When I first got the phone, I bought a SanDisk MicroSD Class 4 16Gb card. My phone is unrooted and unmodded.

Recently, I took advantage of the discounts on Amazon and bought a SanDisk MicroSD Class 10 UHS-1 32GB card. After loading music, images, and movies on the card, I notice literally no difference (aside from the capacity of course) between this card and my old Class 4 card.

The read speed when I load songs/movies/images are exactly identical. Taking vids and photos feel the same too when I write them to the memory card. The only differnce i've noticed is a slight increase in write speed when I transfer files over to the card through USB on my comptuer.

Is this normal?

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I think it's perfectly normal. The Read/Write capabilities are always exaggerated by people (even me). The thing is a card reader on a phone can't live up to one on a PC. So the biggest performance improvements you would see is when transferring files from/to the card and computer.

There can be many circumstances for your experience. The class label means the minimum speed is x mb/s. So a class 4 or 6 can have the speed of a class 10. It's just that it only guarantees 4 & 6 mb/s minimum. From what I remember unless you bought the $100-200 microSD from SanDisk the other ones only have a right speed of 10 mb/s. In order to get more your device needs to be UHS-1 compatible. That standard is fairly new and I believe there is no phone or tablet that can utilize the full speed of a UHS-1 card.

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I think it's perfectly normal. The Read/Write capabilities are always exaggerated by people (even me). The thing is a card reader on a phone can't live up to one on a PC. So the biggest performance improvements you would see is when transferring files from/to the card and computer.

There can be many circumstances for your experience. The class label means the minimum speed is x mb/s. So a class 4 or 6 can have the speed of a class 10. It's just that it only guarantees 4 & 6 mb/s minimum. From what I remember unless you bought the $100-200 microSD from SanDisk the other ones only have a right speed of 10 mb/s. In order to get more your device needs to be UHS-1 compatible. That standard is fairly new and I believe there is no phone or tablet that can utilize the full speed of a UHS-1 card.

That is what I was told and believed however someone on the Galaxy Note forums posted this YouTube video showing that at least the note could utilize class 10 speeds (missing it by .1Mb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT87613pbVo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jamesino

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I downloaded the app, SD Tools, and the result I got for my card was:

Write: 10 Mb/s
Read: 37.5 Mb/s

So I guess it does meet the Class 10 standards.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
must say i notice no difference between my class 4 and sandisk ultra... and the s3 has habit of killing class 10s.
wish id just got a lower class 64gb instead

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

hunterx82

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
must say i notice no difference between my class 4 and sandisk ultra... and the s3 has habit of killing class 10s.
wish id just got a lower class 64gb instead

The expansion slot wasn't really a deciding factor in buying the SG3 but I didn't know it could have a 64gb SD card?? I just assumed it was 32 for some reason. That's serious stuff. Maybe with so much space I will take advantage of it :)

Tarant

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Just because the card is a class 10 doesnt mean that a device can take advantage of the speed.

I went with a class 10 64gb since it was Sandisk, was $55 with free shipping and i use the card in both a digital camera and a gopro. When iam taking and downloading videos having a class10 can make a difference. On my phone not so much.

Also keep in mind folks sd cards are often counterfeited, so buy from a reputable source.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
mine is defo from a rep' source and theres an app (cant remember name) to test for fakes.
think i only bought class10 because i thought torrents would download faster to it but i was wrong.
if my s3 eats it, il ask sandisk for a class4 64gb card as replacement :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
theres several threads here mate and all over google. its a widely known bug and samsungs answer is "well you didnt use a samsung sd"
im sorry but its a universal sd slot!
aparently the sd suppliers replace fried ones without a problem though, just keep it backed up bro :thumbup:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Its been stated for a few years that with out some hackery Android doesn't do class 10. Class 6 is the sweet spot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

lesorkim

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I think what would be really useful to this discussion is to know what the minimum speed neccessary is to do the "Burst" shots, and to record in HD video, and play back any media. WHAT IF... the top speed required for any function on this phone is only 2 MB/sec, meaning that not only is the elevated performance of a Class 10 card not neccessary, but that even the top performance of a Class 4 card is not needed.

AND... just because you have a utility that says it can write a video at a certian speed, what you really need is the ability to choke the available speed down and see what the slowest you can successfully record a video at. What if 1.5 MB/sec is ample speed to record in the highest resolution possible?

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
what he said ^^^
i bought class10 just to be fancy :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty