SD Cards failing in Galaxy S3: Samsung's insane response.

Timhuynh75

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue. I am using Sandisk 64GB sd on my lovely new samsung note 3, and it got same issue from many people experience with there 32GB. For instant, pictures show a big question mark, and some pictures you can see, and some you just can't. It is randomly errors. Any idea how to fix that ? thanks

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Any idea how to fix that?
1. Contact SanDisk to see if you have one of their 'fixed' batch of SD cards
2. Reformat the SD card in the phone
3. If that doesn't pan out, use one of the recommended utilities and reformat the SD card on your PC
4. Try a Samsung SD card - I haven't had any problems since I got mine

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

visiperl

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Add me as another user to the long list. And to back up some of the others, this is NOT just a SanDisk problem. The first card was a SanDisk 16gb. The second was a Samsung 64gb. I will purchase 1 more card and after that I will determine whether I take action against Samsung. My first card has worked flawlessly through usage on 2 phones, a few weeks after putting it in the Note 2, it died beyond recognition. A couple of weeks after I put the 64gb it started showing "Blank SD card" and would not recognize the card.

So Samsung, get ready cause there's going to be a backlash from your failure to recognize the issue is the device hardware not the SD card.

Good Luck
visiperl

derk

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Add me as another user to the long list. And to back up some of the others, this is NOT just a SanDisk problem. The first card was a SanDisk 16gb. The second was a Samsung 64gb. I will purchase 1 more card and after that I will determine whether I take action against Samsung. My first card has worked flawlessly through usage on 2 phones, a few weeks after putting it in the Note 2, it died beyond recognition. A couple of weeks after I put the 64gb it started showing "Blank SD card" and would not recognize the card.

So Samsung, get ready cause there's going to be a backlash from your failure to recognize the issue is the device hardware not the SD card.

Good Luck
visiperl

Good luck. I went through rounds with ATT and Samsung. ATT did send me a replacement S3 device but the problem came back. Samsung told me that it was the micro sd cards (PNY, Kingston and Sandisk) that I was using. They told me to get a Samsung micro sd card.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Another card failure. :(
This, 45 days after my first failure.

I hope this is not a sign of phone degradation.
I haven't even had it six months.
I've actually been quite happy with the function and features of my S3 other than the card coming up blank.

Jim Sink1

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I also had TWO COOK in my new 2 week old Samsung S3... one was a 16gb Samsung card the other a no branded 32GB card...A Transcend 16GB card works ok in it for now....The phone was giving me "Card Damaged" message, would not even work on my computer or a Tascam recorder after the S3 burnt them up!!

dailydoss

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Another for the list...

Worryingly this is with a SAMSUNG 32GB Class 10 SD Card. :(

since I've had my S3 I got a 32GB Samsung Class 10 SD Memory card for it.

Inserted all fine first time and have been using it 14 months without an issue. I have filled about 27GB up with over 7000 Photos and a couple of movies.

A couple of days ago I got a warning triangle in the notification bar saying something about the memory card.. I ignored it, checked my photos were all there (Which they were) and carried on.

Later on I checked my phone and there was no sign of my memory card album in gallery and in the settings for memory it's saying 'Insert SD Card' when it's already inserted

I've taken it out, given it a blow ect and nothing is reviving it.

Gutted.

Grypsgirl

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I had a 32 gig card fail and just thought it was bad luck with the card. Maybe? Maybe not? I actually returned my phone and had to get a "like new" replacement just after having the phone for 4 months because of this. My phone kept telling me sd card unmounted, then remounted, insert sd card, no sd card, etc... until it fried my card. I didnt want to take a chance on purchasing another card and losing my pics again so I sent my brand new phone back and had to get one of their pos replacements thats now not reading the power connector. I lost 2800 irreplaceable pics. I was not aware that there are different class of sd cards, so I ask which are the better ones to buy and does anybody know if there is any relation to a certain class of card failing more than others in this phone? Thanks.

Camera Mike

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Same problem - 32 G worked for a while then quit - all data still on the card - phone just does not see the card. tried different brands of cards does not seem to matter. Changed the SIM/SD board on the phone - $10 on ebay.. still same problem..
When a card works for a while then quits can never get that card to work again in the phone - works on my PC reader but not in the phone.
I think there is something getting fried on the card by the phone.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I lost 2800 irreplaceable pics
In the future, you may want to consider something like:

Drive Photo Uploader: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.mynextandroid.drivephotosync - automatically upload your pictures to your Google Drive

Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos - automatically upload pictures/videos to the cloud; 5GB free

Dropsync: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.ttxapps.dropsync - automatically sync your pictures to Dropbox

I'm sure you can find other apps if you don't like those or if you use different cloud services.
so I ask which are the better ones to buy
Samsung cards seem to have better luck, although I've seen failures reported with them too. And I'd stay away from any 64GB cards, period.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Wendy Cooper1

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Over the past two days, my SGs3 was telling me my PNY 4gig sd card was in need of reformatting. I never clicked the button to reformat, because it said it was going to delete all information on the card if I did that... Then, the phone was telling me that the card is loose in the slot (or something to that effect) and I needed to check it. I looked, and it was in there tighter than tight. I decided to back-up my sd card today onto my laptop, and with using 3 adapters, the card isn't being read at all. Seems like I have lost a couple hundred family photos taken over the past few months since I've had my phone.
Beyond bummed.

So, after reading through a few of these posts here, am I to assume that the PHONE ruined this PNY sd card, or did the card fail on its own??

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
am I to assume that the PHONE ruined this PNY sd card, or did the card fail on its own??
Let's just say that it's pretty uncommon for SD cards to fail on their own - draw your own conclusions based on the large number of problems reported.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

mjtaryan

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've got a similar, but not identical, issue on two of my Samsung devices (Note 2 and Tab2 7.0). I purchased two Sandisk Ultra 64gb class 10 microsd cards. Both are recognized by the devices, but when I try to create a folder or copy a file I get an "Access denied" message.

When I remove the card and use a reader and attach it as USB Mass Storage, the card works fine. I can't try it in another phone, like my Evo, because their limit is 32gb. Since it works as mass storage but not as an extSdCard, it doesn't sound like the card is the issue. Perhaps the way the device's microsd card reader is configured?? Oh, yes, the card does work fine in my Note 10.1! More evidence that it is the devices and not the card??

At any rate, I've tried everything I can think of to fix the problem without success; formatting in each of the devices, formatting as mass storage via USB, formatting with a highly rated utility from the play store. I even tried the "Protect SD card" as suggested near the beginning of this thread. Nothing I've tried has worked. So, what do I do, besides complaining to Samsung, which sounds like they are in "Access denied" (denial) mode? (Sorry for that last convoluted sentence).

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Nothing I've tried has worked.
Have you tried putting them in the SD card reader on your computer and formatting them as FAT32?

What OS version are your two devices running - 4.4.x?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Philippe Bousquet

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I had the same situation last February 2014 with my S3 GT-i9300 (international).
I went on a trip to Australia and lost many pics & videos.... really anoying.
I worried about Samsung not doing anything! They should pay for a new SD card (mine was a 64GB SanDisk - not cheap) and recover the lost files.

I really don't know if I will stay with Samsung after this poor customer experience.
I have been defending Samsung against Apple but now I will consider it.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
What brand is the SD card?
It's a known problem with Sandisk cards.
If it's a new card, it might be NOS.

AC App on SGS3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty