SD Cards failing in Galaxy S3: Samsung's insane response.

0pk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
oh man "bet u know where this is going" lol nice :beer:

so the tens or hundreds of people on this forum alone are liars?

this is what ive been saying.. theres CLEARLY a problem with micro sd on the s3 and a problem with bad batches of glass.
why cant a site this prominent come together and do something about things like this instead of bein called liars or thier classic "these sites may look official but arent" lol

youd be aswell going to Chatbot.com lol :)

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

Yep everyone here lies

Posted via Android Central App

Maaksman

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I had the same error and tried everything that's suggested here and nothing worked.

This Solution worked for me. . .

Step 1: Remove the SD card from the Phone
Step 2: While the slot on the phone is empty, press on the slot on the phone. Not too hard to damage but enough to bend the metal slightly inward. For some reason over time the SD card slot gets loose and the card does not have good contact inside. Hence the card is unreadable. Since the card is not dismounted properly, it's not read on the computer either. So you have to fix it on the phone before putting it back in the computer to copy/backup data.

Step 3: Place the SD card back in and make sure it's snug. Restart the phone and it should work normally again!

Hope this helps someone . . .

Cheers!

Maaksman

bcgrote

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
When I got my GS3 a few years ago, I carefully read the documentation. It can only handle up to a 16 gig card.

My phone has been acting up as well lately, and a friend said I may need to change the card, they can degrade over time and the phone will continually reset trying to read it. Still copying data to the new card, so we'll see.

Still considering getting the Note 4 in a month...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When I got my GS3 a few years ago, I carefully read the documentation. It can only handle up to a 16 gig card.
Not sure where you got that information - the S3 will support up to a 64GB SD card. I had one for a short while, then replaced it with a 32GB card than I've been using for almost two years.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

D4M4G3D

May 7, 2012
Visit site
From what I can gather (via the interwebs and 20+ years as a hardware tech) is that the worst conditions for this to happen exist when using a SanDisk class 10 card, and performing some operation on it with Kies. I have personally lost 2-3 cards this way. The first time I just assumed it was a card going bad (as they do sometimes). The second time I thought it a little fishy, but realized that lightning can strike the same micro SD card twice. I have now experienced the third card's demise, in exactly the same scenario:

1. SanDisk MicroSD (or other Class 10...once it was a PNY)
  2. Transferred to or from the card with Kies
  3. card was instantly bricked

I'll even give the guy you talked to the benefit of the doubt on the boilerplate disclaimer, but this is a serious problem that a lot of people experienced. It is kind of insulting to one's customers to brush them off like that. I'm seeing it more and more from many large corporations. It is a little disheartening when people can't be compensated for a known issue (or at least get a swap-out so that Samsung can have the damaged cards to find out what went wrong...unless they already know).

The whole thing ind of reminds me of:
A times B times C equals X. This is what it will cost if we don't initiate a recall.
—FIGHT CLUB
Chuck Palahniuk

Twangmonster

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy A3 from the 3 store, and then went to Currys and bought a 32GB class 10 MicroSDHC from PNY to put in it.
The phone refused to even recognise that there was a card in.
I've tried an old Kingston 8GB and a Samsung 2GB microSD, and both were recognised instantly

I'm reformatting the PNY in my PC as I type in the hope that that will help, but I doubt it, as the 32GB PNY is recognised by the computer and seems to work properly there.

Bemused :/