S3 charging time!!

Martin Pigeon

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello Does any one know how long a S3 should take to charge....Mine has been on for 3 hours and only 14%.... was on for about 8hours over night and still wasnt full???!!!
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT :)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello Does any one know how long a S3 should take to charge....Mine has been on for 3 hours and only 14%.... was on for about 8hours over night and still wasnt full???!!!
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT :)

That's not right. It should be fully charged in 3 hours. Are you using the charger & cable that came with the phone or a third-party one? If it's the one that came with the phone, try a different charger and see if there is any difference. If there is, then your charger is bad. If not, maybe it's a bad battery or bad USB port on the phone.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
A couple of hours is typical for me with a completely dead battery. You might want to consider doing a factory reset and see if that helps.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Are you charging off an AC charger or a computer? That rate is too slow for either, but using a computer's USB port will take more than twice as long as charging from the standard AC charger.

Before doing a factory reset (which will delete all your apps and data -- I don't know why so many people think that's the first thing you should try), check a couple of other things:

Has it always been this slow, or is this something new? Samsung's have been known to ship with crappy cables, so if possible try a different one.

Try a different charger. Any micro USB charger should work.

If you're using a computer's USB port, try the AC charger, or a different USB port / different computer.

If none of that helps, shut it down, pull the battery, wait a few minutes, then put the battery back in and reboot.

If, after all of that, it's still not charging with the Samsung charger and USB cable, take it back where you got it. It's either a bad charger, cable, or battery.

raf24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
i had the same problem with my 2 month old s3, It would take up to 10 hours to fully charge but then i noticed something: I looked at the usb pins of the cord, one was missing, whereas my old nokia usb cable had all the pins, so i tried the nokia cord with the samsung charger and it went back to 2 hrs of charging time. SO CHECK THE CORD FOR ANY MISSING PIN , AND TRY ANOTHER CORD AND YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

alexj77

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I think I found the problem as to why mine was charging slow.
Make sure the USB end is unplugged from the charger BEFORE plugging the phone end. After plugging into the phone, plug the USB to the charger while the charger is into the wall. Not sure why but the sequence is Important and affects charging rate big time.

Alex

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Also, besides all the good info above, make sure you don't have any battery sucking apps running while you try to charge. There are some apps that can sometimes use more juice than a charger can put out. Just a thought...

SheryLyresh

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for your post.. I've been experiencing the same problem and when i saw this post, i try to look at my cord and you're right.. Mine was also missing of one pin.. I will try to check other cord and hope charging will do well after this..

night01

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Mine was missing a pin, so maybe that is the reason for the very slow charging? Not yet sure though, I'm now going to buy a new cable.

Nam Pha To

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot. I had the same problem of charging time with my two month old Galaxy S3. Many people say because update from 4.0 to 4.1 so error happens. But I have followed your guide of replacing the charging cord and now charging time is ok. Thank you again.
[email address removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I think I found the problem as to why mine was charging slow.
Make sure the USB end is unplugged from the charger BEFORE plugging the phone end. After plugging into the phone, plug the USB to the charger while the charger is into the wall. Not sure why but the sequence is Important and affects charging rate big time.

Alex
That hasn't been a problem for me. I plug the charger in, then the phone.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.

egsalmani

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. I tried using a different cable and its still the slow charging of the battery. It was plugged the whole night and charged only 15%. Any suggestions please?

soinept

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
As the actress said to the bishop, the problem is not the way you plug it in; it's what you are plugging it into.

To avoid inadvertently cooking things, the USB standard limits the current available at a USB port to 500 mA (0.5 amps)

The S3 needs more than 500 mA. Other Samsung devices require, and can survive, a much higher current (eg both the Tab 10.1 and the Note 10.1 need 2 amps).

Many cheap after-market chargers, either mains or cigarette lighter, only supply 0.5 amps. Many have crappy contacts, or tiny conductors.

Samsung devices can detect high-capacity chargers, and allow higher currents. They do this by sensing the voltage at the 4 wires in the USB cable.

The "charging" icon may display a red alarm mark indicating insufficient, or excessive, charging current.

It is possible to bodgy-up a USB adaptor-cable to fool the Samsung device. For example see Usb charge - xda-developers

But if you've spent several hundred dollars purchasing a genuine Samsung phone or tablet, why would you shirk another $50 for the correct solution, a genuine Samsung charger?

Zara Shah

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you sooo much! My phone took 1 hour to go up by 5 %. One of the pins were missing, changed the cable and now it went up by 5% in 5 mins :D

electronicwiz1

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why but all the sudden, my phone takes 5 hours to charge! it just started taking this long about a week ago! I tried a different charger, different battery, and a different wall outlet but it still takes that long! It seems to stay at 64% for a while, then it just jumps from 64% all the way to 100%! What should I do to fix it? I would appreciate it if you guys can help me!

Posted via my AT&T Galaxy S3 running Android 4.1.1

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the battery calibration is buggered up. I thought I had seen some posts on how to reset this, but I don't remember offhand if it requires being rooted, or if there was a specific app that you could run.
Edit: a quick search of the Google Play Store showed 54 results - the ones that I remember seeing before all require root.
Another Edit: although it's not recommended that you run the battery all the way down, you may want to run it down to 10%, then plug it into the charger, then power it off completely until it's completely charged.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

sharvan

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
My s3 was also taking 5-6 hrs to get fully charge. When I check the usb cable pins on the phone end it was 4 instead of 5. I have a old same type of micro usb cable but having 5 pins, when I charge with that it took only 2hrs 15 mins to get the phone fully charge. So people having the same charging problem I suggest you to check with another cable also before sending your phone to the service center.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
sharvan,
Just FYI - cables with only 4 pins are CHARGING ONLY cables whereas cables with all 5 pins are also DATA cables. So I can only guess that there was something wrong with your original 4 pin cable.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

Raedq

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Excellent post,,, I've had the same issue with my S3, i'll add a bit of info as well:

In addition to the very very long charge time I also noticed how the battery graph (Settings -> Battery -> Touch the graph) for some reason doesn't show the time the phone was plugged to the charger at all... As if that time did not exist... Reading more though around the missing pin and factoring in that if there was in deed a missing pin it would be the power pin, I checked the micro USB port on the phone and thought even though I can't really see anything, I'm going to try to see if something was covering one of the receiving pins... To my surprise, after I've tinkered with a thin pin, I uncovered a piece of cloth that was jammed inside but was completely invisible. After poking it out, slotted the charger back and - you guessed it - charge started picking up :)